Cuba shipwrecks

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
I just got back from a short trip to Cuba where I was able to photo/video the CITY OF ALEXANDRIA and OLIVETTE just east of Havana. It's obvious there is so much potential there, but yet there is so little local information. In this case, I had more historical information on these wrecks than the locals. And it was very interesting to see much older material (e.g., English and other bottles and ceramics) inshore of a 19th century wreck (COA). Hoping to get back to dive a couple more shipwrecks near Havana before branching out to other areas to dive known sites. As testimony to how much potential there is in Cuba, check out this video recently posted on a spearfishing forum where a guy stumbles across a bunch of cannon in SW Cuba...

Cheers,
Mike

timex

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was cool!
I enjoyed the clip very much.

Thanks for sharing!

I often thought about what future find's will be discovered as the walls of isolation around Cuba go down.

With modern technology and a Garden of Eden of lost wrecks are discovered.

I can't even begin to imagine how much is lying in wait.

Some of it will surly make anus's in Spain pucker up, when Cuba says NO, Finders Keepers!!!!! LOL.

respectfully, tim

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So much for "in situ" preservation!

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definition of "in situ"
Can be substituted for the words "for job security" which explains why it is commonly used by Archaeologists.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed Burtt and Visa Gold worked there west of Havana years ago and had some interesting experiences to say the least, we lost Ed a few years ago along with Jack Haskins, both great guys. Ed gave me a beautiful replica of an Atocha astrolabe that he made at his place in Canada.

WD

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed was from Canada so it was not an issue. He said after he reported that they had found a wreck site he gave the authorities the position and waited for the recovery permit. Not surprisingly he watched guys the next day go dive that exact spot, but Ed knew better and of course gave them a close but not too accurate spot suspecting they would jump right on it! He believed he was on the Santissima Trinidad.

WD

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats just amazing I would love to dive there

Top Member Reactions