the differance between the spanish and english league --2.6 vs 3 miles

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
offically the "spanish league" was outlawed for use by the king in 1568 ---however it was still heavily used by both folks in the south american colonies and by spanish seafarers -- the english league was just about 3 miles (2.9) -- often folks today reading old spanish documents use the rough 3 mile "english" league -- thus adding 4 tenths of mile per league by doing so (for a 15 league distance its 39 vs 45 miles--(thats a big 6 mile error!!)-- if your doing research and the "numbers" aren't adding up correctly to you-- try using the 2.6 per league measure -- you might be deeply surprized at what you might find --- don't merely take my word for it ---type in "distance of a spanish league" into your search engine and then read it for yourself --- ;) ---seaman are very "habit" driven people and hidiously slow to change in their ways -- the fact that the leauge was "offically" outlawed in 1568 did not stop them from using it * note the fact the term was recorded as ---- "leauges" thus it was still being used although "offically" banned ------ I was a seaman for 27 years before recently retiring --my family has a very long tradition of going to sea --almost everyone of the men off my father side did it for well over 100 years that I know as a fact -- in my life time my grandfarther,dad,uncle, older brother,cousin and myself did it (merchant seaman sailors) -- my very oldest brother was a coast guard man ( the black sheep we kid him ) the only one left sailing today my nephew --in the navy -- Ivan

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks, Ivan. It's been awhile since I researched it, but off the top of my head I remember the 3 miles being a rounded number. It was actually 2.9, which adds up to quite a difference when long distances are being considered. I'm not exactly sure when 2.9 became the norm from the 2.6, but it would be a great study for somebody to measure the known distances from the 1500s and compare them to the known distances in later centuries. Great subject.

Darren

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread