help identify nail/spike

ikaruz

Jan 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello.
This items were found near the beach. at maybe 250m.

the area according to ancient maps, has changed a lot(in the past there was a bay, and the boats could pass, but now it's just dunes), but at some areas at the middle of the dunes, there are some ground with rocks, some areas with consolidated dune, some areas with a lot of trash from the sea. there are some informations of shipwrecks at the area with a lot of gold. informations of gold found, there are some reports of cannons inside the sea water, there is a information of a destroyed boat that has spread on the beach and people picking up things at the beach at the time, so its a very good area, but at the beach, and at the dunes area, i can't find anything from the shipwreck... maybe it's too deep, maybe the sea took everything.

yesterday, at maybe 250m from the beach, in the middle of the dunes, at an area with some rocks and ground, i found this 3 items:

2ihpce8.jpg

t6a1wh.jpg

2pobg5k.jpg

wm039g.jpg

ruqh5f.jpg

16ge9mv.jpg

1040voh.jpg

1zzx5k.jpg

2a5ks4x.jpg

the two smaller, were found very very near of each other, the big, was found maybe at 20meters away.

so what you all think? could they be from the shipwreck? any advices to find the gold?! or a cannon? thanks

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They sure do look like they are old ship spikes. Hard to say how old though. As for finding a cannon or gold, keep looking. If a dune formed over the old beach it could all be buried deep though. Are you using a metal detector?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ikaruz you need to do research. What area are you in? Let me know and I can tell you what wrecks are known in your area.
Also welcome to Treasurenet. You came to the right place.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Are they iron? (do they stick to a magnet?)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
ikaruz...Welcome to TNET! We hope you will tarry with us and share pics and stories of your' finds! I can't help on the nails or spikes but there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this and other forums here that can. It would help if we knew what part of the world these came from!

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 questions.
1. location?
2. location?
3. location?

OP
OP
I

ikaruz

Jan 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the answers, it was found in europe, the shipwrecks from the area some of them are from 1500-1600, and one or two from 1700 i think.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Many ships spikes and keel spikes are iron. All of the 1715 fleet off Florida are ironnspikes. But they used iron for many centuries. As spikes in ships. Very hard to date it from iron spikes.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many ships spikes and keel spikes are iron. All of the 1715 fleet off Florida are ironnspikes. But they used iron for many centuries. As spikes in ships. Very hard to date it from iron spikes.

Iron spikes have been used for centuries, including up until modern times. If these were cleaned up, perhaps one could tell if they had been forged, still, that is relatively modern.

thanks for the answers, it was found in europe

Well, that certainly narrows it down....

This is an artefact out of context, with no encrustation nor bound in a matrix. If found in saltwater, found by themselves, it is very unlikely to be that old and are likely relatively modern. I have found spikes like these used in lashing logs together for open water transport.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread