Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to this style of pan.

View attachment 1771680

Although it is close or maybe the same as the galvanized cage mesh, the mesh insert can be angled so as to catch smaller objects.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is a little closer, original image doesn't seem to display when I look at it.

classifier-goldpan-siftercrop.jpg

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why in my pan I've put mesh diagonal direction to the holes in classifier. You might want to post diagrams on your sifter.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on Red... folks have to do some things for themselves... I figured out how to build my sifter... I’m sure others can do the same... I’ve already shared some info on where to look for the darn emeralds from one particular site... I might as well just go dig em up and give em away too... [emoji23]

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The largest sifter I've ever seen, was a barrel converted to sifter, side cut for door to open and clean out the throw away stuff.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That folding up chair could be a real "winner" of an idea. People will see you carrying a folded op lawn chair and have no idea what it is intended for, you work almost unoticed.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That folding up chair could be a real "winner" of an idea. People will see you carrying a folded op lawn chair and have no idea what it is intended for, you work almost unoticed.

Thats the idea :)

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more suggestion... while not cleaning up on emeralds, try places around sand beaches were people normally sit, even large rocks. There was a sifter article I think I'd mentioned a few posts back. In the article, they found quite a few rings around either a large rock or seats. I'm not sure where the beaches were having a seat at the edge of sandy areas, but if metal on seats then metal detectors can't function up close.

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan I don't know who told you that, but emeralds do not fluoresce.

But if they did it would be a great way to find them.

In Arizona people use blacklights at night to find scorpions in their yard and kill them. Nobody knows why, but scorpions fluoresce.

View attachment 1766583

It has been hypothesized that scorpions fluoresce under UV light to attract dinner. Bugs go to light. Scorpions like to eat bugs. On clear nights when the moon is full or nearly full, enough UV is reflected from the sun to allow scorpions to put off a faint glow, which may draw insects to them. They’re pretty neat. You can put one in water while alive and freeze it. Then thaw it out and watch it walk away...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found upwards of 50 Colombian Muzo Emeralds from the 1715 Fleet... the only way I was ever able to actively search for and find these (other than by sheer luck of coming across one) was to do research on which sites had previous emerald finds made by others and get out there and sift for them!!! Many long hard back breaking hours of sifting during particular beach conditions to recover them... go do it... they’re out there!!
Still finding emeralds?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own sifter with very fine mesh... able to let sand through but not small emeralds... the commercial store bought variety has mesh holes that are too large
You know, most restrictions are aimed at metal detecting. I'll bet you can get access to sites, most treasure hunters can't because, anything runs on batteries (electronic search equipment is banned). Just carry all the sifted junk in a beach plastic mesh bag, let them see you are cleaning up the sand for them. Potatoes and fruit did, probably still do come in those type mesh bags. Emerald sifter would get smaller junk also, might need a plastic junk bottle also.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any parks/beaches in Florida ban sifters?

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i tried using one while out in washington state, south of the diamond pipes in canada, didnt find any diamonds thou, found a bunch of weird plants that would glow either white, green or an orange color and found out bird shit (prob bald eagle) glowed also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread