Barbuda HMS Griffin location

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Welcome to Treasurenet! You are welcome to ask almost any question. But, perhaps, you should first ask yourself - If someone does have the precise location, why would he (or she) share it to a stranger on the Internets?

With all due respect, a better inquiry might be to inquire if anyone could make some suggestions regarding how you might go about researching that wreck.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Does anyone know the exact location of the hms griffon slave ship that sunk near barbuda?
Mekong RYS, I probably have that information in my research. If this is David from Antigua. Send me n email and I'll get it to you.If you're not David, I'll still look for the info for you.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Very interesting. I was wondering why an "HMS" vessel would be characterized as a "slave ship." That didn't make sense.

From the article you linked:

"On the 27th October 1760, a British warship on her maiden voyage sank off Barbuda in the Leeward Islands and as a result the ships captain Thomas Taylor, along with his officers, faced a possible court martial."

"Possible?" A court martial was SOP after a captain lost his vessel. This was the formal inquiry into the disaster to determine the cause and who was at fault. Capt. Bligh faced a court martial after he lost HMS Bounty. We just watched the excellent movie Sully and saw Hollywood's version of the modern equivalent.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Mekong, Here is a picture of where the wreck is located on a reef off of Barbuda. I have a map of the location,might take me a day or two to find it and post it for you.
Since you're going to be down that way. Here is a map of where a Privateer Sunk off of Antigua. The Privateer is sunk right off the beach near Hawks Bill Resort off the west coast of Antigua.

Attachments

• 2746927332_3739319d45_o.jpg
    2746927332_3739319d45_o.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 260225_10150242218529452_3321983_n.jpg
    260225_10150242218529452_3321983_n.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Man is "THEE MAN".

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Mekong, one other thing you should know before you go after that wreck in Barbuda.
Mel Fisher, had a crew survey that wreck and then wub contracted the salvage rights to someone in the late 70's or early 80's.
I don't believe they found Anything of value.
If you want to go after a wreck off of Barbuda that is worth going after? I know of 2. One is off the S.E. coast. Off of Spanish Point in about 80 feet of water.
The other is a wreck off of Barbuda on the west coast on which locals have found some gold coins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MEKONG RYS

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old man, HMS grffin was purely out of self interest but tommorow im heading to the west side of barbuda, I would love it if you could supply me with any info on the wreck on the west coast and ide love to go check it out.

-mekong rys

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Mekong, I don't have any more info on the wreck on the west coast of Barbuda.
If I were you I would concentrate on the wreck off of Spanish Point. I know someone that got some nice treasure off of that one. One note of caution though. Watch out for the 14 foot Tiger sharks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MEKONG RYS

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old man, thanks for the help but sadly im heading to the west side and spanish point is in quite the opposate direction (also ive had my fair share of encountered with sharks amd meeting up with a tiger shark doesn't sound so great XD). Though tomorrow i will be heading to Antigua and i might stop to see what ur map about the cannons is all about( if u could send me some more info on it that might help me out that would be great).
Many thanks,
-mekong rys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread