Known shipwrecks with secret cargo: have any of the secret cargoes been found"

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Darren

For him he promotes hunting shipwrecks for history sake and shipwrecks that will not have financial reason to look for then but a historic one. Nothing wrong with that.

I do not know David Mearns, I have never met him personally as I do not move in his circles. Perhaps a good thing. But I have heard from others who claimed he is a "shark" making money through books and films off the backs off other researchers.

In regards to HMS Sydney in truth he was the hired hand so to speak doing the physical search. But to get funding from institutions and foundations it had to be some one "famous" leading the project. There was 3 researchers in Sydney Australia actually worked out the location of shipwreck Kormoran and HMS SYDNEY?

It appeared they got sidelined because they was amateur historian not part of marine archaeological profession "BOYS CLUB" and David Mearns is a politically correct darling among the academic elite. David got the accolades ORDER OF AUSTRALIA, and awarded honorary degrees by various universities around the world. book rights and film rights. The guys who did the real research and lobbied for funding got diddly squat....

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Mariner I know exactly what you mean. My Mother was German and she and all her brothers and sisters served in WWII. My Mother was in the Womans Air Corps and served as a nurse at a hospital in Paris. She met Herman Goering, Commander of the Luftwaffe (air force) when he came in for dental work. The Germans would broadcast on radio "don't bomb this hospital because all your wounded Royal Air Force pilots are on the top floor." They never got bombed.

Hola Salvor6

An amazing story, You know they say out of all the Nazis, he was never a fully commuted Nazi but an opportunist. In short he got onto Nazi party bandwagon to loot Europe. He never cared what the Nazis did as long as it made him wealthy. In the end when you dance with devil you pay a price and he did. Great story not many can say they had met Goering.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Salvor 6

I do not think Hans ever knew about their propeller noise being traced. Your interesting story on the Japanese sub made me research into story more. I found a copy of engagement with the submarine. Well done to Paul Tidwell he had done his homework well.

DSCN4348.JPG

Mal

Last edited:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks!
I have been seeing several wrecks over the last few years being touted as having millions or billions in gold or silver bullion or buckets of gemstones aboard that were not on the manifest, but are assuredly there because insert some reason here.
Have any of these phantom cargoes been salvaged or is it always a case of "THIS ONE going to be THE one"?
Not to be picking on any of my friends who are chasing these projects...just an honest question.

Hola Ropefish

The salvage of HMS Edinburgh WW2 GOLD.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jdgleSNrJs

Mal

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me, in 2001 a submarine of the Axis with platinum in the area of the Strait of Gibraltar. Interestingly, it is close to a place called "the cove of the Germans". The dictator Franco gave some Nazis land in this place after the WWII.
I have official documents with statements to the authorities of Spain, but hidden interests and intrigues muddied the issue. Interestingly, it is the same area where Odyssey Marine worked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread