cape canaveral restricted zone

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Wow, That is really a big deal! I am sure there are countless wrecks to be found in that area!

Thanks for posting!

Robert

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's funny how quickly we go off topic here. It quickly went from Cape Canaveral security restrictions being lifted, of which there were two replies, to a thread about a ship off California. >:(

Here is the article in it's entirety:

Shock: Canaveral Bight re-opens

Prime sportfishing area had been closed for nearly six years amidst security concerns

BY BILL SARGENT

PORT CANAVERAL - In a sudden and unexpected move, U.S. Coast Guard officials last week announced the re-opening of the Canaveral Bight security zone.

Anglers were shocked because many felt the closure to the prime sportfishing area was permanent.

The 3-by-23-mile zone totaling 69 square miles of ocean had been closed to the public for nearly six years. It was locked down soon after the 9-11 terrorist attacks in 2001 when authorities secured the borders around the Kennedy Space Center and the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

The announcement came Tuesday from Roddy Corr, the chief warrant officer for the Port Canaveral Coast Guard Station at a special meeting of the Canaveral Charter Captains Association.

"The public has the right to use the waterways. We did not feel that we needed to close that area," Corr told the meeting crowd, mostly charter boat captains.

"You can run anywhere you want along the beach. You can spit on the beach if you want," said Corr, drawing a laugh.

Corr pointed out that the area will continue to be closed four days in advance of space shuttle launches and four hours before rocket launches.

This inshore area historically has been exceptional for a wide range of ocean fish including king mackerel, tarpon, cobia, tripletail, snook and pompano. The beachhead in the bight drops sharply into a deep trough paralleling the beach and forming a natural feeding zone.

The bight also offers a haven for small boat anglers who find protection from the northerly wind during winter cold fronts.

For those reasons and more, anglers and charter captains lodged numerous complaints about the closure with Air Force and Coast Guard officials. Magazine and newspaper accounts were written about the closure and its effect on the sportfishing industry.

After Tuesday's announcement the word spread quickly and Canaveral anglers started celebrating. Many headed for their boats and the launch ramps to explore and fish the new-found waters. There were days last week when 50 or more boats were spotted inside the Canaveral Bight.

The entire security area, which includes a very shallow shoal at the tip of Cape Canaveral, extends past the Cape to the offshore "A-Can" buoy on a line east of Haulover Canal.

While there are other agencies involved in the security enforcement in and around the KSC and the Air Force Station, including the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office, the Coast Guard takes the lead, Corr said.

"The Air Force and all security personnel approve of this decision to re-open," Corr said assuredly.

Anglers inside Port Canaveral also got a bonus because security restrictions along the north jetty and in the Middle Turning Basin were lifted.

"People can anchor up right along side the jetty, as long as they don't set foot on the jetty," Corr said.

In the Middle Basin anglers must follow the standard security restrictions set up for vessels and docks.

The Trident Basin, the eastern most basin in the port, will remain closed.

Contrary to early reports, the eastern half of the 8-mile long No Motor Zone in the Banana River also will remain closed. Only the western half of the zone will be open to the public.

Mark Carstens, the Coast Guard's Space Launch Coordinator, said the security and safety zones during space shuttle launches will continue to be expanded well beyond the Canaveral Bight area.

"Those zones vary according to the flight azimuth of the vehicle," Carstens said.

Details of those closures will be offered through the local media as well as VHF channel 81, or by calling Carstens office at (321) 868-4238.

Historically a "red ball" system on a 90-foot pole on the beach immediately north of the entrance to Port Canaveral has been used when security zones are closed, and this visual notice, which includes a rotating red light, will continue for mariners.

Corr said a "misconception" by officials of the original emergency regulation for the Canaveral Bight closure accounted for the nearly 6-year delay for re-opening.

"Everyone thought it was a permanent security zone after 9-11 and we didn't realize that it had expired," Corr said. "At this time we simply want to go forward with the new regulations."

Officials and members of the Canaveral Charter Captains Association were among those working to get the closure lifted.

Boaters are finding that the deeper cuts across the shoal around the tip of Cape Canaveral have filled with sand during the six years making navigation by larger boats hazardous.

"I don't remember it being that bad before the closure," said Jim Ross, an inshore and shallow water guide. "Outside of those with small skiffs there will be problems crossing the shoal."

Boaters must navigate eastward around the shoal.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Just because you can go up the coast does not mean you will be permitted to salvage anything.
I know where there are a couple of ship wrecks that are easy to get to RIGHT NOW.
And just think the Fishers do not get a share IF you are allowed to recover anything. I wonder if the State will demand their share?
Peg leg

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been some legal permitted work inside the security zone in years past. If you can get an exploration permit from the state, and you find something the next hurdle will be with the Feds over the "Canaveral National Seashore".

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Diverlynn...are you implying the 5 that have not been found also??? If so, I would have to say that's very UNKIND indeed...unless, of course, those wrecks are located in lease areas they already have...which I DO NOT think they are...Please clarify...

Blacksheep6...

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Diverlynn,
From your statement I can only assume that the Fishers have the rights to ALL the ships sunk during the 1715 off the east coast of Florida but what about those that sunk in International waters and what about the ships located in the Cape Canaveral area.
"The KING is dead Long live the KING"
Peg Leg

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I did not mean to offend anyone here, by no means, I meant no harm. I am just referring to Taffi's quote on the forum. EXCUSE ME

Diverlynn

Email from The Fisher Group Today

Hi All, Technically, that is true. Our admiralty claims give us the rights to all of the remains of the 1715 Fleet wrecks, the Atocha, and the Margarita, "Wherever they may lie", as long as we use due diligence in the continueing attempt to salvage them in an archaeologically and environmentally sound manner, which we do. I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have on this.

Best regards,

Taffi Fisher Abt
(provided by Cap Z.)

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa....Was NOT Implying ANYTHING NEGATIVE at all towards you Diverlynn...just asking for clarification to make sure I understood completely what you were saying...if it came across as accusatory, my sincerest apologies...with one of you on the Polly and the other one on Conquistador I DON'T need to be PO'ing anyone off down there...hope this clarifies my post...

Blacksheep6...

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Does this mean that you can use a FISH FINDER off the National Seashore Park or maybe even dive for Lobster. ::) ::) ::).As long as you do not use any type of metal detecting device.
Peg leg

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Roger that Gdaddy...I have seen it before here but can't find the thread...and as far as I'm concerned, the fact that the Fishers ALREADY have the lease is a plus...that way no matter where the other 5 are found, all with a lease will be covered...be our damned luck they were shadowing the Griffin and are 200 miles out...lol...

Blacksheep6...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Our admiralty claims give us the rights to all of the remains of the 1715 Fleet wrecks"

If this is so true,then why is the state giving out exploration permits to other treasure companies on supposed new found 1715 fleet wrecks?

Anyone have a copy of the fishers admiralty claim?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread