main beach wreck off of fernandina, fla --highly possible ( rough) id of it

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
due to bits of wreckage that I have found and seen found from the "known" (its marked on sea charts of the area) wreck site just off off main beach in fernandina, fla ( a good amount of green edged english plate shards of a pattern that was highly popular "trade item"from 1810 to 1830 from shaffordshire england --plus copper hull sheathing and bronze / brass nails of they type used in english vessels around the early 1800's period )---I feel safe in saying that the vessel that was sunk there was most likely a "inbound ship coming from england to amelia island " (since the "trade item plates" were still onboard at the time of wreckage she had not yet "made" port to "unload" them--thus she was inbound") this narrows down the pool of ships by several ships that were listed as "outbound vessels" ---- it was a english "lumber" trade vessel from the 1810 to 1816 time frame ---there were over 24 british vessels lost in the time frame most of them during the early "embrago days" that happened just before the war of 1812 ---the port was busting at the seams with business's "trans shipping" american goods that made their way in "spanish " fla via land from georgia and goods to be smuggled back into georgia thru various routes like KINGS FERRY CROSSING most were lost between 1810 to 1812 time frame period on and around amelia island---sadly very little "cash" money was carried upon them normally just trade goods and "letters of credit"--- just thought you'ld like to "know"-- the waters in this area are "leased out to a local treasure hunting firm " by the state by the way --- my finds were strictly beach finds ---waterline to dunes --nothing of "great monitary value" but interesting none the less to me and was good "practice" and a bit of fun ---Ivan

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
I was just over there at Floridinia beach on Saturday after the treasure hunt beach party. I wish i would have stopped to do some hunting! Maybe this weekend.
malady

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I try --this is a common "lesser type wreck" that most serious treasure hunting folks will not mess with ---because its not not worth big $$$ ---but good for folks wanting to find a few shipwreck tidbits like pottery (plate shards) or a bit of copper sheathing or maybe even a brass or bronze type nail still stuck in a bit of lumber that has washed up on the beach ---thats why I posted it -- to let folks learn it --learning about wrecks in their waters make folks take an interest in them and want to learn "more" --its the nature of mankind --once we start to learn we always want to know "more" --thats why kids will start on something and why? you to death on it or ask nearly impossible to answer questions -- Ivan

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
To hold a pottery shard in my hand or a peice of wood from a ship from the past is priceless to me. I just wish it could talk!
Thank you Ivan, I will definately check it out and hope Im lucky enough to find some.
malady

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
oh but it does "talk" to me ---the "tidbits" of wreckage that I and a few others found "told" me -- that its high probility ---1810 to 1816 british "lumber vessel--( large amounts of english plate shards )-- green edged ,pearlware a pattern that was "highly popular" from 1810* to 1830 carried as "cargo" from england to the area--thus she was "inbound" with the plates from england had she made port the cargo would have been "off loaded" and lumber put aboard---the plates were made made in shaffordshire england -- that combined with the fact with the copper hull sheathing and brass nails ---both early 1800's* period type stuff- plus "knowing" the fact that 24 "british"* ships that were engaged in the "lumber"* trade went down between 1810 and 1816 ---most of them between 1810 to 1812 * (18 of the 24) ---(the american "embargo act" made "spanish" amelia island a very "busy" port indeed with smuggled goods coming both to and from georgia -- however after the war of 1812 things fell off rapidly for the port ---so 75% chance tha its a 1810 to 1812 vessel -- of the 18 vessel of the time frame 7 were listed as "out bound" --so down to 11 vessels --of the 11 vessels 6 were reported "lost on the "bar" the "bar" was at the northern tip of amelia island --(pelican schoal at the northern tip is a natural ship trap) thus leaving 5 ---the cargo's ---cargo were wrong on a two of them--exsample one listed her cargo as cotton --(which means she had already "off loaded her "british cargo" elsewhere and picked up "american" cotton for its return voyage and was thus just "passing by" when she wrecked ---cotton was a bigtime "american" export product of the day) --so there are still 3 left --if one where to check the list in lyolds of london --(they insured the vessels back then-- for the ships "manifest" which had to be submitted to be "paid" for the "loss" by the ship owners ---and check them maybe one was and the other 2 were not carrying plates ---thus the mystery who it is would be solved ---iwho is the "main beach wreck" ? ---I feel safe in saying that theres a very high probility its a -- 1810 to 1812 era inbound english "lumber trade" vessel---so in effect in a odd sort of way ---a wreck does "talk" to me and tell me "things" about itself --- Ivan

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
Ivan,
I hope one day I find that piece that whispers wonderful stories to me also. Thankyou for sharing your story.
malady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread