Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
July 23, 2007

Dear Boater,

For 34 years the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has exempted discharges from recreational boats from the Clean Water Act permit system. Regretfully, a recent court ruling cancelled this permit exemption. EPA is required by the court decision to develop and implement by September 30, 2008 a national permit system for ALL vessels in the United States for a variety of normal operational discharges.

We have been working behind the scenes with other boating organizations to get the exemption reinstated for recreational boats. Fortunately, the Recreational Boating Act of 2007 (H.R. 2550) has been introduced by Representatives Gene Taylor (D-Miss) and Candice Miller (R-Mich) which would protect recreational boats from being swept into this unnecessary and expensive permitting system.

It is critically important that H.R. 2550 be passed and your support is essential. Please contact your Congressman and Senators TODAY and ask that they co-sponsor or support H.R. 2550.

If the permit system becomes a reality, you will be required to pay for a state permit for each of your boats. EPA will be monitoring your deck runoff, grey water, bilge water, engine cooling water, and the use of copper bottom paints.

The original lawsuit that led to this court decision sought to address ballast water discharges from large ocean-going ships, which can introduce damaging aquatic invasive species into U.S. waters. Keeping our waterways clean and preventing the spread of invasive species is of utmost importance to the future of boating. But taking a complex permitting system designed for industrial dischargers and applying it to recreational boats will not yield significant environmental benefits and it will come at a very high cost. Requiring recreational boaters to purchase a permit would not prevent the spread of invasive species.

Please ask your elected federal representatives to support H.R. 2550. It is common-sense legislation. As you send your emails to your Members of Congress, please copy BoatUS at [email protected] . We’d also like to ask you to send a copy of your correspondence to the EPA, so they can see how this will affect citizens. However, please know that if you choose to send it to EPA, it will become a part of the public record. EPA’s email is [email protected] , and your email needs to have a subject line with Docket ID No. OW-2007-0483.

Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.boatus.com/gov/HR2550FAQ.pdf

Sample Letter: http://www.boatus.com/gov/epa_letter.asp

Send an Email to Congress: http://www.boatus.com/gov/contact.asp

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my letter in over a month ago about this.usally big ships have processors on board to recycle all thier bilge water.seperating the oil from the water and re useing it in thier engines and generators.then pumping clean oil back to the ocean.for rec boaters i think its a waste of time for the EPA to get involved with this.they must be after the money.EPA needs to stick with the factories that are polluting our rivers and lakes.and cities that pipe sewage into the ocean and rivers.leave the little guys alone like us boaters."EPA will be monitoring your deck runoff, grey water, bilge water, engine cooling water, and the use of copper bottom paints."how is the EPA going to monitor my deck run off?it rains and washes off my boat.i dont use copper bottom paint.my bilge water is free from oil.so is my engine cooling water.theres no grey water.there are just too many boaters.more rec boating people need to know about this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread