Response from FWC on Magnetometer Usage

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Last week I visited the FWC's website and decided to use their AskIt tool to get their stance on the use of towed magnetometers in state waters. I have copied and pasted my question and their response below highlighted in blue:

Reference #
070717-000072
Topic
Tourism & Recreation
Boating

Category
Laws & Regulations

Date Created
07/17/2007 03:55 PM

Last Updated
07/25/2007 03:56 PM

Status
Updated

Contact Type
Question

Response (LE - EC) 07/24/2007 02:22 PM
Mr. Hall, Department of Environment Protection is who you need to contact regarding the use of a Magnetometer in State waters. I am guessing this has to do with treasure hunting. The boating safety issues would be; navigation hazards and proper marking of the equipment while in use. You may also want to touch base with the military base in your area because they may have restrictions that apply. Good Luck.

Customer (Scott Hall) 07/17/2007 03:55 PM
Can you please refer me to any specific guidelines, restrictions, or prohibitions of using a towed magnetometer in state waters? I live in Pensacola and would like to use a magnetometer in the bayous, bays, and nearshore gulf waters.

Thank you in advance,

Scott

So if I am reading this plain English correctly, the FWC has no enforcement jurisdiction when it comes to a towed magnetometer as long as it is safely visible and not obstructing safe navigation. I interested to see what the Florida DEP is going to tell me. I will post that next.

Pcola

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just put some plastic fish hooks on your mag.now you are trolling for fish.legal anywhere.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
that was so funny i spu-ed my beer through my nose. cat going crazy. she thinks something bad happened! still laughing!!!!! wow!!!! fisheye, nice one!!!!!! mean it! ben in n.c. my cat harley is ok too now. timing is everything and you were right on time for us. thank God i quit smoking! see ya in coco beach tomorrow!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the hard copy. I'm looking forward to the DEP answer. Unless someone can come up with the Florida Statute that prohibits the use of the magnetometer in State Waters, it should be legal. The only other issue is a County Ordinance, which can be MORE restrictive then State or Federal Law, not less.

The County Commission Office for your county will have the answer.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
GuyInBack said:
Thanks for the hard copy. I'm looking forward to the DEP answer. Unless someone can come up with the Florida Statute that prohibits the use of the magnetometer in State Waters, it should be legal. The only other issue is a County Ordinance, which can be MORE restrictive then State or Federal Law, not less.

The County Commission Office for your county will have the answer.

Still no word from the DEP...like that's a shocker. I think I'm going to rig up a dummy towfish this weekend and tow it around nearby where the marine patrol usually sets up for weekend alcohol surveillance. This is not to provoke them but rather to see if it causes any stir.

Pcola

vintagesailor

Jul 4, 2007
Of course you can always say that you lost your anchor and are looking for it with a mag a friend loaned you . . .

P

paddy.mick

you can say you're looking for a $40 anchor with a $5000 mag, but it'll boil down to the "spirit of the legislation" as they say.
Once I find something, it would be tough to resist sliding down there in gear, and then even tougher to resist pulling up a goody, only to surface (with typical luck) and find FWC moored to your rig. Oh, and you're over your scallop limit too!-there goes the boat...
Just be careful,
Paddy

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
paddy.mick said:
you can say you're looking for a $40 anchor with a $5000 mag, but it'll boil down to the "spirit of the legislation" as they say.
Once I find something, it would be tough to resist sliding down there in gear, and then even tougher to resist pulling up a goody, only to surface (with typical luck) and find FWC moored to your rig. Oh, and you're over your scallop limit too!-there goes the boat...
Just be careful,
Paddy

No worries...I will be doing it by the book but I can assure you that I will be as close to the limit of the law as possible without going over - granted that means I mind as well stay at home but you get the idea. ;D

Pcola

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Heres a thought. Buy a beat up dingy scuttle it in the area. Tell authorities that your boat went down in that area and you want to find it in order to salvage it. That would propably give you a search permit ;)

/V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread