part of wooden old ship "washes ashore" in South Florida

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
part of wooden old ship "washes ashore" in Northeast Florida

https://www.local10.com/news/florid...bly-from-1700s-washes-ashore-on-florida-beach

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/researchers-study-old-wooden-ship-remains-on-florida-beach

"Beach officials are attempting to remove the hull before high tides arrives." Ummmmmmm

Accurate news...."reports the size of the ship is estimated to be 40-feet long.....

"A 48-foot section of an old sailing ship"

Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very North East Florida. Punta Vedra Beach. They think they know what vessel it was now. Looks pretty old from some of the close up pictures.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have seen pictures of this same thing in the past. Looks almost the same. Same place.

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve. My friend that sent me the info had originally said Dania, FL so I still had South FL in my head.

Locals have probably known about it for a few hundred years.

Guess LAMP will pull a grant to study it!! haha

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Actually, this is a "new" wreck that was washed in. It is theorized that it was encased in the sand at sea and with the recent Nor'Easters (seriously Porpoise Point is nearly gone) and hurricanes that the overburden had been moved and the currents moved it from it's resting place. Likely from the 17-1800s with the construction. One cool feature is the roman numerals that are carved into the wooden ribs. The idea that it was a "part no." in the assembly of the hull. They are trying to move it up the beach and out of the surf zone. I suspect that there will be no funding for any conservation effort and eventually they will bury it up by the dune line if they do manage to move it.

There has been another shipwreck in the same area that is near the dune line. It is uncovered from time to time as a result of beach erosion. It remains entombed there with the idea that covering it with sand is the best conservation.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Imagine the shock for beach goers who walk that beach daily to all of a sudden find this. It is amazing that it still is in the condition it is in. Only thing better would be if it was from 1715 :icon_thumleft:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the Reporter in the video at the second link, it cannot be moved until they get approval from the State of Florida who he says owns the wreckage. My question is, how did it become property of the State? It was found by a boy and his' mom between the high water and low water lines on the beach and it was not attached to anything per Florida's own definition and was not removed by the boy and his' mom by any means such as blowers, dredges or anything else. Maybe I am overthinking this or there is some info I am not aware of which makes it the property of Florida, so any comments are welcome!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0038.jpg
IMG_0037.jpg
Heres a couple pics my buddy sent me. He lives right there.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Black Bart - I presume your buddy is Marc?

For others that have Facebook and want to view an album detailing the construction and roman numeral markings, search for "Spanish Main Antiques". Marc Anthony is the owner.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Bart - I presume your buddy is Marc?

For others that have Facebook and want to view an album detailing the construction and roman numeral markings, search for "Spanish Main Antiques". Marc Anthony is the owner.

I do not no marc but my friend and him are buddy's.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer to your question Huntsman...

It is within "state property"... The water line rule does not apply on "park" property.

This is what I can hear in my mind.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
To answer to your question Huntsman...

It is within "state property"... The water line rule does not apply on "park" property.

This is what I can hear in my mind.

So the wreckage landed in a State Park? I checked Google Maps but could not find a State Park noted in that area but we all know how good or bad Google Maps can often be!

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the Roman Numerals are a dead giveaway to what this vessel might be... of course to someone that knows the research/history. Pretty neat. Side note rant: I find it amusing people getting bent out of shape about what the state does, we should all know by now like AARC said, they do whatever they want whenever they want. Until we all seriously band together and try to make changes, it's just business as usual. Hope everyone has a Good Friday. On my way to detect some OBX beaches, been cut way down.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
So the wreckage landed in a State Park? I checked Google Maps but could not find a State Park noted in that area but we all know how good or bad Google Maps can often be!

It is actually South Ponte Vedra. The "park" is the GTMNERR - Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve. A large tract of land that is managed by the Federal DEP. While where it rests is not in the "park", the state does what it wants.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the Reporter in the video at the second link, it cannot be moved until they get approval from the State of Florida who he says owns the wreckage. My question is, how did it become property of the State? It was found by a boy and his' mom between the high water and low water lines on the beach and it was not attached to anything per Florida's own definition and was not removed by the boy and his' mom by any means such as blowers, dredges or anything else. Maybe I am overthinking this or there is some info I am not aware of which makes it the property of Florida, so any comments are welcome!

Anything historical belongs to the State or to the Federal Government.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anything historical belongs to the State or to the Federal Government.

Then why is it you can metal detect the beach and keep any historical coins you find?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread