Can someone identify this for me?

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Someone in New Smyrna posted this on a local web site.
‘Ok guys I need some serious help figuring this out! This was found on the beach a few months back it's solid silver upon cleaning! Can anyone give a little info? ‘

Thanks
DL ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526160396.025667.jpg

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Was told it is a reproduction of a 8 Escudos, the Escudos were originally struck in gold not silver

Not quite the same but...

here is a 8 Escudos from Sedwick Treasure Auction # 20 lot # 6 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526169267.122567.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks cool. Thanks for sharing . Not sure what you need to know, it sounds like you have it figured out.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reverse picture perhaps ?

Is it a "pin" or pendant / charm ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
errr reverse of the top part that is.

So far Arms of León, Spain ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been made into a pin. Pretty crude work.

DL

This is a very strange piece.

I would really like to see the back of the top part and some closer pics overall if possible.

Here are observations thus far...

First... Top is really interesting due to several things...
the fact someone actually used the "Arms of León" motif is VERY unusual and just so ... um... Not novice / some dude with silver cast making some knockoff.
Second...
Condition is perfect... Design is perfect in artistic sense IMO...
IF found on Daytona beach I am just assuming that PERHAPS some "gift shop" sells this item... an would not have been a "cheap" thing to purchase.
Third...
This does not seem like a "random" thing... or some "one off".

You stated that you thought the workmanship was "crude"... but IMO it is well done overall due to the side of top cast would be not be an "easier" deal to do.

I personally find this item to be a really unique cool piece and like it a lot...
it is truly a "what is it" to me and I will help you pursue this.

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
This is a very strange piece.

I would really like to see the back of the top part and some closer pics overall if possible.

Here are observations thus far...

First... Top is really interesting due to several things...
the fact someone actually used the "Arms of León" motif is VERY unusual and just so ... um... Not novice / some dude with silver cast making some knockoff.
Second...
Condition is perfect... Design is perfect in artistic sense IMO...
IF found on Daytona beach I am just assuming that PERHAPS some "gift shop" sells this item... an would not have been a "cheap" thing to purchase.
Third...
This does not seem like a "random" thing... or some "one off".

You stated that you thought the workmanship was "crude"... but IMO it is well done overall due to the side of top cast would be not be an "easier" deal to do.

I personally find this item to be a really unique cool piece and like it a lot...
it is truly a "what is it" to me and I will help you pursue this.

I’ve offered to get her phone # and hook y’all up. I don’t know the gal but she got luck on da beach. Of course all the idiots are trying to send her to a jewelry store and college for more info.
Can’t even argue their posts or, well we know what happens.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526214347.493059.jpg

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is a copy of a Mexico City Mint “OMJ” 8 Escudo (which would be gold not silver) similar to what one would find on the 1715 Fleet wrecks along the Treasure Coast... someone apparently has joined this copy coin to what appears to be a broach (most likely modern and not an authentic period made item)...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A well done and fanciful piece though...

Just an additional note, I had a silver ring made once with the lost wax method and it comes out with that rough handmade look to it like the broach part of this piece...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This piece is cooler by the postings... pic of back is good and tells me an accomplished jewelry maker made this.

The strangeness grows...

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
The young lady spoke to some one last night about it... Her name is Briana if anyone wants to seriously help her get answers.

“First of all Happy Mother's day and sure here is my number 386 631 0735 [emoji6] Second of all the coin collector I seen last night was creepy and I'm not sure if hes correct or just weird but he says he believes the coin to be something of the spain crusader knights of templar rare silver lion and coin but he had never seen it in silver and kept tring to offer 5000.00. I wish I could just find a expert”

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“First of all Happy Mother's day and sure here is my number 386 631 0735 Second of all the coin collector I seen last night was creepy and I'm not sure if hes correct or just weird but he says he believes the coin to be something of the spain crusader knights of templar rare silver lion and coin but he had never seen it in silver and kept tring to offer 5000.00. I wish I could just find a expert”

There is something not right here IMO.

Besides the bogus statement "Templar" crud... this is a farce... and this is NOT old in any way shape or fashion. IMO of course :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhh let me restate the above..

IT IS old... Only in "art design". :)

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like everyone was able to piece some of this together.. The pin to me represents "Real Zaragoza Spain" Soccer {there football} . The emblem of course is Spanish Monarchy 8 escudos cob. Im thinking someone has interest in both and had this made for em..maybe as a medal or wall hanger...

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
“First of all Happy Mother's day and sure here is my number 386 631 0735 Second of all the coin collector I seen last night was creepy and I'm not sure if hes correct or just weird but he says he believes the coin to be something of the spain crusader knights of templar rare silver lion and coin but he had never seen it in silver and kept tring to offer 5000.00. I wish I could just find a expert”

There is something not right here IMO.

Besides the bogus statement "Templar" crud... this is a farce... and this is NOT old in any way shape or fashion. IMO of course :)

That is what a coin dealer told her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread