SPANISH WRECK SALVORS -- Please Help Identify This Object.

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
I had posted one of my most unusual items on the 'Best Finds' board a few days ago. Someone has suggested that I post this item on this forum topic to try to help answer some questions of it's possible origin. I will clip and paste the thread from the best finds board below and add the photos. You can also go over to the best finds board and read the comments posted there. Any thoughts, ideas or comments would be much appreciated. Highwater

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a photo of one of my most unusual finds. It measures about 4 inches long and 1 3/4 inches wide. It is obviously hand wrought. It seems to be brass or bronze. I found it about 9 - 10 inches down in fairly compact soil in the Seattle area. It has some strange lettering on the reverse that are from top to bottom interlaced, about 4 letters, or symbols. Look kind of like t or j and maybe L, but you really can't tell. There is a very deep patina. This was obviously in the ground for a very long time. It is pretty heavy, although I have never weighed it. (maybe it is proof that the Vikings were in the area a long, long time ago?) It really looks like midevil. I sent a scan of it to a nearby university history dept in Seattle. They were very interested in inspecting it, but the Prof that I was supposed to meet to have a look had some kind of accident and it never happened. I have no idea where it came from or why it was where I found it. Just one of those strange mysteries.
In the same area this was found we located a few relics from some kind of logging jamboree that must have been held there around the turn of the century. We found a couple tokens and other related period artifacts which were not nearly as deep as the heart amulet. Can anyone give a guess as to what, where, how and when? Ever see anything like it before?? The modern history around Seattle,only dates back to about 1850. This seems to be much older than that, but that is just my guess. I could be very wrong about that, but the patina is really thick and old looking.

I finally hooked up my scanner and scanned the back side of this object. I have often wondered if this may have been an authentic relic that someone later came along and added the engraved initials on the back side. It is also possible that someone made this in modern times? I do know that it came from very deep in the earth and has a very rich patina. The items we found in the same area were from around the turn of the century and they were found several inches shallower than this object. They included trade tokens and a variety of things that appear to have been connected with some type of logging jamboree or gathering.
What it is, who made it and how did it get where it was found are questions that may never be answered but it is an interesting piece just the same. It looks to me like a sword stuck through a heart. There must be some reason why the creator of this item chose to make it in this style and fashion. It must symbolize some kind of thought or reason, but I have no clue as to what it may represent.
The attached photos are the back side of the object and a close up of the letters or symbols on the back. I tried to enhance the close up for more clarity.

I have been putting some more thought into this artifact. It was found in the Seattle area. I know that the Indians did a lot of trading with other tribes and all of them around Puget Sound and out on the coast used canoes to go very long distances. The Spanish Magellon fleet would make their return from the Orient and when they made landfall along the west coast would have to refresh their supplies and make repairs before turning south to head to Mexico. I have studied some of the history of these events. I am wondering if maybe the Indians didn't come by this piece, either through a trade, a ship wreck or even a raid on the Spanish. The Spanish did have a presence out at Neah Bay for a while, until the Indians ran them out for rape, plunder and kill. It is very possible that this item was of Spanish origin and somehow got lost at the site where I recovered it. There may have even been a village at that site as there is a very good spring very close by and it is the type of place that would make a good encampment. The Indians were attracted to metal objects.
I am starting to think more along the lines that it is an old Spanish artifact. It is all starting to add up. The trade routes of the Indians were tremendous. Items have been found hundreds of miles inland. This might just be a piece of the puzzle. Any thoughts, ideas or comments are much appreciated.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 993
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Back Close Up.jpg
    Back Close Up.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Back Close Up.jpg
    Back Close Up.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 999
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 986
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,000

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It seems it was made of bronze spikes....I would say Spanish maybe made for a mission or church or even made by or for a priest in a vessel.....Kinda hard to put a date on it, but by the look of it I would say 1600s or 1700s

Did you find it in the water or in land?
great find!!!!!

All the best,

Chagy......

OP
OP
Highwater

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Chagy and Grubby,
Thanks for your input. The item was found on land, just about a mile or two from the salt water of Puget Sound.
Grubby, was there a sword through the hart that the nuns wore, or was it just a heart? It sounds like you both have good ideas
Do you have any idea what the sword would represent? Any more light you could shed on it would help. Thanks Highwater
PS: Also, any ideas on the inscription on the back?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Immaculate Heart is almost invariably pictured aflame, ringed with roses or lilies (symbolizihng heavenly joy and purity, respectively) The sword piercing the heart illustrates a verse from the Gospel of Luke: "And a sword will go through your heart; so that the secret thoughts of men may come to light"

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I kinda agree with Gubby.....I dont hink is a sword....I think its a cross, it looks like a sword because it was made of a spike....

Attachments

• sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 966
  • heart.jpg
    heart.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 977
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 956

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I doubt it, Chagy. The hilt is smaller than the blade, indicating the grip of the sword. A cross would be the same diameter all the way down. And the blade is pointed like a double-edged blade, unlike the flat bottom of a cross. I guess it could be a spike, but even not knowing the scale, it doesn't look like a real spike.

If you see a tatoo similar to this, it can mean love gone bad or courage in the midst of strife.

Traditionally it is the symbol of Mary's heart which is pierced (seven occasions recognized by the Catholic church) as prophesied to her by Simeon, when he held Jesus as a baby.

It is most likely a homemade charm made by a faithful Catholic. What's the scale?

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Highwater said:
Chagy and Grubby,
Thanks for your input. The item was found on land, just about a mile or two from the salt water of Puget Sound.
Grubby, was there a sword through the hart that the nuns wore, or was it just a heart? It sounds like you both have good ideas
Do you have any idea what the sword would represent? Any more light you could shed on it would help. Thanks Highwater
PS: Also, any ideas on the inscription on the back?

Have you done any research in the area to know if there was a mission, church or a shipwreck survivor camp?

Chagy......

Darren after taking a second look at it you might be right.....so you think is like a symbol of a heart broken?

OP
OP
Highwater

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
You guys are a wealth of information. Thanks to all for your input. The 'what is it' question is starting to get answered. The symbolism you described seems to match this object very well. Maybe some of the rest of the mystery will now start to come together.
The object is 4 inches tall X 1 3/4 inches wide.
Also, in answer to your question Chagy: I lived around the area for several years and in all the research I did I have never came across any reference to any missions, churches or survivor camps anywhere near the area that this item was found. The only reference I have found to the Spanish even somewhat close is out at the end of the Straight of Juan de Fuca near the ocean at Neah Bay where the Macaw Indians live. This is the tribe that you see and hear about that hunt whales in a traditional manner. It is probably 100 miles away, give or take.
My brother and I used to commercial fish along the Washington coast and lived around the various Indian villages for several years. We heard stories that were handed down in the tribe about ships making landings way back when. I also heard there were some Spanish coins found in one of their graveyards, but it was second hand information. I never saw any, but heard the story from different sources.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Highwater,

Keep in mind that the missions and churchs were kinda hiden or secret back in those days since they were trying to teach the indians about religion and the Spaniards didnt agree with that....

Do some reseerch on priests, franciscans,mission, etc., etc.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just saw the scale, Highwater. I should have read your post more closely :) It could have been traded with the indians and brought further inland.

Chagy, the body art meanings are more recent compared to the Immaculate Heart meaning. As Tom posted above, it's based on the sword piercing the heart verse in Luke. I think it's most likely refering to Mary's heart if it's of any age. If it's more recent, then it could mean courage or broken heart in general. Of course, welding hasn't been widespread but for about 100 years, so who knows? Was this welding or a more primitive form of metallurgy? Any ideas?

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well this thread is sure getting super interesting.... gotta get in touch with a museum or something...itsmaking me nuts NOT knowing... for all we know..Highwater could be sitting on a very expensive relic.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad4wrecks said:
The Immaculate Heart is almost invariably pictured aflame, ringed with roses or lilies (symbolizihng heavenly joy and purity, respectively) The sword piercing the heart illustrates a verse from the Gospel of Luke: "And a sword will go through your heart; so that the secret thoughts of men may come to light"

I agree with the sword, rather than cross theory.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Highwater,

What is that in the top? is a flower?

Attachments

• sf.jpg
    sf.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 925

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highwater....the missions or churches in the area would be a good clue if you can discover that there were any in the area, however, with a strong Indian presence it may have been traded and brought inland by them. Or it also may have just been taken by the Indians in one of their many raids back then. It being a Catholic symbol makes sense, but I also wouldn;t rule out in being either Indian or something else....until you have someone from a museum look at it and tell you definitively what it is, I wouldn't rule out anything on it, origin or date wise.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with the cross theory. look up the letters on a spanish english interpreter website site and you will probably come up with I N R I which is on nearly every cross ever made. it means jesus the nazarene king of the jews.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sacred Heart of Mary
This symbol is the famous Virgin's heart pierced by the sword of the Passion.

Attachments

• SacHrtMary.jpg
    SacHrtMary.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 829

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Hey chagy :)Do you think the straight line at the bottom of the heart ,is from when the heart was cast to the spike? or maybe there was another piece where the circle and square are at the bottom, that is gone? just a guess /it looks like the circle and square could have been there to lock the pieces together for a stronger bond :-\

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Relic,

I am not sure yet, first I am trying to find out the meaning: sacred heart of Mary, courage or broken heart
and then we need to find out purpose: was it attached to a virgin?, was it part of a church or mission decoration? or was it attached to the handle of a sword or something else?

OP
OP
Highwater

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
Hello everyone,
Thank you for all your great input. I just got home and I am in a hurry to go out detecting for a while. When I get home I will try to scan or take a photo of the object from different angles. Wish I could get better macro pix with my camera and I am not sure a side profile scan will work, but I will try to do the best I can at getting some better images posted. Will also try to get a better clue as to the markings on the back side.
Also, The heart seems to be pounded or forged around the sword. The length of the sword is flat from a side profile view. I am not sure what holds the wire on, other than it may have just been bent and formed to fit around the top and the crimping action is what holds it in place?
This thread is getting more interesting with each new post. You guys have come up with some very good information and observations. Thanks. Highwater

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread