W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
The British national archives are online now and you can find some great stuff there, the same is true now for many countries so if you have in mind a specific country or vessel give those a shot.

WD

Thank you for the link. I have already tried, but not with much success until now. Every time it says "not digitized yet". Obviously I have still a lot to learn.
Or maybe I should just give up learning and hire somebody who knows his way in these archives.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
The steamer ran aground. I wonder what these Schooners looked like? Wrecking Schooners go to assist Wrecking_Schooners_assisting shipwreck.jpg

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
1765 "rich galleon"

So I decided to write a book about the Bahamian history. Specifically the history of "wrecking". There is no doubt that wrecking played a very important part in the economy of the Bahamas, for several centuries. The life style, even the survival of the inhabitants of the Bahamas archipelago depended on the salvage of shipwrecks.
I have never tried to write a book. This is my first try and probably the last on too. It must come out good.
It has been a few days since I started this thread, with the hope of getting help with my crazy idea. I am grateful for the help I got. Hopefully the help will continue. I really need it.
I am trying to get one good story for the 20th century. The very end of the "Wrecking Saga". I have some leads, but need much more.
For the 19th century I found some good leads. Just need to go down the rabbit hole on them.
For the 18th century I have nothing yet. The snippet below maybe will give a starting point.
It would seem that the 1765 shipwreck was important and there was considerable amount of salvage done on it. Roman's_profitable.jpg

Last edited:

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What's the origin of of the name "Money Key"

700 islands, lots of names, very little to be found on name origins with superficial searches.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
What's the origin of of the name "Money Key"

700 islands, lots of names, very little to be found on name origins with superficial searches.

Many of the place names can be connected with something or somebody or the name of a ship or event. However, most of the time the names got distorted over time so without knowing the original it is difficult to guess what the original was.
For example, studying old pilot books, spanning centuries, I found several different spellings of the place names, referring to the original shoal where the Maravilla wrecked.
Nowadays we can find a lot of old maps and charts on the internet. Old sailing Directions, pilot books etc. have a lot of information if one can find the time to read and study it all.

I have a dream: to find many people who have a keen interest in such things and then distribute some books and charts to each, so that thousands of pages could be read in one week. Such a group would uncover a huge amount of history in a short time.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
What I am looking for is information about the commerce of the salvaged goods. I know that there was a regular trade between Nassau and the UK. There must be records of the goods arriving in London. Some of the salvaged goods may have gone that way. Probably the best quality. The rest must have been sold to the USA. At the main entry port there must be mention in the news papers.
Another thing that interests me a lot, is the salvage vessels. (In my younger years I built a few boats myself) What did they look like? Where were they built?
The next, maybe the most important part are the people. Names of the families. Not only the owners names (who stayed at home), but mostly the people on the boats. The captains, who must have been excellent sailors. The divers etc. The people who risked their lives, saving people and goods from the shipwrecks.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dont think anyone finding valuble information is going to share, the group is already there treasure hunters, thoushand of people spending hours reasaerching, but they dont share unless your an investor, or bring something t the table?

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Information is all available, just do your research or pay a researcher.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I am looking for is information about the commerce of the salvaged goods. I know that there was a regular trade between Nassau and the UK. There must be records of the goods arriving in London. Some of the salvaged goods may have gone that way. Probably the best quality. The rest must have been sold to the USA. At the main entry port there must be mention in the news papers.
Another thing that interests me a lot, is the salvage vessels. (In my younger years I built a few boats myself) What did they look like? Where were they built?
The next, maybe the most important part are the people. Names of the families. Not only the owners names (who stayed at home), but mostly the people on the boats. The captains, who must have been excellent sailors. The divers etc. The people who risked their lives, saving people and goods from the shipwrecks.

Seems you are beginning to slip / stretch a bit into the abyss... you are trying to go "off road" into an area that would have little to no information.

Documentation IF ANY of "who what where and when" of anything prior to 1980 is sparse at best... HERE in the States... let alone there.

IF your intention is to try and track activities under Bahamian rule that involved sales / money / treasure / anything else that involved some form of money... treasure... secrecy... GOOD LUCK. heh

The Bahamian Gov. until recent years has been notorious to turning a blind eye to anything and everything... unless pressured by someone / something else to disclose.

This would NOT have been public knowledge... and at best would have been a "few lines" of some sparse info in some story.

ALOT has gone on in the waters of the Bahama's that falls under the "kiss dont tell" mantra... and was equivalent to the wild west as far as "order". heh

From the complete salvage of entire wrecks of major historical value for private sales... to Cocaine kingpins owning islands complete with airports.

You might as well be looking for information of the names and info of who was at a Russian vodka session.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems you are beginning to slip / stretch a bit into the abyss... you are trying to go "off road" into an area that would have little to no information.

Documentation IF ANY of "who what where and when" of anything prior to 1980 is sparse at best... HERE in the States... let alone there.

IF your intention is to try and track activities under Bahamian rule that involved sales / money / treasure / anything else that involved some form of money... treasure... secrecy... GOOD LUCK. heh

The Bahamian Gov. until recent years has been notorious to turning a blind eye to anything and everything... unless pressured by someone / something else to disclose.

This would NOT have been public knowledge... and at best would have been a "few lines" of some sparse info in some story.

ALOT has gone on in the waters of the Bahama's that falls under the "kiss dont tell" mantra... and was equivalent to the wild west as far as "order". heh

From the complete salvage of entire wrecks of major historical value for private sales... to Cocaine kingpins owning islands complete with airports.

You might as well be looking for information of the names and info of who was at a Russian vodka session.

Thank you for the feedback. You help me understand that I have not explained well. so here I try again.
I have enough information for the 20th century.
Not interested in the 21st century.
Got some stories for the 19th century. Just need to round it up.
Working on the 18th century.
Still missing 17th century. Probably what is public knowledge about the Maravillas is enough.
Got nothing for the 16th century. I have no idea if anything exists.
Funny enough, I have the initial part of a good story for the 15th century. Curious of where that one will lead.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont think anyone finding valuble information is going to share, the group is already there treasure hunters, thoushand of people spending hours reasaerching, but they dont share unless your an investor, or bring something t the table?

Bring something to the table, like what? could you explain please?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the latter... you are gonna have to get off the beaten paths and get involved with research into the "The Company of Adventurers for the Plantation of the Islands of Eleutheria".

And "New Providence and Eleuthera"... etc etc.

The "wreckers" you are seeking in those periods were also "pirates". heh... "the republic of pirates" actually.

And dont forget that shipwrecks there were constant... wrecking was the most lucrative occupation available to the Bahamians...as well as others... and protected from "loose lips".

Oh and also...

do some on "Guanahani".

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A treasure wreck, bring that to the table, and your get people to share. I do not sell research, I give it away, to those who I can work with, the treasure is in the experience for me.
There are lots of publishers and media people who troll T ne for information they all disappear use the info to make money and stroke their own egos while making money of other people backs.
They say those who cannot teach, to me it is more like those who cannot write books, most of the so-called great treasure hunters made more money from books and spinning investor B,S, than recovering treasure.
I hope you make it to the end of your book, if so I might to someday,
It also worth looking into AARC ,s riddles he knows more then most and there is more sense in them than it seems,Best of luck,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread