Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read. Always learn a new word from those old writers. Cacique is a chief or boss.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cacique is also the name of the cheapest rotgut guaro sold here

You mean guano? :laughing7:

For Jeff: What is it with Pennsylvania? There is a treasure story a week back then!

No wonder all the treasure is all dug already!

I'm not a big believer of buried treasure (as opposed to spent in taverns and brothels), but the Bahamas have a lot of possibilities. Sparsely settled in the Golden Age, off the beaten path (but not too far off), and lots of porous limestone potholes that can be probed and then filled in again.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Article was probably meant to be inspirational.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that was what they call in the trade a page filler article. Just a story of missing treasures grouped together with little specific details other than enough words to fill up a space in the newspaper. Some times they will sell off advertising space to businesses when they cannot do that they construct a generalized story to fill the space. You will find hundreds of these articles in newspapers all over the world. I bet if we looked hard enough we would find the same article repeated in another Newspaper but with edited word count to make the space available.

When you find story of lost treasures by themselves they generally have more detail but some times get regurgitated by other newspapers 2 to 3 years after the story was first Printed.

That said you can find some really interesting leads to follow up from newspaper stories. Yet we have keep in mind as general rule of thumb before 1860 newspapers was more accurate in their reporting but as the newspaper industry grew after 1860 newspaper was in fierce competition with each other and to get readers Reading their papers the stories become more tabloid with reporters themselves putting more and more sensationalism into their stories.

Kanacki

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that was what they call in the trade a page filler article. Just a story of missing treasures grouped together with little specific details other than enough words to fill up a space in the newspaper. Some times they will sell off advertising space to businesses when they cannot do that they construct a generalized story to fill the space. You will find hundreds of these articles in newspapers all over the world. I bet if we looked hard enough we would find the same article repeated in another Newspaper but with edited word count to make the space available.

When you find story of lost treasures by themselves they generally have more detail but some times get regurgitated by other newspapers 2 to 3 years after the story was first Printed.

That said you can find some really interesting leads to follow up from newspaper stories. Yet we have keep in mind as general rule of thumb before 1860 newspapers was more accurate in their reporting but as the newspaper industry grew after 1860 newspaper was in fierce competition with each other and to get readers Reading their papers the stories become more tabloid with reporters themselves putting more and more sensationalism into their stories.

Kanacki

Yep, just something to read and BS about in the barber shop.

Back in the day, to the chagrin of local historians, newspapers would run national stories instead of local news since everyone knew everyone else's business locally, but needed entertainment and national news. Hence stories like this.

You're right about the leads though, and kudos to Jeff for posting these stories. :icon_thumleft:

spanish hawk

Greenie
Jan 8, 2020
Detector(s) used
400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Venezuela also issues gold coins called Caciques.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread