History Channel

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a posting from SUBARCH that makes me want to email Discovery Channel to tell them what a great show they have!

Fellow SUB-ARCH Subscribers...

No matter what your particular background or viewpoint, I think most (if not all) of the members of this list can agree that the message being perpetuated by the new Travel Channel show "Best Places to Find Cash and Treasures" runs counter to what archaeology and preservation of cultural resources (on land as well as underwater) are all about. The same can also be said of the show's treatment of certain other resources (such as fossils, Megalodon teeth, meteorites, etc.) that have the potential benefit science and further our knowledge of the natural world. Here is the link to the show's website:

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/cash-treasures/about/about.html

Based on what I've seen, the point of this show seems to be to encourage folks to seek out and dig up as much stuff as possible, with the promise of a huge cash bonanza as impetus--archaeology (or any other science) be damned.
Provenience, documentation, preservation, conservation, publication, public exhibition...none of these topics are addressed; instead, we're left to ponder the host's barely-disguised disinterest with two pieces of a shipwreck's wooden hull (compared to the Way-More-Important $1,500 silver coin...), and her description of antique bottles that didn't fetch a high market value as "junk."

Nice.

I would encourage everyone on the list who is concerned about the kind of
looting activities this show promotes to contact The Travel Channel (and its
parent company The Discovery Channel) and let them know what you think.

Cheers,
James

Pirate Diver

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
totally agree

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
find the treasure me mateys --- arrgghh archies off the port bow --- load the cannons with the junk scrap iron we found. they wants iron artifacts eh? well give to them aarrggghh ---just kidding --- the "code" has 4 famous truths --- #1 keep yer trap shut when ye find gold , silver and other good things #2 keep the location to yer self #3 the only way two can keep a "secret" is if one of em's dead #4 take what ye can & give nothing back ;D Ivan

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Hey thanks for the web site. I'm really enjoy their show and I am going to contact them to congradulate them on an interesting show.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
I agree with Ivan salis ,finder keeper. by promoting the idea of everyone look for relic and treasure is the best way to get it outlawed. so mum is the word. the "code" state lose lips walk the plank.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I watched a segment on "gem grubbing and gold panning" in Georgia. Since we were going to be there on vacation we decided to try it out. We loved it! My wife had a ball and found a nice ruby and some amethyst which she had made into to jewelery. It looks great and she loves to tell the tale of how she found them. I panned about $40 in gold and enjoyed that also.

The show is not all that bad. Yes, they play it a little loose buy I believe you are wrapped around the axle for nothing. The mineral hunting was great and you know normal people are also entitled to have their share of the excitement. I suspect they will also leave enough for you.

TE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread