A first look at the wreck of the San José galleon...

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I saw some photos a while back but theres a couple more in this clip. Great detailed photos. It says 6000 taken, i sure wish they would post more than 11! Cant wait to see what they recover!!! Have you heard when they will start recovery on it AARC?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super clear images.

I know the brass(?) item under the end of the cannon in the first image can't be a prop but it sure resembles one. Could that item be some type of barrel or bucket that the sides burst while the mouth stayed intact?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super clear images.

I know the brass(?) item under the end of the cannon in the first image can't be a prop but it sure resembles one. Could that item be some type of barrel or bucket that the sides burst while the mouth stayed intact?

Um yeah a prop would definitely throw everyone for a loop.

And if so... the movie "The Deep" would come to mind... heh

A shipwreck on a shipwreck scenario.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some photos a while back but theres a couple more in this clip. Great detailed photos. It says 6000 taken, i sure wish they would post more than 11! Cant wait to see what they recover!!! Have you heard when they will start recovery on it AARC?

I am sure due to the significant archeological data that can be absorbed via this... They are gonna go slow.

I would assume now that the pictures of "in situ" are done the next step would be mapping.

Seems they have a few "hurdles" to overcome first...

https://thecitypaperbogota.com/news...l-not-finance-salvage-claims-vp-ramirez/22910

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's neat, I like the cannons especially.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannons are in amazing condition you would think they would be more encrusted.

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was thinking the same thing. I assume since it is sunk in such deep water it is better preserved. No light and not much marine life at those depths?

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
Super clear images.

It looks like a metal bucket/pot/basin of some sort that was crushed in. Looks like another similar item to the left of it.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannons are in amazing condition you would think they would be more encrusted.

One / the main reason is because they are bronze... and different water conditions exist in that situation overall.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One / the main reason is because they are bronze... and different water conditions exist in that situation overall.

And colder water at that depth would have an effect I guess

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEPTH

Increase in depth reduces light intensity, which therefore reduces the ability of organisms such as algae to photosynthesize. Greater depths often result in slow, consistent growth rather than the rapid seasonal growth that happens nearer the splash zone.

TEMPERATURE

In general, a rise in water temperature will increase thegrowth rate of a colony. The growth rate approximately doubles with a 10 degree Celsius rise in temperature. There will of course be a limit and most organisms cease growth at 30-35 degrees Celsius. As the temperature variation is the greatest nearer the surface, this explains why there is more rapid seasonal growth.

WATER CURRENT

The speed in which the water flows over the surface plays an important part in the type of fouling colony that develops. There are two aspects to consider. The faster the current, the more food and nutrients the organisms get, so growth is accelerated. But, too fast a current and the larvae find themselves initially unable to attach themselves to the structure.

SALINITY

In nearly fresh water, fouling is usually confined to algae slime. As the salinity increases, so the amount and type of fouling. Sea water is usually of a salinity of approximately 3% - 3.5%. The higher the salinity(up to a limit), the higher the level and size of marine growth.

FOOD SUPPLY

Growth of the fouling is obviously dependant on the quality of nutriment available. Growth rates seem to be faster in coastal waters rather than those a few miles offshore where the water is much deeper. Investigations suggest that the slow currents that circulate around platforms become enriched with nutriments from sewage and other waste that will increase marine growth.

Last edited:

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
It sounds like a job for a secret, stealth, salvage submarine. Sneak in, suck up all the treasure, and then sneak out. Lets get to building one !!!. ( you laugh, but i believe that it is already being done off Europe, as far less valuable wrecks have literally been disappearing, probably being sold for scrap value).

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a large pot or caldron you can make out rivets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread