Boca Raton,FLA

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
does anyone want to share any shipwreck leads in boca. i have been fanning the shallow rocks on the beach for about 10 years. I've found ship nails and a few spikes. I'm kind of late to the game, some very dedicated hunters have been all over it for years. add to that, beach nourishment and I'm lucky to find a nail nowadays. i love fanning . one old hunter got me started and i thank him by sharing any info on what i find and location. i recently got an Excalibur and thought this would be great for the kind of hunting i do. man, is it ever hard to work among those rocks. i long for the carefree day of just fanning. any stories would be welcome, just something to keep me going. thanks in advance.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
There is one that I have heard of, and I am sure there are others. Do a search here on TNet and see what you can find.

I don't know of any specifics, but YES, they are there!

P

paddy.mick

Remember, no one checks people in the water(unless you're real obvious), but add a metal detector to that scene and you're going to draw some real attention-perhaps lose the thing to Marine Patrol.
Paddy

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Just a thought,the Excalibur is not the most efficient for 'pokin' around anything.The Excalibur needs to be swung side to side.A pulse detector would be a better tool for the job,especially with a "probe" loop. ;)

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
There are numerous wrecks off Boca. We actually applied for and got the last admiralty lease inside State waters before the Abandoned Shipwreck Act went into effect for a wreck off Boca, though we later did get a State salvage lease, though never found what we were looking for.
You can find ships fastenings off Red Reef park, and ballast stones and fastenings have been found off other Boca beaches. One of the cannons found by my friend on the beach after a storm was donated to the city and is on display at "Gumbo Limbo Park". We found another swivel gun about a mile north of that one on the beach also. Another friend found a British Naval cannon and rigging from another wreck off the beach many years ago. There is a wreck referred to as the "Lumber Wreck" off one of the public beaches, whose whole wooden hull structure was usually visable back in the early 80's but has been buried since. We located what appeared to be the cargo from this vessel which included building materials like nails etc and were all burned, so the ship must have been of fire before it sank. A potion of the stern of an 1800's wreck complete with rudder gudgeon was found in Boca Inlet back in the 60's. We located another wooden hull wreck with a steam engine, and I could go on and on. Also a couple of very interesting treasure stories about Boca, and one does seem to have validity.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Hey wailimacs. Hope you weren't one of the lifeguards that was giving us a hard time just north of the public beach when we were working real close to the beach (just kiddin!). We showed whoever our lease papers and weren't bothered again.
I'm sure you must have heard some of the stories of the Boca wrecks. There's three wrecks right off where you were working that I know of.

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found some interesting things in the area that you speak of

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If anyone has tried to contact me regarding this topic, (soflhunter?) my TNET inbox is full. I can be emailed at [email protected]

I don't have much more to add than what Steve Singer posted here several years ago. Boca is his neck of the woods.

Go out there and look.....80% of success is just showing up.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions