Jamaica / Port Royal - Sunken Treasure?

CPGs1

Greenie
Feb 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi hunters-

Currently looking for leads on undiscovered or legends of treasure from shipwrecks in/around Jamaica. I know Port Royal is the hub with underwater city-is there more work going on in Port Royal?

Also if you know of an expert on the subject, would appreciate a referral!

Thanks all happy hunting.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Working on a television series?

Sir Robert Marx is your man here in the states for the history of the successful exploration of Port Royal. Last I knew he was living in Florida.

I'm sure the government of Jamaica can assist you regarding current activities.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, Bob Marx is THE Port Royal guy -although another forum member was here not long ago showing some artifacts from Port Royal. He had been there recently and might chime in as to what is going on now.
Robert Marx's FIT ecture on Port Royal can be found here: Florida Institute of Technology: Online Media Content
Texas A&M worked Port Royal for years - their project portal can be found here: Port Royal Project: Home There are also the Bob Marx New World shipwreck books to refer to on lost wrecks as well as Dave Horner's, Steve Singer's and Nigel Pickford's books.
More research materials can be found at: SUNKEN TREASURE BOOKS and here: Workman's Books | Discover Our Hidden Treasures

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Got some of bobs books. Guy knows his stuff

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CPGs1...

There is a great deal of information out there (books, videos, etc.) about Port Royal which are excellent resources for past research and salvage ops. However, currently Jamaica has very strict laws pertaining to "treasure hunting" in their island nation and Port Royal in particular is highly protected requiring special permission to even dive in the area of the sunken city... Not to mention, the waters there are horribly polluted (Kingston Harbor) and health precautions are a must for anyone who may obtain permission to dive there (which is not likely).

As far as shipwrecks and other areas of interest in Jamaica, there are many but I would suggest you contact the Jamaican Heritage Trust to request specifics on laws pertaining to these activities... You do not want to end up in a Jamaican jail!!!!

I have extensive info on Port Royal and some other historical sites but I would ask that you PM me directly if you would like to discuss it further...

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40580/40580-h/40580-h.htm

A General History of the Pyrates: by Daniel Defoe

Page 372

The Storm just spoken of, was found to have done incredible Damage in those Parts of the World; but however, it appear’d to have been more violent at Jamaica, both to the Island and Shipping, there was such a prodigious Swell of the Sea, that several hundred Tuns of Stones and Rocks, were thrown over the Wall of the Town of Port Royal, and the Town it self was overflowed, and above half destroy’d, there being the next Morning five Foot Water from one End to the other; the Cannon of Fort Charles were dismounted, and some washed into the Sea, and four hundred People lost their Lives; a more melancholly Sight was scarce ever seen when the Water ebb’d away, all the Streets being covered with Ruins of Houses, Wrecks of Vessels, and a great Number of dead Bodies, for forty Sail of Ships, in the Harbour, were cast away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread