Tristan de Luna Wreck #2 Located

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I went to the announcement ceremony today on the Pensacola waterfront. They confirmed that there has been a second ship found from the ill-fated Tristan de Luna colonization attempt in 1559. The first wreck was found in 1992.

This second ship was located by marine archaeology students from the University of West Florida during their summer field school of 2006. Two students were performing "circle searches" outward from a magnetometer anomaly when two exposed ballast stones were found. Dr. John Bratten was aboard a companion boat and advised the students to take down the probe sticks to determine if other stones were present beneath the sand. The students returned to the surface and reported that the ballast pile was very deeply buried and extended over a 14 square meter area. So far, twelve 1x1 meter excavation blocks have been opened on the site and have exposed framing timbers in complete immaculate condition as well as lead sheathing, ceramics, and oven bricks that date to the period of the de Luna expedition. As far as they can determine at this point, this 'new' shipwreck is subsantially smaller than the first being what they estimate to be between 30-40 meters in length.

Another tantalizing fact is that both wrecks are within 1/4 mile of each other and lie on the same 13' depth line contour offshore from Emmanuel Point in Pensacola Bay. According to one of the graduate assistants on the project, this indicates to them that the other 4 remaining wrecks are mostly likely nearby as well. The wreck has now been officially declared, "Emmanuel Point Shipwreck II". State Archaeologist Dr. Roger Smith was at the ceremony as well and indicated that the framing timbers exposed were so well preserved that they had great difficulty nailing survey nails into them.

Dr. John Bratten has invited me to accompany them out to the site when all of the VIP dives have taken place and things begin to settle down a bit. Pensacola Bay now officially contains the first and second oldest shipwrecks found in Florida florida waters and the second and third oldest shipwrecks found in North America.

Very cool stuff guys. I know some of you aren't nearly as excited about this as I am but I just wanted to share it with you.

Pcolaboy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Scott,

That is pretty exciting! I look forward to hearing more on it and maybe some pictures, if released.

Keep us posted.

Robert

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PCola, cool opportunity man keep on it. I'm not sure what your day job is but I think you've found your real calling.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
My day job consists of working on servers and databases while simultaneously surfing TreasureNet ;D

I learned long ago that finding and diving on old shipwrecks in addition to terrestrial historical finds was my calling. Unfortunately, I don't think my wife would be convinced that me following my dream at 1/3 the income was beneficial for the family. :'(

I don't know....maybe I can figure out a way to waterproof my laptop and devise some sort of ultrasonic ethernet communications to a boat's satellite uplink so I could telecommute? Hmmm...I'll get to work on that proposal!!!

Pcola

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
pcolaboy said:
I don't know....maybe I can figure out a way to waterproof my laptop and devise some sort of ultrasonic ethernet communications to a boat's satellite uplink so I could telecommute? Hmmm...I'll get to work on that proposal!!!

Pcola

Mike Nelson could do it. Mike Nelson could do anything.

But seriously, that is fantastic news. Let us know if they publish anything on the find, and take some pictures for heavens sake, when you go out to the site!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pcola, is Joe Cozzi still running the show up there? Makes you wonder how they couldnt find anything else, with it so close by.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
stevemc said:
Pcola, is Joe Cozzi still running the show up there? Makes you wonder how they couldnt find anything else, with it so close by.

I've not met Joe Cozzi. Dr. John Bratten is the Marine Archaeology chair, whom I've been talking with exclusively.

When the original magnetometer survey of the area was performed in 1992, the mag they used was very unsophisticated compared to today's mags with computer outputs, GPS etc. That combined with the fact that there are literally hundreds of sailing-era wrecks in Pensacola Bay, not to mention modern fishing vessels, etc.

Pcola

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
MichaelB said:
Lucky Dog!!!!!!

MichaelB

I'll be excited when it actually happens....there is a huge amount of national archaeological attention on the wreck right now so it's basically a 'standby' situation for me to go out. The sweetest part is that it will take me exactly 5 minutes as the crow flies to get to the wreck from my house. It's crazy to think that the stranded colonists from the wrecks may have actually setup temporary camps on or near my property. Of course I've practically trenched my yard looking for stuff. ;D

Heading out to another 'unknown' wreck that a buddy found last month....will advise when I get back this evening in another post.

Pcola

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Did the state of Florida get Spain's permission to excavate this wreck? I doubt it! Why doesn't Spain claim this vessel as part of their cultural heritage?

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
salvor 6 said:
Did the state of Florida get Spain's permission to excavate this wreck? I doubt it! Why doesn't Spain claim this vessel as part of their cultural heritage?

LOL...probably because the colonization attempt failed? I totally get your point and I'm wondering the same.

Pcola

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
spain will not spend money on claiming worthless wreck for "heritage" since that not their "real heritage" --- their "real heritage" is thus --- only vessels with gold /silver on them are claimed as "spain's heritage "-- in other words --spains heritage is that they were bullies and theives then are bullies and theives now -- see their "proud" heritage coming down thru the years from generation to generation -- pushing they way around taking whatever they can from weaker folks -- that is their heritage ---oh ya --- I calls em as I sees (seize) em --- ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread