OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
can someone tell from this pic what kind of wood it is?

IMG_6803.JPG

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a Find! And, what a job - restoring a BOMB...!
Take care, and thanks for sharing...!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They are usually made from local available wood. What country do you live in?

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
They are usually made from local available wood. What country do you live in?

-

Germany but the Grenade is from Dutch East India vessel Princess Maria, sunk 1686 at the Islands of Scilly UK

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was going to say it looks like teak but that wouldn't be possible for a vessel that has never been to the East Indies. It's also well preserved for a 330 year old grenade like teak would be.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can someone tell from this pic what kind of wood it is?

I usually go to the local wood carvers, especially the ones that make bowls...they seem to be very keen on wood types. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
A quick photo of one particular cleaned and preserved tube with musket ball from inside. Shining comes from flashlight.

Some of the tubes are smashed and the thinner ones lost some material at the bottom. But this is later not visible because I have to make a reconstruction of the inside to put the tubes back in place.

The entire inside with the tubes is a conglomerate of sand, small stones and corrosion of the bronze parts which has to get apart...

I try to take this out and care at first on the leather!

1.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Just found inside of the encrustation traces of wood! So there was n´t only a construction of this thin metal inside but also a wooden core which holds the tubes! Now I have to figure out how it has looked with the thin outside layer of metal which is complete smashed.

Have to get anything apart and bent back the thin metal to figure out the original shape and compare it with the original size of intact leather case.... will be a lot of puzzling :BangHead: :tongue3:

Just luck that some parts of the leather has still the original high and that the bottom with rounded sides is still intact, so I have the original size at all.

IMG_6812.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
An other smaller Cannon Ball I restored a while ago.

c-ball.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a talented & patient man , your restoration work is amazing to a guy like me who wonders 'still' why the square peg wont fit in the round hole .???

I look forward to seeing the result of yr future projects.
Davey

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree Davers, Tom is not only talented and patient, but he has the greatest sense of humor. Nice work Tom :icon_thumleft: ( Don't let Tom you fool you, he IS the guy who makes a square peg fit in a round hole :laughing7: )

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Meanwhile something different.

Cleaning of an 18 dynasty royal or noble sarcophagus mask. All this traces of stucco and the stuff Termites leaves after eating wood was too disturbing and hiding a real piece of art. So the owner wanted this stuff to be removed, so the piece will show its fantastic facial impressions.

m1.jpg m2.jpg

----------------------------------------

Restoration of a queens Ushabti figure. All her shabtis that was found before 1900 was broken in many parts and completely mixed up when they gone to museums and collections. Also this 3 parts was from 3 different figures and was put together in an early restoration to one piece. Unfortunately it was made very ugly and they also has grind down all parts to make them more or less "fit". The photo shows this pieces after removing the old glue and how I put is together, reconstructed the missing areas and painted it include the missing glyphs. The restoration is not recognizable now.

747333.jpg

----------------------------------------

A Flail of a huge egyptian Kings figure.
Made of Silver, Gold and stones
The massive cast silver base was cleaned and put together with black colored epoxy which was later not to see because most of the silver was changed into black oxyde. Most of the gold wire was still there at the crack and just also covered with silver oxyde, so it was only neded to bent them back into position after cleaning. The missing stones was carved out of original used stone and glued in to cover the crack and to make visible how it has looked when it was an intact piece.

888443.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
More

This was a work for an exhibition. Bronze age inventory of a woman's grave.
The earrings was thin like paper and a complete mess as you can see. The archeologist thought they was not to rescue.
Pic below shows the inventory include this earrings in the exhibition :laughing7:

97555552.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions