Peru Could Claim Treasure

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
PERU COULD CLAIM TREASURE

(Peru.com: 2007/11/21) Peru could claim a treasure valued at 500 million dollars found in a nineteenth century Spanish galleon, the plaintiff presented as additional court in the dispute argue that the government of Spain and the company American cazatesoros Odyssey Marine Exploration.

It is a cargo of 17 tons of gold and silver coins from the colonial era that found the American company last May and took his country on a plane that left Gibraltar.

Since then there is a legal dispute in which Madrid Odyssey Marine accused of having plundered a treasure that belongs to Spain, since according to the government ibérico- both the boat as the waters where it was sunk are Spaniards.

However, some research indicates that the galleon sunk in his cellar might contain gold coin minted in Peru when this country was under Spanish rule.

It is there when the case could be complicated further if the applicant Peru decide to stand as additional treasury under the provenance of precious metals. According to historians, the galleon Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes, sunk by a British ship near the coast of Portugal in 1804, sailed from Peru due to Cadiz in March that year, loaded with the disputed treasure.

But when he consulted the Minister of Culture of Spain, Cesar Antonio Molina, Peru would have the right to claim part of the treasure containing the galleon sunk underwater supposedly on Spanish soil, his response was blunt and forceful: "That boat has flag Spain and Peru at the time belonged to Spain. "

Despite his tough response to air colonizadorores, the minister seemed unaware that the Iberian Peru, if they so wish, can claim moral grounds to demand their participation in the distribution of wealth, as a writer explains the 'New York Times' quoted the daily 'The Trade'. "Peru could build a case based on moral considerations: The Incas did not deliver the gold and silver to the invading Spaniards voluntarily. Spaniards took it by force," says the article.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It's refreshing to see Peru taking this stance. Since we are going back in time, lets look at the original owner's rights and claims.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're talking about a 19th century shipwreck, so the claim that the treasure was stolen from the Incas is a red herring. The silver came from mines operated by the Spanish, and not stolen from anyone. Peru might have a claim if the ship had gone down in the early 16th century.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
spain stole peru from the incas, so no matter what year the wreck occurred it still belonged to the original owners. let peru dig it up and do something to help its people. spain has caused enough grief over the years it should just butt out of other peoples buisness. they damn sure don't own peru now and since the wreck is in peruvian waters it is in their territorial waters.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Jeff K. I have a quick question for you ? Since the wreck was salvaged off the coast of Portugal. What is Portugals stance on giving Spain control of the Treasure ?

Personally, I think anyone that spends the money and time to locate any lost item, no matter where it is located, should own it.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Man... The wreck is located in International Waters, so Portugal has no claim either. The map below shows an approximate position.

Attachments

• blackswan.gif
    blackswan.gif
    47.6 KB · Views: 672

ruso

Greenie
May 13, 2005
montevideo-Uruguay
Detector(s) used
Pulse X8 Fiher 1280 Garrett XL500
The "Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes" stopped in Montevideo URUGUAY before going to Spain in 1803.
In the index of the "Archivo General de la Nación" (Uruguayan archives) was registered
a file of the ship and his cargo when arrived to Montevideo, I tried to find it but was impossible
so probably was stolen from the archives. mmmmmmmmm

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Jeff K., thanks for the map and reply. I was under the impression that a Country had a 200 mile economic zone and had certain international rights in that zone. If I remember correctly the Central America was salvaged approx. 100 miles from land and the U.S. approved an Admiralty Claim for the wreck. I'm not expert in law, I guess I'm just fishing for an answer.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old man said:
Jeff K., thanks for the map and reply. I was under the impression that a Country had a 200 mile economic zone and had certain international rights in that zone. If I remember correctly the Central America was salvaged approx. 100 miles from land and the U.S. approved an Admiralty Claim for the wreck. I'm not expert in law, I guess I'm just fishing for an answer.

Under international law the economic zone has nothing to do with shipwrecks. It covers fishing , oil and mineral rights. By the way, the 1902 US treaty with Spain only encompasses shipwrecks in their territorial waters, not in international waters. I found proof of that some 15 years ago while researching another project.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
wwwtimmcp said:
spain stole peru from the incas, so no matter what year the wreck occurred it still belonged to the original owners...

And who lived there before the Incas? Who lived on the US East Coast before the Cherokees? Just who is the "original owner?" Nations have been conquering nations since Cain killed Abel. I don't like what Spain did to the Aztecs, Mayans or Incas, either, but that's just the way it is. It will happen again somewhere else.

Having said that, I don't side with any nation that steps in and claims cargo from int'l waters after years of salvage law has been established. If greed motivates you to go get it yourself, fine, but to take it from the people who risked their money (and investors)...well that's just low and we all know it. We can spout off how we should cooperate - and honestly it's probably in the best interest of any group doing this on any scale. But it feels to me like working out a deal with the playground bully (and all his other big gov't buddies) since they're so much bigger. Yes, let's work on a deal with the big bullies since they'll make it hard on all of us. I may have to do it one day to keep it out of court for decades, but I don't have to like it >:(

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Peru ain't getting jack!~

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
wwwtimmcp said:
spain stole peru from the incas, so no matter what year the wreck occurred it still belonged to the original owners. let peru dig it up and do something to help its people. spain has caused enough grief over the years it should just butt out of other peoples buisness. they damn sure don't own peru now and since the wreck is in peruvian waters it is in their territorial waters.

Empires rise and fall. Lands are conquered and lost. The winners takes it all.

/V

BTW: If assets where to be split among the former members of an empire then you would have a lot of mafia states(ending on stan) having a claim on soviet nuclear weapons. A thought that should give you a decent nightmare ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread