Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Years ago I visited Cozumel Island off of Cancun.At the southern tip there is a lighthouse. At that time, it was manned by one family (one exposed light fixture, dirt floors and hammocks for beds. We made a deal with the dad; he would provide lobsters and we would provide the beer and tequila. Deal was made and a memorable (40 years ago and counting) meal was enjoy by all. But I digress......Years later, a close friend told me he had just returned from that same location, had met the old man who--after a while-- showed my friend a rain barrel topped off with Spanish coins found on the beach and in the sea. Neither my friend nor I have returned to Cozumel. You may want to do a little searching in that area if you get over to Cozumel.
Don.........

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I visited Cozumel Island off of Cancun.At the southern tip there is a lighthouse. At that time, it was manned by one family (one exposed light fixture, dirt floors and hammocks for beds. We made a deal with the dad; he would provide lobsters and we would provide the beer and tequila. Deal was made and a memorable (40 years ago and counting) meal was enjoy by all. But I digress......Years later, a close friend told me he had just returned from that same location, had met the old man who--after a while-- showed my friend a rain barrel topped off with Spanish coins found on the beach and in the sea. Neither my friend nor I have returned to Cozumel. You may want to do a little searching in that area if you get over to Cozumel.
Don.........

Wow! That's an amazing story! Thanks for sharing and I'll for sure check it out.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude I would definitely take the ferry over there after that story. I dont think youll get shot at. Once your in the water every one assumes your just a snorkeling tourist. If my boss takes the boat over to isla mujeries to sailfish I will definitely visit that spot don. Guns are frowned upon in Mexico unless your gov. Or cartel. That one just went to the top 10 easy to access treasure hunts. Minimal money, easy to find, and probably never MDed. Ill be google earth on that spot now. Plus my boss would love the sailfishing there. Would be easy to plan a vacation there.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don ill be the first on the list to purchase the book that you should write if you havnt already. Something like "dons lost treasure tales" or " mackys millions in lost treasure" or hell just some memoirs. !!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is at least one spanish wreck on the east coast of COZ, the surf conditions are so bad that you cant dive there except when you get rare weather conditions that calm the sea on that side. I would love to go dive the site but its almost impossible to plan it if you dont live there.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don.........

This is what this site " should" be all about. MD you just made my day !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less than 2 minutes on google earth shows an easy access world class beach dive location. Faro celarain light house. Plus several possible sites in the water that appear they could be ballast mounds. I wish I was going with you ohio adventurer. Mayan ruins close by too. I can see the surf that jason talked about but don mentioned coins found on the beach too. Go for it man. Im right behind you, ill get back there soon enough. Havent been to cozumel since 2007. Did the tourist thing then.

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Don.........

I knew the old guy, too. That is at Punta Sur,,, which is now a tourist park.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a nice park wether you found a coin or not it would be a great beach to comb. Looked to be a bit less surf there than the beach just north of the park entrance. There are some big salties there, ive found them to be ptetty shy here in the keys. I sure wouldnt turn my back on one thow. Big one could definitely make a meal of you. Wish I would have checked it out when I was there. Spent all my time in the bars. Funny how your priorities change with age. Nice mayan ruins at carocal.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another point about Cozumel........off the southwest tip is the Palancar Reef, the clearest water I ever experienced as a diver (back in the day).
There, I did my deepest dive (206') single tank. It was also my most stupid dive. I admit--seeing the bottom from the surface was quite an allure.The clarity almost gave me aquaphobia. My dive buddy ran out of air on the ascent and did not stop for the required decompression stop; I did. When I reached the surface, I expected him to be in agony. Instead, he offered me a beer and asked what took me so long !!
Don....

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like Jason said above, the water is pretty rough around this area in Cozumel.
I have been diving in Cozumel since the early 80's & try to go every year.

Hunan & Cannons
These are both rare dives as they are located on the "other side" of the island. You typically visit if there is a Norte. On this dive you can take the opportunity to see cannon balls that are believed to have be left by an old sunken Spanish ship.
Depth: 20 to 50 ft.

Robert Marx - Cozumel
Florida Institute of Technology: Online Media Content

This is not me, but is a cannon in Cozumel.

cannon2.jpg

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I knew the old guy, too. That is at Punta Sur,,, which is now a tourist park.

Yup...the Molas Point lighthouse. I know of 3 period spanish wrecks on the east side of the island... all VERY inaccessable from the beach. Only real way is off a boat, and weather conditions are a huge part of even being able to dive at all... without a good norther, the sea is just vicious.

Maybe one day I'll have another opportunity to spend some quality dive time poking around more thoroughly...

ag

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres what really fires me up about this thread. If the old man really did find coins, and I say if, I highly doubt that he was tank diving at all. It sounds like he was gathering coins with his bare hands off the beach and in the surf. Now I could be wrong and he may well have had some gear and used it on those rare calm days, but I have a feeling that a person with a detector and some gumption may well be able to scramble around on the beach and in the surf with just a mask and snorkel and get himself some coins. Now that old man might well have had a detector and used that to get some coins, but im more inclined to think that he eyeballed those coins. If, and again I say if he did just that, then there is a good chance that there are many more that cant be eyeballed until the surf stirs them into view, or more likly washes them out of the sand higher up the beach. Now I love diving just as much as anyone but I might like finding spanish treasure even more. If diving is part of that mission, great. But if I have to sit in the surf and pick through shells and get pummeled by waves all day to get a cob I will. For sure. I dont think the old man cared if it was diveable or not. He was gettin spanish treasure. Now I could be totally wrong about this..... im just tryin to read into what don told us. But if im right its no more than a taxi ride to the beach with my detector and a mask and snorkel while my wife drinks magaritas by the pool while we are enjoying our vacation.thats how I roll good odds and low budget. Some would call that easy to pick low hanging fruit. What do you guys think.....am I crazy or does that sound logical. These are the types of treasure spots I love little to no overhead involved and good odds !!!!

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bart..I agree with ya....for the most part. But after 2 boat dives and an afternoon trying to access via walkin...it's dicey. That shoreline is comprised of really nice beaches...with HEAVY break in alot of places...the rest is straight on the rocks, never had a chance heavy breakers. 2 of the sites I dove both had period anchors..I saw one canon...depths from about 24-45'.

This one is bad juju without the right weather...tho walking the beach would be interesting. It is abit removed from the Cozumel tourist grounds...outside of Coconuts and a few other places on the ONE road...ain't much around.

ag

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Living in a very remote area like that with little support, its virtually impossible to service tank fills, an electric compressor would be expensive for him ( unrealistic) and a diesel one ( like mine) in that environment in those days would likely to be more down than up......

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484052214.251897.jpg

I don't know the area but it does sound remote, as most light houses are. I imagine it being like lighthouse reef Belize?

Last edited:

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I shot these last year from the deck at Coconuts on the East side of the island.

cc.jpg

cc1.jpg

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it has become quite the tourist attraction these days. Very clean and nice. But still way off the beaten path. I used maps to view it and there were 133 pics in a photo cache connected to the light house. I could get a good feel for the surf conditions from them. Ag, jason, and mph are right it can get very rough. But it was about 50/50 with rough conditions and nice conditions. It seems to be a bit nicer than the coast just north of the park entrance. That looked really rough in most pics. I will definitely metal detect that beach when I return. Just dont know when that will be could be next year could be 10 years from now. Got to convince the boss to go. Or go on vacation with my fam. The punta sur park is a treasure in itself, its got me captivated. Myan ruins, crocodiles, beautiful beaches, and the lighthouse. Add some detecting to that, im in.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad ass compressor kevin. !!!

Top Member Reactions