black sails show is nutz -- urca de lima *

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
geez I hate it when tv folks totally screw up history just to make a tv show seem more interesting --- in the show pirate capt flint is said to be after a lone sailing massively loaded 5 million pieces of 8 loaded vessel --"urca de lima" ---a well known 1715 fleet vessel that was sunk by a hurricane ---they show it as being washed up ion a beach and with a salvage camp no less ...

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya....that show had me liking it at one moment and then equally disgusted at the history being butchered. All in all it was enjoyable......just had to grit my teeth through a lot of its historical fails.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well the eye candy helps ...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was TV for cripes sakes!! It wasn't meant to be truly historically correct but I thought it was dang fine swashbuckler of a show. Much better than "Captain Blood" and all those Errol Flynn movies.

Speaking of "Captain Blood", Olivia De Havilland, the female star of the movie passed away today (Sunday) at 104. She was also "Melanie" in "Gone With the Wind"

Last edited:

Kato Danzo

Jul 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched every episode of Black Sails like five times. It wasn't 100% historically accurate but nothing ever is. Still really cool to imagine what Nassau and the rest of that region would have been like back in those days. And to see what it was like to sail those ships in to battle. Fascinating stuff.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was TV for cripes sakes!! It wasn't meant to be truly historically correct but I thought it was dang fine swashbuckler of a show. Much better than "Captain Blood" and all those Errol Flynn movies.

Speaking of "Captain Blood", Olivia De Havilland, the female star of the movie passed away today (Sunday) at 104. She was also "Melanie" in "Gone With the Wind"

I didn't realize Olivia De Havilland passed away. I have an autographed picture of her from Gone With the Wind.

Olivia de Havilland Signature Gone With The Wind.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched every episode of Black Sails like five times. It wasn't 100% historically accurate but nothing ever is. Still really cool to imagine what Nassau and the rest of that region would have been like back in those days. And to see what it was like to sail those ships in to battle. Fascinating stuff.

Show was filmed in South Africa, even that wasn't "real carribean". I enjoyed it too, had to upgrade my cable subscription and pay more just to see it.
"Master and Commander" with Russel Crowe had great naval battle scenes too.

TH, what a nice memento of the illustrious Olivia you have!! She was wonderful! I don't think I ever saw her in a movie I didn't like.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Master And Commander" was the closest depiction of what life was really like aboard a warship in the 16th century. Unfortunately it came out the same time that the "Pirates of the Caribbean" was released and you know who won. I have the CD and I play the battle scene over and over.

We lost Kirk Douglas last Feb. at 103 years old and now Olivia de Havilland.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Master And Commander" was the closest depiction of what life was really like aboard a warship in the 16th century. Unfortunately it came out the same time that the "Pirates of the Caribbean" was released and you know who won. I have the CD and I play the battle scene over and over.

We lost Kirk Douglas last Feb. at 103 years old and now Olivia de Havilland.

Couldn't possibly have been 16th century, no flintlocks then. Typo I think?? I believe it was supposed to be 1700s, Cook had already been around the world, and the collecting of flora and fauna and carrying a scientist to collect, study and draw them was more in the mid 1700s-1800s.

Last edited:

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunsil is right, Master and Commander is 18th century. Black Sails is one of the best depictions of early 18th century pirate life I've ever seen. Most of the daily life objects were accurate, they came to the Whydah lab and museum for some advice which of course was so cool. Bellamy was inspired to turn pirate by the 1715 fleet wrecks so there is a great deal of interest for me in 1715 stuff and in QAR wreck a year later, Blackbeard's ship in NC. I just got a great book about QAR: "Blackbeard's Sunken Prize" by Mark Wilde-Ramsing and Linda F. Carnes-McNaughton, University of North Carolina Press.2018. Highly recommended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread