OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any witnesses of the structure floating along the shore? I'm wondering if it was truly washed ashore or exposed by beach erosion.

Copper sheathing was minimally used by Spain and then mostly during after 1800.

Ship sheathing began approx...
Spain 1514
Portuguese 1580
English 1760
French & Dutch 1780

Copper on English ships approx; 1770
Spain 1810
French 1778

Source Treasure Diver's Guide. pages 58, 61-62

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Are there any witnesses of the structure floating along the shore? I'm wondering if it was truly washed ashore or exposed by beach erosion.

Copper sheathing was minimally used by Spain and then mostly during after 1800.

Ship sheathing began approx...
Spain 1514
Portuguese 1580
English 1760
French & Dutch 1780

Copper on English ships approx; 1770
Spain 1810
French 1778

Source Treasure Diver's Guide. pages 58, 61-62

Thanks for the info. This should be included in my other post on the other thread pertaining to this wreck. It is most definitely "new" and not just been exposed by beach erosion. Based on the info that you provided, I guess I can eliminate my fanciful dreams of Hobbit's thread.

Edit - I couldn't remember which came first the lead or copper. I know about the 1715 fleet and the lead sheathing. I thought that the copper predated the use of lead. Hence, my idea pertaining to the 1641 Fleet.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
guana river state park area is where it washed up so by that --the state claims "ownership" -- I heard it has a copper sheathed bottom --so that's about 1770 era and that it had circle saw type markings in the timbers --likely from a steam powered saw to cut the timbers --time frame era about 1813 --so likely its a early 1800's time frame cargo ship

lead was the earlier choice for hull sheathing ..copper later on ...rough time frame wise I use 1770 as a general cut off point ..if copper hulled post 1770 --if lead pre 1770 as most of the Spanish treasure fleet sailed before 1770 (the last Mexico fleet sail in 1789 and the last south American one in 1740)...lead would be the hull metal to look for most treasure wrecks

plus at 30 degrees ( roughly the guana river area) the reported loss area of the 1641 fleet -- 5 vessels were reported as lost 4 merchant ships with no survivors and 1 patache that had some survivors ( found by another patache sent from cuba)...reportedly it was found about 5 leagues offshore ( 13 miles at 2.6 per mile or 15 miles at 3 per ) either way it was past the 12 mile legal limit ...if theres a reef 13 to 15 miles offshore it might have the wreck of the patache upon it --which would explain why it was still above water with people on it when they were found

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
guana river state park area is where it washed up so by that --the state claims "ownership" -- I heard it has a copper sheathed bottom --so that's about 1770 era and that it had circle saw type markings in the timbers --likely from a steam powered saw to cut the timbers --time frame era about 1813 --so likely its a early 1800's time frame cargo ship

lead was the earlier choice for hull sheathing ..copper later on ...rough time frame wise I use 1770 as a general cut off point ..if copper hulled post 1770 --if lead pre 1770 as most of the Spanish treasure fleet sailed before 1770 (the last Mexico fleet sail in 1789 and the last south American one in 1740)...lead would be the hull metal to look for most treasure wrecks

plus at 30 degrees ( roughly the guana river area) the reported loss area of the 1641 fleet -- 5 vessels were reported as lost 4 merchant ships with no survivors and 1 patache that had some survivors ( found by another patache sent from cuba)...reportedly it was found about 5 leagues offshore ( 13 miles at 2.6 per mile or 15 miles at 3 per ) either way it was past the 12 mile legal limit ...if theres a reef 13 to 15 miles offshore it might have the wreck of the patache upon it --which would explain why it was still above water with people on it when they were found

Ivan, I don't see any reefs or shallow water that far offshore - the water in that range is all 50 - 70 feet deep. I'm looking at NOAA Chart #11488.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHY are they insisting on calling this 48 foot boat a "Ship" ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the chunk is 48 foot ......the vessel it came from might be bigger than 48 foot

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guana Rive Aquatic Preserve

https://floridadep.gov/fco/aquatic-preserve/locations/guana-river-marsh-aquatic-preserve

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you take a look at the pictures thet I posted you will see that they differ from the cache of photos provided by marc, than the ones sent to me by my friend. It is almost certainly washed in and not uncovered. In the pic it had definitely been deposited on the peack of the high tide berm. I got that pic 2 - 3 days before the story broke, I could see where at lest one piece was torn away and carried off . My source said it had migrated north about 25 feet each
High tide event, before the crowds and officals got envolved. My thought is 1760-1790s . It looks simalar to whats left of the pillar dollar wreck here in the keys looks to be a section of bottom, it shows the sub floor or bilge boards still in tact. Sailors would have walked that run while checking cargo lashings. Of course this is just a guess from what ive seen of other wrecks and there construction. Also this is just a small section of a much larger vessal I believe.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Black Bart - to add to your point about washing in:

It was recently freed from it's resting place from the sand overburden and moved by the currents to it's current resting spot. It is a local wreck. Note the lack of epibiota. If it was adrift from a southern locale, it would have epibiota beginning to take hold and established. This section of hull shows an amazing level of conservation with no epibiota.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Bart - to add to your point about washing in:

It was recently freed from it's resting place from the sand overburden and moved by the currents to it's current resting spot. It is a local wreck. Note the lack of epibiota. If it was adrift from a southern locale, it would have epibiota beginning to take hold and established. This section of hull shows an amazing level of conservation with no epibiota.

What is your definition of "local" ?

Of course it came from the south.

Lack of epibiota ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes it was most likely a sand covered wreck on the sea floor that became uncovered and floated up moving with the tide and wind --note the lack of sea shell / marine life on the hull .... due to being sand covered ..marine life will attach its self to exposed timbers over time

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm certainly not an experienced wreck diver, but do have a passing experience with wood, and in the top picture the broken chunk sure looks fresh for being centuries old and submerged. Is that definitive?

Another thing: If there's that much good wood left, it could be dendro'd to fix the date certain.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm certainly not an experienced wreck diver, but do have a passing experience with wood, and in the top picture the broken chunk sure looks fresh for being centuries old and submerged. Is that definitive?

Another thing: If there's that much good wood left, it could be dendro'd to fix the date certain.

Bum... long time brother... :)

Well there are many "answers" to the questions that are present with each and every wreck... each unique like a finger print.

Many factors exist when trying to deduce / determine the "age" or "story" of a shipwreck that factor into this equation process.

First...

The situation of a shipwrecks "grave" is the first and foremost consideration as to the way a "wreck rests"... and the way a wreck deteriorates.

The spectrum ranges from...

Nothing left... to the entire wreck is intact... down to the smallest detail... there is a wreck that is 2,000 years old that is so intact the food is still there.

But basically ALL factors of "preservation" are based on two main things... situation and environment.

IF a wreck is exposed to things that are detrimental to its well being then of course it is consumed much faster than one that lies in an environment that is void of these same attributes.

Now... with all this being said...

Lets take this section of wreck for example...

IMO... she sank in heavy sanded area... this section became "embedded" / "covered"... which preserved THIS section and perhaps more exists...

But never the less... the sand...DEPENDING on depth IN sand and a multitude of factors surrounding the sand composition and environmental chemistry preserved this section from deterioration.

Now... as we all know... sand ALWAYS moves... eventually.

This section may have over time been covered and uncovered 100's of times... even if only briefly... for a moment... for a month... for whatever...

OR... never... ever.

She could have come to a rest... the section we see now embedded... and has remained covered from that day... until now. (which is highly probable).

So...

In the case of things like the section... the old phrase of "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then it must be a duck".

Does not apply.

Hope this shed a bit of light. :)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Obtaining Data at the World Data Center[/h] [h=3]Search Datasets[/h]
  • Tree Ring Search Engine
    ​Search through tree ring studies using Investigator, Title, Location Name, Tree Species, and Latitude/Longitude bounds.
  • Interactive Map
    Select study locations by region, proximity to a point, or text-based attributes.
  • Google Earth Map
    Locate and download tree ring studies using a Google Earth map interface. Google Earth must be installed to use this search tool.
  • Search All Paleoclimatology Data
    Access a free text search of our entire study archive.
  • NCEI Paleo Web Service
    ​Harvest paleoclimatology study metadata records using the NCEI Paleo Web Service.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
and away it goes --they have hauled it away --never to be seen by mere public eyes again -- only the "trained experts" can see or touch it now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread