Spain and Peru after Oddyssey

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
It is not clear to me whether anybody from Peru or somebody claiming to be a representative of the Incas is going to intervene in the court proceedings. I doubt it, and if they did I do not think they would have a leg to stand on, unlike Peg Leg (sorry, Don, could not resist it after I had written that last sentence !). These were spoils of war.

Mariner

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I wish someone would walk into my office with cases like that... Hell... I'd be able to retire (i'm 33) and move to florida, buy a monstrous boat and start working some leases ;D

I'm sure all the lawyers involved will do ok.

steve

OP
OP
kevino1960

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
LOL Steve, didn't mean to insult you, I just find it ridiculous that everyone wants a piece of this pie. Sadly those most deserving, the indigenous Indians that had this treasure stolenwon't get a thing.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
kevin...

no insult taken at all. I never take offense to lawyer references... I LIKE lawyer jokes ;D

You said it right... everyone wants a piece of the pie. Look at it this way. If someone came to you tomorrow and said... "you know, you might be entitled to a portion of $500 million, but it might cost you a little bit to find out..." What would you do? It happens a lot in probate cases (wills) where everyone who may have an interest, no matter how small, insignificant, or even non-existant, crawl out of the woodwork and make a claim, on the possibility that they may get something.

With even a 1% claim on $500 million... i'd take a shot too.

steve

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“IT MUST RETURN TO PERU”

(Peru.com: 2007/9/7) The minister of the Production, Rafael Rey, indicated that the return to the Peru of the rescued treasure of a shipwreck must be demanded, that contains 17 tons of gold and silver, because it is cultural patrimony of Peru and is valued in about 400 million dollars.

“Therefore, it is logical that our country demands its return before a court of Florida, where is being ventilated the case”, said, reported the Andean agency of the news.

The treasure is disputed between Spain and the American company “Odyssey Marine Explorations”, well-known like “cazatesoros”, according to information provided by the North American newspaper “New York Times”.

The gold currencies and silver, that this fortune contains, come from Peru and were transferred to Spain in 1804 by the Spanish galleon “Our Lady of Mercedes”. The ship was sunk by English navy forehead to the coasts of Portugal.

King remembered that the Peruvian Government has initiated a policy of repatriation of the archaeological pieces, that were removed illegally from the country, and that has been translated in the recovery of numerous goods thanks to agreements with other countries.

Also, he said that thanks to the pressure of Peru have been obtained agreements with the auction houses that at the present time abstain to include within their sales goods of archaeological patrimony.

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHO SAID THE SILVER CAME FROM SOUTH AMERICA , THERE WHERE SPANISH SILVER MINES IN BRITISH COLUMBIA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread