Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Gasparilla !!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2017
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Gasparilla !!!

Hey all,

It's your TV producer friends again...wondering if anyone believes Jose Gaspar has lost treasure in Florida or other states. Any legend of missing treasure that ties to Gasparilla/Juan Gomez?

Appreciate you all very much
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    Feb 2004
    lake mary florida
    Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
    230 times
    Its a myth but go ahead and make a tv show about it since people that watch tv believe everything on tv is true.
    Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.

us
    Stickmarsh Jedi Master

Mar 2014
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Tesoro Sand Shark...... Atomic SV2 snorkel...... Scubapro Jet Fins................... Mares Puck dive computer....... Sherwood Silhouette BCD....... Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
    1130 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by CPGs1 View Post
    Hey all,

It's your TV producer friends again...wondering if anyone believes Jose Gaspar has lost treasure in Florida or other states. Any legend of missing treasure that ties to Gasparilla/Juan Gomez?

Gasparilla is the creation of an advertising brochure. There is no historical evidence to support his existence.

But its a fun tale.
    thetigers2 and ECS like this.
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

ECS
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7169 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Tampa's version of Marti Gras.
    thetigers2 likes this.

Aquanut

Jul 2005
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    1116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CPGs1 View Post
    Hey all,

I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong mast. Gasparilla never existed. Even the island that was referenced was in existence before his time. It was all made up. However, Juan Gomez was a very interesting story teller...
    thetigers2 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    With proper planning, and investments...my retirement age is now 92

Nov 2013
    Ft. Myers FL
    Garrett AT Pro is my go to machine....the Bounty Hunter and Deteknix Quest Pro are collecting dust.
    9830 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I lost a pair of Oakleys in Lettuce Lake....
    Probably the only treasure there.
    aquanut and thetigers2 like this.
    I invite you to visit my profile, look what I've found!

Be sure to check THE INJURY THREAD, in the General Discussion forum!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...unds-here.html
    and yes..I LOVE MY WIFE!

Super Bowl LI Champions

us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, a Fisher 1280X and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    952 times
    Shipwrecks
    I am starting to see a pattern here...
    thetigers2 likes this.
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage "C-31"
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    Wisconsin
    Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube
    634 times
    Shipwrecks
    hmmmm...and what pattern would that be?

curiouser and couriouser....

us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, a Fisher 1280X and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    952 times
    Shipwrecks
    In the words written by the philosopher Hoyt Axton ....and sung by a drummer who should have stuck to drumming...

"And I said
    No, no, no, no, I don't believe it no more
    I'm tired of fictional research piling up on the floor
    No, thank you, please, Juan Gomez made up stor eez
    Gasparilla just makes the tourists spend some more...cha cha cha.

Bum Luck, thetigers2 and Boatlode like this.
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage "C-31"
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    2340 times
    Remember that for every legand there is sometimes a grain of truth, and there is evidence of pirate habitation on the southwest coast of florida. And treasures have been found and coins and artifacts have been dug. And at a lot of different locations. What ever these characters were named I dont know but someone was over there, what I mean is multiple characters at different time periods, and multiple locations up and down the gulf coast. just a kyak ride can get you to some pretty interesting spots. Many have searched and many are still searching right now. Not for Gasparilla but for whoever is responsible for what has been found and discovered.

us
    Jun 2017
    Tampa Fl
    54 times
    As a Tampa native I can tell you that Gasparilla was made up by city leaders and promoted by willing newspapers ..
    They came up with a story that couldn't easily be proved ..or disproved...
    They proclaimed a holiday ... dressed like pirates .and fixed up an old wooden ship for their annual invasion..
    Just like Mardi Gras ..the Turnip Festival...and The Great Pumpkin....

us
    Jan 2012
    Haines City, FL
    186 times
    I hate to disagree with my knowledgeable ship wreck salvor friends, but I have done considerable field work in the Charlotte Harbor area, and know first hand that a friend (now deceased), and relative of pirate Juan Gomez, was handed down 7 maps showing the locations of treasure caches that Gomez, had buried along a planned escape route to be used if necessary. My friend, and his son's were able to recover 3 of these caches. The last of which was enough to buy himself a modest home on Marco Island.

Another Treasure hunter friend in Texas, Doc Wood, who followed Spanish maps handed down to him, and recovered 10s of millions of dollars in Spanish land Treasures (verified) told me they recovered a chest of Spanish Silver coins on the Island of Cara Pelu at 23 feet deep. He told me where to the side of the mound, and I found the remains of the coffer dam still there.

From what I have discovered in that area, there is no doubt in my mind there was plenty of Pirate activity in the early 1800's and there appears to be some truth to the stories of a pirate named Jose Gaspar. Dell
    Last edited by Dell Winders; Jul 01, 2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: correction
    Blak bart and thetigers2 like this.

ECS
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7169 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    L Frank Hudson got into serious trouble destroying Indian mounds looking for the fictional Gasparilla treasure and was the impetus for the State of Florida enacting those harsh recovery laws.
    Blak bart, thetigers2 and Salvor6 like this.

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    2340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dell Winders View Post
    I hate to disagree with my knowledgeable ship wreck salvor friends, but I have done considerable field work in the Charlotte Harbor area, and know first hand that a friend (now deceased), and relative of pirate Juan Gomez, was handed down 7 maps showing the locations of treasure caches that Gomez, had buried along a planned escape route to be used if necessary. My friend, and his son's were able to recover 3 of these caches. The last of which was enough to buy himself a modest home on Marco Island.

Another Treasure hunter friend in Texas, Doc Wood, who followed Spanish maps handed down to him, and recovered 10s of millions of dollars in Spanish land Treasures (verified) told me they recovered a chest of Spanish Silver coins on Mound Key at 23 feet deep. He told me where to the side of the mound, and I found the remains of the coffer dam still there.

From what I have discovered in that area, there is no doubt in my mind there was plenty of Pirate activity in the early 1800's and there appears to be some truth to the stories of a pirate named Jose Gaspar. Dell
    Im with you dell. Ive seen the evidence first hand with my own eyes. And although it might not be Gasparilla, there most certainly was pirate activity in Charlotte harbor. Many people have found caches and single coin finds and at more than a few locations. The entire west coast has its stories and they stretch from the pan handle to cape sable. Check out pelu island and others in the vicinity and you will be a believer. I think I spelled that island wrong. The clues are there in the form of black glass shards, square nails , pottery shards, and other items of interest. And even eveidence of other peoples digs from the past. I also know 2 very famous, popular, and successful treasure hunters who take all these stories very seriously and are searching in the area as we speak. I know that there is at least one person on this site who has looked around there for many many years. When you get down around shark river, cane patch, and cape sable you are in one of the most remote areas of florida and god only knows whats been stashed, hidden, or lost there.
    Last edited by Blak bart; Jul 01, 2017 at 04:08 PM.
    thetigers2 likes this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Haines City, FL
    186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS View Post
    L Frank Hudson got into serious trouble destroying Indian mounds looking for the fictional Gasparilla treasure and was the impetus for the State of Florida enacting those harsh recovery laws.
    I knew L. Frank Hudson. He may have been a petty con man, but he was not guilty of the charges brought against him by the State. Because he was well known for his books and articles on Treasure, the State used him to make an example of what can happen to Treasure Hunters, and any who publicly encourage Treasure Hunting in the State of Florida.

TRUE STORY: The Florida State Attorney General, sat in my living room and bragged about his convicting Hudson. He told me L Frank Hudson, deserved to be in jail because he was a pervert. When they raided Hudson's office/home he said there were pictures of naked women hanging on his wall. That was enough of a ranking State official's arrogance to anger me. I immediately asked the State attorney and his assistant to leave my premises. I certainly didn't see nude pictures on the wall as justification to ruin a man, especially when I knew for a fact the allegations that Hudson dug up an Indian mound with a Bulldozer, were false and untrue. Dell
    Last edited by Dell Winders; Jul 01, 2017 at 07:53 AM.
    Blak bart and thetigers2 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links