San Jose Discovered Off Coast Of Columbia

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't that the wreck Jack Haskins found?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

The article said it..."was located with the help of an underwater autonomous vehicle operated by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution." Does he work with them?

Bill

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The exact resting place was actually found in Nov. 2017 but the Colombian govt. just gave Woods Hole permission to release details of the find yesterday. Jack Haskins had nothing to do with it. It was found by chief archaeologist Roger Dooley and project manager Mike Purcell. Sea Search Armada claimed they found it in 1995 and applied for a permit to salvage the wreck but their site is about 5 miles off target.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Salvor6:

Thank you for the correction! Perhaps I remember he was looking for it - but he left the country when he figured out they weren't going to share any finds. Obviously, my knowledge of these events is hazy. Sometimes memory serves - and sometimes it double faults.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Salvor6:

Thank you for the correction! Perhaps I remember he was looking for it - but he left the country when he figured out they weren't going to share any finds. Obviously, my knowledge of these events is hazy. Sometimes memory serves - and sometimes it double faults.
Good luck to all,
The Old Bookaroo

Although I have no interest in who claims to have found the wreck, If Jack Haskins had info on it Carl Fismer now has it.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wreck site image:

Imagen9HISTORY1-e1524560154958.jpg

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a researcher who found the location in archives, and brought that information to the Colombian Government. The government sponsored that group, along with WHOI to do the search.
That group currently holds the rights from Colombian to recover the wreck.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRG,

Where did you find that imagery? Is there more?

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would it not be great if in some of the photos they left the gps coordinates on?

Bill

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
According to this article What's Going to Happen to the $17 Billion Treasure Found on the 'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks? the wreck has been "identified" based on the designs of the cannons.

"REMUS captured several images of the San José that showed distinctive dolphin engravings on the ship’s cannons, enabling researchers to identify it."

The dolphins aren't engraved, of course. They are "handles" (? is that the correct term? I don't know) mounted on the top of the gun barrel to provide a place to lift the weapon.

However, we know vessels often carried cannon captured from other ships. Granted this is evidence - but it doesn't appear to me to be "proof."

Unless this design is unique to this vessel and no other. And unless it can be shown those cannon were never recovered and then moved to another ship.

Just wondering here.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to this article What's Going to Happen to the $17 Billion Treasure Found on the 'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks? the wreck has been "identified" based on the designs of the cannons.

"REMUS captured several images of the San José that showed distinctive dolphin engravings on the ship’s cannons, enabling researchers to identify it."

The dolphins aren't engraved, of course. They are "handles" (? is that the correct term? I don't know) mounted on the top of the gun barrel to provide a place to lift the weapon.

However, we know vessels often carried cannon captured from other ships. Granted this is evidence - but it doesn't appear to me to be "proof."

Unless this design is unique to this vessel and no other. And unless it can be shown those cannon were never recovered and then moved to another ship.

Just wondering here.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo it is nice to see someone use the correct plural of Cannon as you did. The writer of that article did not. I agree that this is not 100% proof because, as you said, when a ship was captured by another vessel, they would remove the cannon and install them on their ship. That is why some of the Pirate ships had like 40 cannon or more, making them near invincible in sea combat. Any ship carrying 17 billion (less value back then I am sure) in treasure would be a prime target for Pirates too. Guess we will have to wait and see when/if they recover any of the treasure.

Bill

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill...that imagery TRG showed is at a much higher level than anything I see with Google searches...

As far as identification, it appears that has already been more than determined.

There is already a thread on TNET on the wreck, etc.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
PirateLabs: I learned from Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Thank you for your kind words. The plural, I mean. The rest of it is borrowed from The Homewrecker.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread