Atocha Emerald help

Danielv508

Jul 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all this is my first visit to the website and was hoping someone could help me out. Long story short I have been visiting my coin shop for a while now I have just recently gotten into shipwreck treasure. My local Coin store which is a definite A legitimate business and not some small coin shop but anyways he recently told me he has two sets of emeralds from the Atocha so I made an appointment to go in and look at them. My question is the COA that came with both sets appears to be printed on thick paper and it’s definitely a copy of an original not like the other COAs that I have for other coins by Mel Fisher. There are two stamps on the coa One stamp is over the picture of the stones and one stamp is over the mill fisher name. My question is has anyone seen a certificate of authenticity like this could this be a 797E20F1-938C-40E0-ACE0-9670BBE88E14.jpeg and then notarized my next question is the certificate shows the stones at .27 carats for two pieces and the stones in the picture on the certificate are definitely the stones that I received but the stones are much larger than .27. I only paid $300 for the two stores I am 100% certain the stones are real but the certificate is throwing me off any input would be greatly appreciated thank you

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are two artifact numbers on your cert, if you can contact the Fisher museum, they may hold the data base, that will have the artifacts number and image. They look a bit light in colour to be Atocha? I was lucky enough to see some of the Miscovich emeralds (sad story) some of those most certainly came from the Atocha site while others are later rough and cut emeralds added to con investors. Did you by these in Florida?

https://wiki2.org/en/Miscovich_emeralds_hoax

OP
OP
D

Danielv508

Jul 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I did not get them in Florida I picked them up at a well-known coin shop in Rhode Island. They are definitely real the one still has the matrix stuck on it the only thing that concerned me was the certificate why it would be double stamped like that over a copy. Also I did do a little research and emeralds I guess by carat weight are a lot lighter than diamonds so I’m not The same size carrot per carrot.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genuine small emeralds from Columbia and elsewhere unless top grade are not very expensive. As previously suggested I would try to look up the serial number. Good luck.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I worked for Mel in the early 90's. We worked at "Emerald City." Found lots of small emeralds. The museum in Key West has records of all the emeralds recovered and can send you a copy of the COA.

014.jpg

That's me on the left with Diver Doug, Kane Fisher and our pilot David aboard the Gauntlet.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for Mel in the early 90's. We worked at "Emerald City." Found lots of small emeralds. The museum in Key West has records of all the emeralds recovered and can send you a copy of the COA.

View attachment 1848451

That's me on the left with Diver Doug, Kane Fisher and our pilot David aboard the Gauntlet.
Last I saw they were allowing investors to sift material dredged, during a special Emerald City event.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see they are still at it, would hate to have the Emerald city become all worked out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread