Sep 27, 2006

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great find! Thanks for sharing, ballbuster :) Nothing was said about a permit since they're 5 miles out. I wonder how they could do all that without one. Maybe they got one later?

OP
OP
B

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
I didn't see any information on the permits. I assume they are in order. If they were pirates I doubt the finds would be made public. This wreck has been dove on for years. Apparentlly nobody bothered to lift the slate.

Jim

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jim, I didn't mean to imply they were pirates. Pirates don't donate their finds to museums :) I just thought they might have been a couple of good ole boys who were bringing up stuff without anyone saying anything. The state doesn't have jurisdiction, but I have to wonder how long it would be before the feds would say anything since it is in territorial waters.

OP
OP
B

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
No implication was taken Darren. Pirate was my term. As I understand it,the ship ran aground 5 miles South of the inlet not 5 miles out. Looking at the last picture you can see the shore line clearly. It doesn't appear to be 5 miles to me. Not understanding the regulations or even having a knowledge of them has me at a disadvantage. In any event its good to see someone working the northeast again. Our area is famous for shipwrecks. Much like the North Carolina coast. Literally thousands of them. My Great Grandfather was a Keeper at one of the Life Saving Station on Brigatine Island in the 1850's. I've spent some time reviewing wreck reports and newpaper articles of the period. Its amazing the number of ships lost on our coast..

Jim

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ballbuster said:
As I understand it,the ship ran aground 5 miles South of the inlet not 5 miles out. Looking at the last picture you can see the shore line clearly.

Great point, Jim. Thanks for clarifying that.

In any event its good to see someone working the northeast again. Our area is famous for shipwrecks. Much like the North Carolina coast. Literally thousands of them. My Great Grandfather was a Keeper at one of the Life Saving Station on Brigatine Island in the 1850's. I've spent some time reviewing wreck reports and newpaper articles of the period. Its amazing the number of ships lost on our coast..

Wow - cool history regarding your great grandfather. I'll bet he had some stories to tell. NJ and NC both have tremendous wreck graveyards. We usually don't get to see much posting from those areas. There's quite a few other sites for this. Here's a couple I frequent...

http://www.njwreckdivers.com/

http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story, thanks for posting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread