Dolphins Need our Help

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P

paddy.mick

Re: Dolphin's Need our Help

Yep, I as well. I heard about this on NPR- not a single protected sea species in Japan. Support your local fisherman ONLY is my rule.
Paddy

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Fisheye... done for the dolphins and the wolves. All the best... Phips

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maybe move this to general discussion,i bet alot more people would sign

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is no news. This has been going on for decades by the Japanese, a culture who continues to deplete the fishing and marine resources around the world. What is an online petition going to do in this case? I'm thinking this petition goes to PETA, or some other psycho organization, as propaganda, and now they have my name and address.

I think its heinous, and I'm all against it, but thats their country and their side of the world. If they were doing it off the Florida coast, I'd have a big problem. If you all think I'm wrong, then lets also make a petition for Iran to quit seeking nuclear power, or for China to quit polluting our oceans. Probably will have the same effect.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

This villiage has been doing this for over 400 years... the same thing - the same way.

I also think it's discusting and unnecessary, but just because some celebrities with nothing better to do then involve themselves in another countries business and gets themselves in the news, doesn't mean I'm ready to involve myself. This is an issue for the IWC and the country of Japan... not a cute little blond surfer who has a broken heart over dolphins being killed and gets herself in the newspapers.

What would she do if she saw the blood on the floor in a cattle slaughterhouse? Is this surfer going to help subsedize the economic loss of the fishing village when it gets banned? LMAO Of course not! She will just add pages to her blog. I read dozens of associated links, it's all about the celebrities... not the dolphins.

It's a western ideology being forced onto a Japanese market.

Is the killing neccessary? Probebly not

Will I sign the petition? No

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I signed the petition because I am against inhumane killing. Not because I want to tell another country how to run their business or what to eat. I guess I wouldn't want people from India telling America we cant eat beef either. The Japanese have been killing dolphins for centuries, and even if it stinks and alot of people wont eat it ....the Japanese view it as any big fish...tuna or shark.
I grew up on a dairy farm....played with the beef calves and chicks and then watched them be slaughtered for food. I hunt deer after watching Bambi and fished after watching Nemo.
I watch our big fishing operatons here in the states and see them pull in lobsters ,crabs and fish and let them die from not breathing. A lobster has a pretty painful death as he is dropped into boiling water and screaming. I guess because dolphin's are smart and cute and friendly we have a hard time picturing it as food for some.
I still don't like to see anything be killed in a way that causes it to suffer. And thats what I don't like about the dolphin killings. I see that the government has put a ban on serving the dolphin meat to the schools because of the high content of mercury.
Others will argue that Japan is overfishing and using the dolphin hunts as pest control because they eat their fish....

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

gypsyheart said:
I watch our big fishing operatons here in the states and see them pull in lobsters ,crabs and fish and let them die from not breathing. A lobster has a pretty painful death as he is dropped into boiling water and screaming.

While, I agree we should respect animals and not be cruel in any way to them, there's been a trend for some time to project human responses to the treatment given them. Most animals experience "pain" differently from humans. I personally think God made it that way by design so we wouldn't have to be cruel in the respected way of hunting/gathering. I have skinned fish who flop around, only to find that when I put them back in the water, they swim off quietly without the thrashing (I know you're wondering how - ask someone who skins with an electric knife). I think they flop just to try to get back to their preferred environment - another healthy behavior. As far as shellfish, here's a level headed response by a zoologist...

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-09/970091001.Zo.r.html

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Interesting link Darren...

I think I need to clearify my comments...

I TRUELY don't think that animals of any type need to be brutally dispatched...

...but I do think they are in the food chain.

I've eaten camel in the Middle East
I've eaten Dog in Korea (and I own two dogs)
I'd eat Horse if offered some (and I own two horses)
I've eaten shark, and all other kinds of salt & freshwater critters...

Maybe the killing seems brutal, and maybe it is... but when I read through the provided links about Pierce Bronson supporting this effort, in between the movies he's hawking, and then stating that he will soon be on vacation in the Caribian after SO much hard work... I get angry.

I get angry because all the blogs and attention this is getting is about heroic pretty little surfer girls, not the needs and laws and realities of life in that little cove in Japan.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I lived in Korea for four years, Cornelius. It's called "ka-gogi." They don't club dogs that walk up to you on the street. Maybe they did when you were there. But in the late eighties they raised a certain breed to eat...similar to us raising beef cattle to eat, typically not dairy cows. It's not an everyday meat, but usually eaten occasionally. We lived in a building where the landlord had one of these dogs on top of the flat roof. They fed him rice everyday. We'd sneak up there and give him other food, too. One day, he was gone. The kid was sad, but that's the way things are. I always wondered if he tasted different since we fed him, too ;D. The Koreans also ate roasted/steamed grubs - sold everyday as the kids were getting out of school. All this may seem gross to us, but our food isn't the only way to eat. Cruelty shouldn't be allowed though. Problem is that it's defined differently everywhere.

Sorry to spout my views, but babies are killed everyday under sanction of the law while animals and trees are protected by those same laws. I agree with laws against cruelty...period. But I'd like to see us applying it across the board. :-\

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I'd be somewhat of a hypocrite if I signed that...

How can we say they are more barbaric than us? I think they are but...

Trez

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I think we should stop killing mosquitos. How would you like to be crushed to death by a giant hand?

PDJ

Jul 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Whites DFX 300

I signed it.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HIO: It was posted --->

have skinned fish who flop around, only to find that when I put them back in the water, they swim off quietly without the thrashing (I know you're wondering how
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes I am, how do they swim with no muscle left? Also I always whop them in the head before fileting.

Don Jose de La Mancha

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector

Fisheye...great thread...but, everytime i see a thead started by you, I have to wonder as to the veracity. I am a gold miner, as well as many other things I love to do. It saddens my heart when a person lies about who found gold where. Remember the thread you started concerning...'the nugget'. And how the real finder and owner bucked up and asked you ...'why did you do this?' called you a 'bold faced liar'. You coul]ld not retort...didn't. different forum here. That was the gold mining forum. and many will buck up to authenticate...be careful in the future...there is nothing wose than a half truth.....
Don't test me...I am that certain
fortunate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread