sundays florida times union head lines"treasure hunters in area"jacksonville,fla

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sundays florida times union head lines"treasure hunters in area"jacksonville,fla

hummm seems that folks are finally starting to "wake" up about the very real possibilities of a 1715 fleet wreck in the area---I find it funny that just as I start to find and uncover my wreck facts to the state that the local newspaper head lines should read---"treasure hunters in the area"----guess I've woke up "folks" with my new research and maps and stuff---funny how fast "news" travels when its related to money,death or sex ain't it?---Ivan

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: sundays florida times union head lines"treasure hunters in area"jacksonville,fla

If your research and supplied maps with specific location information put the State people on it, it there anything in this for you? Or did you do someone's leg work for them where they will get a brass plaque somewhere in the halls of injustice?

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Re: sundays florida times union head lines"treasure hunters in area"jacksonville,fla

Read the article. The headline was a bit of a attention getter. Some interesting reading that focused on about 3 different detector users. The posted a coastline map and most of the wrecks they mentioned were WW II sunk oil tankers or shrimp/fishing boats and contempory schooners. Still like Ivan says the paper probably encouraged a few folks on the detector sidelines to rethink their positions. Looks like there is quite a detectorist right in my area. The article also briefly mentioned the different attitudes the detectorist and site preservationist have. More was mentioned of the three particular detector users and their finds and or shop. I'm located about 1 1/2 hour drive to the beach due to roads not being a straight beeline and traffic. I have yet to get out to the beach with my detector. All in all the article was interesting reading for anyone but was a supporting encouragement to anyone in the area with a detector although it did not cover specific inland areas and the restrictions placed on detector users. I found it interesting that they made reference more toward 20th century shipwrecks.
Ivan, Mel Fisher was the king back in 1969 when I started using a my first detector (Metrotech) and it took him a couple of decades to hit the big one. If you have a good site you might consider an attorney to protect your rights of salvage. The state moves slowly until they zero in on someone with a sure thing. Then they really get interested in the site and the person/s who made the find. We wish you the best in your particular hunt.
Yesterday I saw where New York had been taking bids on 500 pounds of non-US coins the article mentioned they would award the bid on Monday. It would have been nice had they announced this prior to a quickly closing date and some information on how to go about placing a bid. I wonder how crowded the beaches were last Sunday when the Times Union article came out?

JRich

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

I do know that there were a few beach hunters on the beach at the HI including my Brother In Law at 6:00 a.m. Sunday morning.
Of course I was catching some ZZZZZZZ at that time.
Peg leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread