Recomend a MD?

scuby22

Jul 5, 2007
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I first would like to say it's amazing the amount of loyalty that I sense from everyone on here. I have learned so much just by reading your posts.

I'm looking for a new underwater MD and wanted to get some sugestions. I am posting it here because I will be using on boat dives, not walking along the beach. I usually go with something used that is tried and true but takes a little skill. As opposed to the new techno that runs 600.00 and can tell the diameter of the coin. My budget is about $100.00.

Any advice would be great.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
scuby22 said:
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I first would like to say it's amazing the amount of loyalty that I sense from everyone on here. I have learned so much just by reading your posts.

I'm looking for a new underwater MD and wanted to get some sugestions. I am posting it here because I will be using on boat dives, not walking along the beach. I usually go with something used that is tried and true but takes a little skill. As opposed to the new techno that runs 600.00 and can tell the diameter of the coin. My budget is about $100.00.

Any advice would be great.

My advice would be to keep saving your money. Even if you could buy a used underwater capable machine for $100 (doubtful) it would not be worth using. Your personal time diving and the cost of tank fills while using inferior equipment will eat up any cost difference. I won't get into a brand/model discussion here, but you probably need to spend around $500 on a USED detector for decent performance. There aint no "NEW TECHNO" I know that is available for $600. And no detector for underwater service that can tell the diameter of a coin. Up that "NEW" figure to $900-$1700 and you will be a bit closer to reality. If you want to PM me I will give personal recommendations. Good Luck! Stan Dilcher

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh oh, you better sit down. If I get you right, you are looking for a functional underwater machine for $100.

Bad News - I dont know of one, unless you can find one at a garage sale. Some people put detectors in waterproof boxes and end up with low cost alternatives to dedicated water machines. But, for a $100? No way. Certainly not an underwater unit for diving.

Tell you what. If you DO find one, please let us know. I can promise that whoever makes it will sell a heck of a lot of them!

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to the forum,

I dont think you can get anything (good) for 100.00 some of the best MDs are the Aquapulse @ 1,200.00 (basic kit)
and the JW Fishers Pulse 8X @ 1,400.00 (basic) When I say basic means no extra toys.....
The best MD for a good price would be the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II @ 650.00

Good luck,

Chagy.....

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
If you check on ebay you can get a new one in your price range. I don't know how good it will be, but would be interested in knowing how they work if you buy one.
Seahunter

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, SEAHUNTER is right! There are 2-3 detectors in the $100-$200 range. One of them bears a suspicious resemblance to the Fisher 1280X!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2007-AQUAVI...6QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14955QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I suspect all of these are VLF knock-offs and so will likely be un-suitable for marine use. Too, I wonder about their watertight integrity at that cheap price. But I sure would like it if you got one, tested it and let us know how it worked out. Im tempted myself as a freshwater backup!

Here's a known good one, used, that can give you an idea of what a proven design goes for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Garrett-sea-Hun...6QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14955QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SaltyCracker

Greenie
Feb 19, 2007
I dont recommend Headhunter they flood a close friend had one flood the first day out sent it back on two occasions and it was "pressure tested" it was returned and photos on the DHL counter showed the earcups open and wet/moist I guess it was flooded on the "pressure test" and sent back DHL at his expense again flooded. Very poor backup and service and the fact remains it will always flood, I tried one from Ebay it works good for iron, on beaches its a Viper, my son has several units Fisher/Whites/Garret/EX Headhunter/, his Seahunter works well. Garret. All the best. Salty

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Aquavision's are Chinese detectors. Read the post section in off brand detectors for more information.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Go to the classified section under "for sale." There is a Minelab X-terra 70 for sale, $110.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I've said this before... the only way to get a good underwater detector for $100 is to save another $400 to $500 and get one. You're not going to find anything of even passable quality for that price. Save your money and get a good detector. Try ebay, or even the classifieds here for a decent deal on a used machine.

Machines that I've used and would recommend
Minelab Excalibur
Whites SurfPro PI (waterproof to 100' - although i took mine a little deeper)
Whites beachunter ID (not sure on its waterproof depth rating)

I know fisher and garrets also make (made?) waterproof machines, but i've never used them.

Please don't waste your money on a "cheap" machine. go check out the recent threads on that topic. You will just regret it, and more importantly, you will just be throwing your money away. If you spend $150 on a machine that turns out to be junk, and then spend $500 on a good machine... you just spend $650 for a good machine (and a coatrack).
steve

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I think the Garrett Seahunter Mk II is the best for your money if we are talking underwater detectors. You can find them on ebay for under $500 used and I have even seen them go as low as $325.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Sounds like a good recommendation unless you find someone who wants to give away a Fisher or Minelab. Stan Dilcher

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
whats everybody think about the aquapulse?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Aquapulse is probably at the top of the list. All the pros use it.

Attachments

• detector.JPG
    detector.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 434
  • detector.JPG
    detector.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 432

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
i guess i'm not as well read as i thought i was. 1st i heard of it! thanks! ben :o

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
SWR said:
Is that the one made in a garage or work shop over in the UK?

Don't know, but it's considered top of the line! I have talked with Aquascan, and don't think they operate out of a garage! But what difference does it make any how? It's a great detector!

OP
OP
S

scuby22

Jul 5, 2007
So the aquapulse is good? I can absolutely save some money and spend more. I would rather not waste $100 on something that will not perform well. It would be frustrating MD'ing around wondering if I was missing stuff because the detector wasn't good. Especially if it broke or quit working while on a dive. I guess a back up might be in order too. Ok, i have used a detector a couple times, but what is the steering wheel looking object for in the case that is pictured? Just a big handle to hold? Thanks for all your help. It really is invaluable. I could spend thousands of dollars on equip. that I would have no idea if it was good or not. With your suggestions I can make a better purchase. Thanks.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
SWR said:
Speak fluent Aquascan do ya? LoL (j/k)

It is considered top of the line because you spoke with them. wow :P

I thought this was the unit made by Eric Foster, the PI guru. Guess not. Thanks for the sincere reply ::)
Hey Jim,

Why are you always full of smart a$$ remarks? Can you contribute anything to this forum other than your negative remarks and attitude? I think you just enjoy pissing everybody off! If you want to share your thoughts on the Aquapulse, we would love to hear your opinion on it and not your idiotic remarks.

Aquascan is considered the best because it has proven itself in the field many times over. I don't know if Eric Foster designed the Aquapulse or not. I have read something along this line on other forums and spend quite a bit of time on eric's PI forum, but it really doesn't make any difference in this topic as to who designed it.

Personally I use a Garrett Sea Hunter and feel it is the better detector for the money. But the Aquapulse has better depth and a wider selection of coils and probes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions