Odyssey Marine Article...

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff K said:
The golden raising of HMS Victory: Predecessor of Nelson's flagship to be recovered from sea bed 300 years after she sank carrying treasure 'worth £500m'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-years-sank-carrying-treasure-worth-500m.html
The Dutch financial publication Amsterdamsche Courant reported on November 18, 1744, a month after the ship sank : "People will have it
that on board of the Victory was a sum of 400,000 pounds sterling that it had brought from Lisbon for our MERCHANTS"
Interesting A WAR SHIP carrying merchant goods !!
Ossy

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Jeff K said:
The golden raising of HMS Victory: Predecessor of Nelson's flagship to be recovered from sea bed 300 years after she sank carrying treasure 'worth £500m'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-years-sank-carrying-treasure-worth-500m.html
The Dutch financial publication Amsterdamsche Courant reported on November 18, 1744, a month after the ship sank : "People will have it
that on board of the Victory was a sum of 400,000 pounds sterling that it had brought from Lisbon for our MERCHANTS"
Interesting A WAR SHIP carrying merchant goods !!
Ossy
Yes, very interesting !!

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
U.S. Firm Ordered to Hand Over Treasure to Spain

MIAMI ? The Florida firm that salvaged $500 million in gold and silver coins from the bottom of the Atlantic in May 2007 will be forced to hand over the treasure to Spain unless the U.S. Supreme Court intervenes.

In a brief ruling seen by Efe, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta rejected on Tuesday a motion from Odyssey Marine Exploration, Inc. to stay the same court?s November decision ordering the company to turn over the hoard.

Odyssey has asked the Supreme Court to hear its appeal, but the process put in motion by the 11th Circuit?s decision will continue in the meantime.

The 11th Circuit will formally convey its decision to the District Court in Tampa that originally heard the case, which will then establish a timetable for the handover of the coins.

The formal notification should happen within the next 10 days, the attorney representing the Spanish government, James Goold, told Efe Tuesday, suggesting that the U.S. Supreme Court is very unlikely to agree to consider Odyssey?s appeal.

U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday ruled in December 2009 that Spain was the rightful owner of the treasure Odyssey salvaged off the Portuguese coast in the same area where the Nuestra Se?ora de las Mercedes, a Spanish navy frigate, was destroyed in battle in 1804.

Within days of recovering the $500 million in coins, Odyssey took the loot to Gibraltar and loaded it onto a chartered Boeing-757 for transport back to Florida.

The treasure remains at a secret location in Florida.

Madrid says the treasure came from the Mercedes and that the vessel and its contents rightfully belong to Spain under the principle of sovereign immunity.

Odyssey, however, contends that contemporaneous Spanish diplomatic communications show the Mercedes was on a commercial mission at the time of her sinking, invalidating Madrid?s sovereign immunity claim.

The 11th Circuit upheld Merryday?s decision in November, prompting Odyssey to apply for a stay pending its last-ditch appeal to the Supreme Court. EFE

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=466996&CategoryId=12395

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spain should learn a leason or two from the British on this new way forward.

Maybe Ossy and Alexandre should apply for a job !

You can always put me down as a reference ;D

OP
OP
jeff k

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Jeff K said:
The Dutch merchants probably got paid eventually. The descendants of whoever was sending the money may have a claim, but will have to show they have a legal right to it. Just being a descendant means nothing.

I bet I can track all that money to rightful descendants. There's no one better than me at Portuguese archival material related to ships and their cargoes.. ;)

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
Jeff K said:
The Dutch merchants probably got paid eventually. The descendants of whoever was sending the money may have a claim, but will have to show they have a legal right to it. Just being a descendant means nothing.

I bet I can track all that money to rightful descendants. There's no one better than me at Portuguese archival material related to ships and their cargoes.. ;)
Alexandre, Can you confirm that 400,000 pounds of gold did leave Lisbon? Odyssey say 4 tons of gold?
Ossy

OP
OP
jeff k

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Back in 2,000 the Supreme Court would not let David Horan present his appeal against the decision of the Court of Appeals in the SeaHunt case involving the Juno and LaGalga, even though he assembled a pretty good argument. (which David let me read) They only allow a small number of appeals, and it doesn't seem to be based on how good a case there is. Does anybody know the basis on which they select which appeals they will hear, and why Odyssey might get the nod?

Mariner

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariner said:
Back in 2,000 the Supreme Court would not let David Horan present his appeal against the decision of the Court of Appeals in the SeaHunt case involving the Juno and LaGalga, even though he assembled a pretty good argument. (which David let me read) They only allow a small number of appeals, and it doesn't seem to be based on how good a case there is. Does anybody know the basis on which they select which appeals they will hear, and why Odyssey might get the nod?

Mariner

http://translate.google.com/transla...w.abc.es/agencias/noticia.asp?noticia=1096842

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread