Boats (and other things) washed up by hurricane Irma

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to have one of those abandoned 40' sails laying in that yard.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason I was just down there last week with Aquanut. Here is a 40' sailboat. Yours for the taking. They just want it out of there.

DSCN3952.JPG

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason I was just down there last week with Aquanut. Here is a 40' sailboat. Yours for the taking. They just want it out of there.

View attachment 1525794

If I was there and the hull looked intact, I'd be putting lift bags on it and a pump in its bilge. Sadly, being employeed in OK restricts me a lot.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the head of keylargo is a giant lot filled with derelict boats. Lots of sailboats. My neighbor got a nice world cat powerboat. He got the title for 1000$ and after a week of work he flipped it for 25000$. Theres money being made down here on these boats. Last month they had pulled 1600 boats after the hurricane that were all abandoned by there owners.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What kind of work? General cleaning and resurfacing or mechanical?

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would like to get a sailboat in the 45' range. Would like to get some contact info for some resources to check with. It would be great if you took the time to give me some contacts via e-mail or message, thanks.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look, spectacular buys on sailboats come up all the time.
I bought a fine looking, diesel powered 1985 Catalina 27 last year for less than $3000.
It looks good, has just over 2000 hours on the universal diesel, has an impressive sail inventory and several upgrades including a macerator and a self steering system. It is a clean, good looking boat.
Circumstances often drive people to sell boats for much less than they are worth.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other

I like the last pic :-)
Importand Question: if a boat is washed up "into" your house wich is build directly on the shore , are you the legal owner of this boat now ?
Just wondering because in my country finder is keeper of any shore finds :-)
A nice reason to buy a property on the shore, wait for the next big storm wich may washes up a 500 Million Rothschild yacht :-)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of work? General cleaning and resurfacing or mechanical?

Both darren. these boats all went down or were grounded, and washed ashore. Ill take a pic and try and get some info tomorrow. Got to be 20 or more boats in the lot. Sorry guys I didnt check this thread in awhile. Lots of deals all over right now.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the happy days of boat ownership are typically the day you buy it and the day you sell it ...ships tend to be money pits

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the happy days of boat ownership are typically the day you buy it and the day you sell it ...ships tend to be money pits

Bs, I loved every day i owned my boat and i was really sad to find it beyond feasible repair when i got home from Iraq

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bs, I loved every day i owned my boat and i was really sad to find it beyond feasible repair when i got home from Iraq

Owned 4 boats when I lived in the Keys in the ‘80’s and early ‘90’s and though I had a few issues here and there, I enjoyed every day on the boat with the family, wouldn't trade those days for anything.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7970.JPG
IMG_7968.JPG
IMG_7971.JPG IMG_7966.JPG IMG_7975.JPG IMG_7969.JPG IMG_7967.JPG IMG_7973.JPG IMG_7974.JPG IMG_7976.JPG there are rows and rows of boats that if not clamied by the owners will be crushed. These are just a few. Ill see what I can find out about claiming them FWC seems to be in control of them .this pile is at mile marker 106 in keylargo. 1600+ boats have been removed after irma. I guess I would start by calling FWC .

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres a 37 cherubini in there jason !! It makes me sad.

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
It is very sad but almost all of these are junk. Only the ones that stayed afloat can be reasonably saved. Broke my heart watching them broken up on Big Pine every day for months.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I watched them haul them all off about 3-4months ago. I sked several people about them and no one really wanted to get involved in trying to get titles and go through the process of gaining owenership of the few that were worth saving. Even some of the bigger salvage companies were content to watch them go. Out of sight, out of mind. Hauled off and broken up. So many broken dreams !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread