Wood from shipwreck?

fishingray

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I came across this 12' x 12' timber (appears to be oak) on a remote section of a beach. It has wood pegs recessed in both sides. The one end is square cut and the other broke off. I also found this small piece very close to the larger one. It has two pieces of wood being attached to some type of material that is hard but not metallic with a metal rod. Any clue if these could have come from a ship? I know there were many shipwrecks off of this island in the 1800's. Thanks.

Attachments

• wood2.JPG
    wood2.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 309
  • wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 287
  • wood5.JPG
    wood5.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 259

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The middle picture looks like JB Weld. The 2 lower pictures look like wood post in 2 part foam. Hard to tell maybe part of a floating dock?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think it's old, and have kept it, you will need to submerge it in fresh water for months to get the salt out. Change water frequently, otherwise it will turn to dust in some years from now.

OP
OP
F

fishingray

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve. The large piece is an old piece of oak I believe. It weighs about 120 pounds and is a solid 12" x 12" timber.

OP
OP
F

fishingray

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting smokeythecat. I didn't realize wood like that needed to be soaked in freshwater to preserve it. I am going to go back out today with a cart to pick it up. It definitely looks old. The nails stuck in it are hand forged.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ok I see it now. A big block with big wood pegs. Yes it is most likely old

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread