Spanish Presentation Pieces (Royals) - Info Request

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Note: This is also posted in the Spanish Cob forum, but thought it was appropraite here as well.

Hi, I am soliciting information on an article I am putting together on presentation pieces (royals) found on Florida wrecks. This would mainly mean Mexican gold examples from the 1715 fleet, however if there are others I would certainly like to know about them. I know about these lucky finders:

* Roy Volker - (? find, 1715 8 escudo)
* Bob Luyendyk – (6/87 find, 1712 8 escudo)
* Margaret Weller - (7/87 find, 1711 4 escudo)
* Unidentified retired couple – (3/89 find, 1715 8 escudo)

I also know about these in the Florida collection via Alan Craig’s book “Spanish Colonial coins in the Florida Collection”:

1714 1 Escudo Mexico J 11.00242
1711 4 Escudo Mexico J 11.01387
1714 1 Escudo Mexico J 11.00243
1698 8 Escudo Mexico L 11.01772
1714 8 Escudo Mexico J 11.01319
1702 8 Escudo Mexico L 11.01269
1714 4 Escudo Mexico J 11.01671
1702 8 Escudo Mexico L 11.00370
1702 8 Escudo Mexico L 11.01276

Note: The last number in each entry is the coin number, not sure if assigned by Craig or the state.

If anyone has any further information I would very much appreciate what you would openly pass on to me. Any first or second hand accounts of recovery, display, sale, etc. would be deeply appreciated. I will share my consolidated data sheet with folks who contribute useful material to my effort.

Best Regards,
Stan Dilcher
Atlanta, GA

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Contact Ernie Richards through his website: http://home.att.net/~EnRada/

He would be the best source I know of and has documented most of them. Molinar's boat also found one on the Cabin site back in the 80's and is well documented. We were working just south of them in McAllisters's lease area and found 3 gold coins the day before. They found a whole pile of them incuding the one Royale.
I remember the older couple finding one in the dune after a Norwester by Corrigans. We drove up there, but since the beach didn't look washed out at all, we never really looked. Remember reading that their car was broken into while they were searching the beach. Ernie has documented that coin as well.

SteveS

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
SteveS, thanks for the response. I know Ernie fairly well, in fact spent some time with him at Bob Weller's seminar last week. Also, I am becoming an amateur (wannabe) contributor to his PLVS VLTRA newsletter. So, I certainly will tap out his and Bob's knowledge on the subject.

You wrote:

"Molinar's boat also found one on the Cabin site back in the 80's and is well documented. We were working just south of them in McAllisters's lease area and found 3 gold coins the day before. They found a whole pile of them incuding the one Royale."

Can you tell me where this is documented? I have an extensive library that may include the account. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stan

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Stan,

Glad you got to meet with Ernie & Bob. Ernie should definitely be able to help you out. Frank Sedwick may also have some info and Ernie can get you in touch with him.
I meant to say the Nieves site, not the Cabin that Mo's crew found the Royal along with all the other gold coins. Myself and Bob Weller found the 3 gold coins right on the north end of McAllister's lease the day or two before Mo got wind of it and had his boat right by us in Fisher's lease area. A picture of his haul and the Royale, along with a relicarios that Harold Holden found nearby is on page 138 of the book Shipwrecks of Florida.

SteveS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread