NJ/Delaware Shipwrecks

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
Hello all, I need some direction on potential wrecks in the NJ/Delaware area.
A start basically, like what books do I need or treasure wrecks not yet found in my area.
I'm no pro but I can learn like the best of them and am a motivated individual.
I'm interested in beaches that have had coins and the like wash up on our shores, we don't have the rich treasure fleets of florida but I'm sure there's some interesting wrecks out here nonetheless.
I have heard of wreck alley, but it seems like it's over-exposed.
Thanks for your time and for reading my post,
Chase

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a few tidbits --- the LIVE OAK, a sloop lost with $20,000 in specie (coin) aboard her according to both her Capt Foy and her owner Jacobus Van Zant --- she was bound from Santo Domingo to New York when she broken to pieces against Squan Beach on Oct. 29,1769 since then the wreckage has been covered and uncovered many times and the treasure should lie on /in the beach or shallow water areas near by--(I got this from my copy of --the treasure divers guide-by potter---a older but very good book that can be a bit hard to find these days --

try this book --SHIPWRECKS OF THE NEW JERSEY COAST BY WALTER AND RICHARD KROTEE
it should help alot--- Ivan

P.S> there are lots of wrecks up there don't sell your area short ---not nearly as many treasure hunter as we have down here either --

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
I grew up in Jersey, and there are lots of wrecks off there and Delaware. A few treasure wrecks of interest off Delaware: Faithful Steward (1785), Three Brothers (1775), Juno (1802), Indies Ballad (1792). You may remember the DeBraak wreck, which was really hyped up.

Just an indication of the wrecks off shore is the debacle of the wreck believed to be SEVERN (1774). A dredge pumping sand for a beach renourishment project off Lewes, Delaware in 2004, ripped through a wreck and dumped somewhere between 50-100,000 artifacts up on the beach, most which were broken up of course. Coins, clay pipes, pieces of china, and all sorts of items. I won't get into the whole story, but someone could write a book about the events. Since then, a few more wrecks were found in the general area. Just like the Florida coast, there are wrecks upon wrecks along the whole east coast, and many are buried under sand.

dbrick54

Greenie
Oct 8, 2005
Selbyville De
Detector(s) used
Fisher impulse & Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro Garrett Infinium LS
Is there any info on Three Brothers (1775) more then a name and date ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread