WRECKS OFF MARSH HARBOR, ABACO,BAHAMAS?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Much of Marsh Harbor is a marine park, so I don't think metal detecting would be allowed there.

Nearby Spanish Cay, and specifically Wreckers Reef, has a number of old shipwrecks.

Tom

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just cleaned out my inbox and you can always email me at the address listed in my profile. Phone won't be back on until I find a decent paying dive job. ;D ;D

hookahbob

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2007
lots of wrecks around marsh harbour. Check the dive sites for abaco .There are civil war wrecks, canons,etc,heck, we even have a wreck on shore you can visit![3 miles nw out of marsh] Have fun! hookahbob

abacopirate

Jan 18, 2006
Abaco, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
whites,excaliber,pulsestar2
Hi, Spanish Cay, wreck on reef north of Manjack: wreck north end of Green Turtle in sand pocked inside reef: Small beach an North end of Whale Cay wreck right on beach: Gauna Cay first beach, half way down beach about 600ft out English Man of war, cannons buried on Beach. : several in the off shore reefs: south channel Man of War Cay about 800 ft. inside reef south side, looks like ship was caring cement in wooden barrels. Elbow Cay reef off beach,outside reef pewter plates and cups: There are two marine parks here and none of these wreck are in the parks. There are many more here.Have found lots of cannons and ankors.Remember only ballest rock and goodies are left. Only wood I found was at Gauna Cay wreck about 8 feet under the sand. You can use metal dec. here. Many more wrecks here, have fun.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
The wreck of the Civil War ship Adiriondack is right off Man-O-War (just NE of Marsh Harbor) and you can snorkel over it. It's pretty much just off the baseball field/park on Man-O-War, and is great for photography as the cannons (dalghrens) are huge. I would use a boat to get to it. Also a barge wreck nearby. Marsh Harbor itself is inside of Man-O-War and Hope Town, so any wrecks would be on the east side of these, though not to say nothing ever wrecked on the inside, but it's relatively shallow here, and they would have been salvaged or removed.
There are many other wrecks off the Abaco's, but it's a large area. We've found cannon wrecks and others, and it's a very interesting area with allot of history.

SteveS

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Wow guys, thanks...Will be sure to check out some of these smaller Cay's. Actually planning on lots of R & R.
Diverlynn

Motuiti

Oct 7, 2007
Sarasota, Fl
Hi,

Just Checking for the first time. Some of you may know my website AbacoEscape.com.
The discussion on the Abaco diving spots was flagged by Google so here I am.

What I want to pass along, and speaking of canons, is a story on one of my pages about a platinum cannon. Some of you probably already know it but if you dont, check it out.

http://www.motuiti.com/Flotsam.html#TS

- Sandy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread