t-hunting boat

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
Anybody got any input on a starter thunting boat.i need to spend less than 10k(to stay married)i was looking @bayliners,but everybody says they're junk.also,feelings on io/ob vs ob.dual engines vs single .i had a 23' thunderbird 15 yrs ago.i called it my 10k kingfish boat cuz thats what i caught and thats what it cost(an expensive fish)it was a mercruiser w/chevy small 8, which blew on the 1 day it ran good(went out in a blaze of glory)any info/education would be much appreciated. thanks,keegah being able to be trailered would help

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How exciting, Keegah, to be able to move forward on your dream. It would help to know what you need the boat for. Are you looking at subcontracting with Mel Fisher? Do you want to mag or side scan rivers? What are your goals? If you've only got 10k to spend, is this for just the boat or total for this year? What are operating expenses going to be? Equipment beyond the boat? Detectors? Mag? Sidescan? Pulse sled?

Sounds like you're looking for a runabout or something along those lines. If you need blowers, check out

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,85817.0.html

or search "outboard blowers" in the tnet search engine for more results.

Most guys I know would rather dual inboards if possible. I/O's can be a pain to maintain, but whatever your preference. Let us know more specifics and maybe we can help you further. :)

Godspeed!
Darren

OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the reply.The 10k would be just boat/trailer not blowers/scan/mag.I live on the treasure coast, so it would be a Fisher sub-contract.Thanks for getting back to me.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Keegah,

I have been looking at boats now for over 9 months. It will certainly come down to your preferences. Are you looking for an overnighter or just a work boat? Definitely try to go with diesel but, they are hard to come by at reasonable prices. This one being offered by Dr. Molinari is a very nice setup. We seriously considered this boat, but the engine has major issues. When we pushed it, it started puking oil and smoking real bad. definite rebuild!

But I like the setup for 1715 and shallow water operations!

Attachments

• MolinaAd.jpg
    MolinaAd.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 378
OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the pics. i have to balance finances and family. i have 4 kids;3 boys(14/12/10) and 1 girl.i just got the 14 certified.I need something i can use for family fun and t-hunting(thunting not full time).Is there a best time/place to look for a boat? thanks for the help

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Ebay seems to do OK. The only down side is having to travel to go see the boats. There are plenty of boats down in Florida for sale. Alot of them are just not listed on the net or in the papers. I would start looking around some of the marinas and asking around. You would be surprised what you will find.

Best of luck.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Another great resource, especially in my area, is http://www.americanclassifieds.com (formerly Thrifty Nickel). This is the web version of the free advertising papers that are in most parts of the country available at gas stations, grocery stores, etc. I have been extremely amazed at what will be listed exclusively through their paper/website.

Pcolaboy

macblastr

Oct 17, 2006
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, 1280x, impulse
craigslist.org is another GREAT resource.

i owned a bayliner for 4 years... beat the crap out of it and had no problems. but as any boat owner will tell you - boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand.

do you plan on making a digger boat or are you looking to just use it for getting from a to b?

OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
I'm not a good enough sailor to mess around w/blowers@this point.Just something that will reliably get me back and forth to the search sights and something i can use recreationally w/my family.I'm not yet ready to give up my day job for full time thunting(gotta feed dem babies).Thanks

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

macblastr

Oct 17, 2006
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, 1280x, impulse
i have a 24 foot carolina skiff i might be willing to part with on an aluminum trailer with a 150 merc on it. get to the spots REAL FAST. I use it to go to the plate fleet.

OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
please send pics and info.thanks,keegah

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keegah,
older bayliners are ok,just as long as you rebuild them from the hull up like i did on a 1984 19 foot liberty.i replaced the stringers,bulkheads,foam,floor,put a dual carb 140hp in,carpet an seats an redesigned the engine compartment.the boat is like new again an now will last a lifetime.plus have the bimini and camper top with it all new.i named it "GoldenEye"was gonna use it for a treasure boat,but got a 40 foot aluminium twin diesel striker sportfish to use instead.GoldenEye sits on my dads lake,going to be pulling it out soon,i need a play toy for the st johns river an a support boat for the striker when i need to run from the next hurricane if we happen to get one this summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread