ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ask them point blank, they will tell you they require a permit for the mag. It is remote sensing equipment; maybe the definition of remote sensing means its at the end of a cable, I don't know.

Bottom line no one is going to lend you equipment with the possibility of it getting seized, which is a likely scenario. Why not file for a permit and do it the "right" way, then you are also protecting youself, and "your" search area? Either that or start looking for targets outside state waters. If you have proper research that shows that you might be on to something of value you can get some $$$ help. It is not easy, but nothing is impossible.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
NC Brad said:
If you ask them point blank, they will tell you they require a permit for the mag. It is remote sensing equipment; maybe the definition of remote sensing means its at the end of a cable, I don't know.

Bottom line no one is going to lend you equipment with the possibility of it getting seized, which is a likely scenario. Why not file for a permit and do it the "right" way, then you are also protecting youself, and "your" search area? Either that or start looking for targets outside state waters. If you have proper research that shows that you might be on to something of value you can get some $$$ help. It is not easy, but nothing is impossible.

Check this new thread to see what the FWC (marine patrol) said when I asked them directly. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,99068.0.html

On the second note, I've actually had three members of the board offer to lease me their mags but I do have enough sense not to risk losing someone else's or even my own equipment until I know what the proper methods are.

Nobody said I'm into this for any financial gain. I only want to fullfill my quest for knowledge. There are no proven and documented 'treasure ships' in my waters and to be honest I don't care. In terms of obtaining a "search" permit. It would be difficult to narrow down exactly what I'm searching for since there are literally hundreds of wrecks known to exist in Pensacola Bay. I'm only talking about hooking up a piece of consumer electronics to my boat and towing it around leasurely when I get off work in the afternoons.

With regard to the "right way". You can't just be some 'Joe Blow' and decide that you want to excavate a wreck and obtain a permit. In the state of florida you have to be incorporated and have a archaeologist to direct and document any recovery attempt. I think I need to make it clear that I'm not wanting to go disturb some historical wreck site. I just want to know and see what is down there. The right to know what is in my state's waterways should not be the exclusive priviledge of college kids in an archaeology program or some superfunded corporation with financial clout.

It should be my right to search for something that I have a pretty good chance of finding by accident anyway. Shrimpers have been ripping these wrecks to pieces for a hundred years now. Better I find something on purpose and not damage it, instead of randomly pitching my anchor somewhere that a historic wreck may lie on the bottom.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread