HEADS UP Floridians! Cat 4 Knocking

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The latest 5-Day Forecast Track shows a worst case scenario with Matthew traveling up the Florida East Coast to off Jacksonville, then making what may be a complete 360 degree turn around by next Tuesday as a Tropical Storm. If this happens, it may re-generate to Hurricane strength. I haven't looked into the Models yet and definitely hope that if it does re-generate to Hurricane strength, that it does not slam in the East Central Florida Coast and head inland!

Frank

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
With its projected path near Daytona Beach, the interior of Central Florida will experience down trees, damaged roofs, flying screen rooms, and other items that can become flying missiles. Been through many Cat 3's that have caused serious property damage in Ocala, but never a 4.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wife's conference in Orlando decided to close early, and I got her a seat on a flight leaving at 6:15pm tonight. They have already announced the Airport will close at 8:00pm. There are 10,000 nurses attending this conference, so the scramble to get out two-days earlier than expected has made for chaos at the airport. Praying for my daughter and granddaughter across the panhandle in Lakeland, and that my Honey can get on that jet! :skullflag:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be safe out there everyone don't take any fool hardy chances and those rip currents are going to be nasty.

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.7N 78.4W
ABOUT 65 MI...100 KM SSE OF FREEPORT BAHAMAS
ABOUT 125 MI...205 KM ESE OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...939 MB...27.73 INCHES

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 50

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charley kicked our ass over here, Cat 3, back in 2004...... but it was pretty localized to SWFL.....
A Cat 4 up the length of the east coast....geez, this is gonna suck.

I hope everyone makes it through this ok...

The good thing for me, when there is a scare, I make bank....I've sold over 1200 bottles this week, along with 500 cases of H2O....
I won't sell crap next few weeks though....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kate is on the plane in Orlando, and they should be in the air within 20-minutes. She says the rain bands are just starting in Orlando.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good news, Terry. Glad she got onboard.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are starting to get heavy rain bands from the storm plus windy gusts. I am hunkered down as much as possible. Dave from repair center called me, he found mower shop that still had 12 generators I had them hold one for me, by the time I arrived they had 2 left and I bought both generators 2000 watt. They are impossible to find..... Generators have ability and cables to run both at same time in parallel and double the wattage output to 4000 watts.

We have a 5000 watt portable AC that allows us to cool our family room, I have curtain for the room and can keep the room at 70 degrees. Enough power to run the small AC and power TV, DVR, cable box and refrigerator......

We are stocked with plenty of food, milk, beer, vodka, scotch, 15 gallons of drinking water, 8 gallons of gas for the generators, both cars gas tanks are topped off, two bath tubs full of water and clothes washing machine, that water is used to flushed toilets and baths in case power is off for long time.

As long as we get no wind damage or flying objects hitting our windows we should be good here.

We are also set up to hit Daytona Beach as soon as they open the bridges up.......

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hope you guys only get a glancing blow to uncover all the treasure...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate getting a glancing blow.

:P

hunter harv

Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a little help here! I am a semi-experienced detectin' fool over here in the Naples FL area, drooling at the thought of what that hurry-cane might do. I don't know if the roads will let me get over there Sat or Sun or not, but if I can I will. I would be immeasurably grateful to find someone to go with who knows the area and its ins and outs. I tried my luck there once when the waves were little puppy dogs, but my luck wasn't trying to help me.
BUT this is the TIME. Is there anyone reading this who would consider allowing me to traipse along with you? If not, do you know anyone else who could take me along or give me some advice on that area?
I have a Garrett Sea Hunter II and a Garrett GTI 2500. For the latter, I also have the huge attachment, the Treasurehound, that five foot long double coil thing that supposedly can go down 6 or 8 ft for a large target (like a car or a chest of King Phillip's gold). I have a dry and a wet pin-pointer. I have a mosquito head net, too. ! Maybe some of this would be of help.
Grateful for any help,
hunter harv

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Matt is gonna give FLA a double tap.

(time for some of you to repent!) hahahahahaha

or sin more....hmmmm

Vote for:

( ) Repent

( ) Sin more

voting begins!

little hanging things will NOT be counted

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I should repent....
I lost power for about 2 hours....just came back on....
Thank goodness.,..baseball is on.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We are starting to get heavy rain bands from the storm plus windy gusts. I am hunkered down as much as possible. Dave from repair center called me, he found mower shop that still had 12 generators I had them hold one for me, by the time I arrived they had 2 left and I bought both generators 2000 watt. They are impossible to find..... Generators have ability and cables to run both at same time in parallel and double the wattage output to 4000 watts.

We have a 5000 watt portable AC that allows us to cool our family room, I have curtain for the room and can keep the room at 70 degrees. Enough power to run the small AC and power TV, DVR, cable box and refrigerator......

We are stocked with plenty of food, milk, beer, vodka, scotch, 15 gallons of drinking water, 8 gallons of gas for the generators, both cars gas tanks are topped off, two bath tubs full of water and clothes washing machine, that water is used to flushed toilets and baths in case power is off for long time.

As long as we get no wind damage or flying objects hitting our windows we should be good here.

We are also set up to hit Daytona Beach as soon as they open the bridges up.......

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Sound traveling as it does ,I chain my genny down.
A siphon hose for back up from fuel tanks around the yard.
Most new genny's need oil changed after several hours.
Hang in there T.H..

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew is tracking 52-82 miles offshore east of the gulf stream,so looks like the barrier islands will be spared. 214535W5_NL_sm.gif

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... maybe time to dust off the detectors...
Last time I was at Vero was after the last storm that made some great cuts.

Worked it from Bon Steel to Pierce.
Found lots of interesting stuff... just nothing from wrecks.

When I walked out on Turtle... there were 100's of detectors everywhere...
2 guys were in knee deep... and getting crap from the other detectorists... some yelling going on etc...
I turned around and went to Bon...

The guy at the Fishing Museum at Jupiter found a silver at Bon and told me where...
But...
None was there for me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... I might add...

I have a blunder... on this story...
First time I had a stripped out knob on detector... on discrim...
No clue why or how.
When you looked at it...
It was at 0-1... but really was at like 16 ish...
did no notice UNTIL pierce. :/

But ... had a great time partying with some fellow like minded folks in the RV park. :P

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I battened down the hatches and got all prepared. This storm was so bad I didn't even lose my satellite tv signal, much less my power which usually flickers in a regular thunderstorm. I'm heading to the beach to see how much sand got moved. Much ado about nothing here, which is a good thing I guess. lol

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt is right off the cape.88mph + 88mph.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn... that sucks only 88...