New Boat

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Congrats! Nothing like a new boat! Or even a new used boat! Show us some picts!

Robert

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isnt a catalina a sail boat?

hipmount

Oct 4, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
3" Keene suction dredge, 2 hand sluices, Garrett Gold Stinger, Whites 6000 di Pro (keeps on ticking) ~ Whites GMT ~ Fisher gold bug 2
Cool .... congrats, dude.
Aye ...... thar's nothin better than a new boat ..... bought my 'baby' 3 years ago.
Hewes Craft Alaskan Sea-runner ..... 24' .... Yamaha 150 four-stroke ..... trim tabs ..... garmin sounder/fishfinder .... scotty 'down-riggers' ..... I get her 'wet' every season for King salmon, Sockeye, Coho & Halibut in the Prince William Sound (yes, thats were the EXXON Valdez made the 'mess') ...... haven't caught any '3 eyed' fish .... yet.
"Eat ....... Sleep ...... Fish"

tight lines ....
Hip~

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
congrats on the boat, yep I recently made the plunge myself with mine, and i have been putting it to good use every chance I get.... Please post pics of her so we can see it!!

Eventually I am going to be getting a 'seagoing' boat myself. The one I have is super sweeeet but it's a flats boat really, and yes while I can take it out on the ocean and go a few miles out on a calm day, those days are rare and it's best inland or right on the coast or ICW or rivers.

I used to be stationed in Key West and can attest there are plenty of fishing areas AND metal detecting / diving areas around there.... sugarloaf key is one in particular, I had one area i was pulling all kinds of stuff out of, found a small cache of silver dollars, among other things, but alas, got transferred...baah!!

Watch out for the state parks and other certain areas but it's prime pickins down there. I wish you the best of luck and hope that very soon you can post pictures of the treasures you are finding.

Aaron

OP
OP
V

vintagesailor

Jul 4, 2007
The bot is a 1980 Chris Craft Catalina. She is 25 feet with an inboard small block chevy. There is a fair amount of room in the cockpit as well as enough space to place some equipment aft of the engine below the deck.

This is not a picture of mine, mine has been sitting for a long time in salt water and is very "ugly" inclding scratches etc. I also dont have the hard top but I do have a full bimimi which I haven't unfolded or tried to set up yet.

cc_251.jpg

By the way since I know have this boat is there anyone interested in buying my old boat? (22 foot center console with a foreward v-berth and 235 hp outboard)?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My buddy has a 28' Catalina that we use for treasure hunting. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• joesboat.jpg
    joesboat.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 556

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phil,

My boat may look like crap.but every time i go down to my boat,it starts right up an both turbo diesels are mechanically sound and seaworthy.and since i have had it for over 2 years,i have never bought any fuel for it an as long as i own it i never will.(its veggie oil powered)Ill be sure to wave at all the gas guzzler treasure boats sitting at the fuel docks spending $300 or more a day to treasure hunt.my boat is 1 out of 60 striker sportfish built in holland in 1968.all 60 are still operational and floating to this day.name a boat manufacturer that has a better track record than this.I have less than 10k invested.when im done painting it in 3 months it will be worth around 200k

http://strikerboats.nl/

http://strikeryachts.net/

http://strikeryachts.net/files/YACHTS_-_MQ.wmv

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
sandman67 said:
It's a lot nicer treasure boat then the piece of crap fisheye has...

Oh, I know you didn't! Be nice to Fisheye! Its a work in progress!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALL boats are a work in progress!Doesnt even matter if its new off the showroom floor or a old boat.It will break.Cant let em sit,have to run them at least once a week.Those Catalina's are sturdy boats.Hull is at least 1 inch thick below the water line.I had a hell of a time screwing boards on the bottom of one to refloat it.It got sunk from a few rain storms due to no bilge pumps an someone took cut the rudders off.Its new home in the brevard dump.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those are good basic cabin cruisers. No frills. Chris-Craft 251 and 281. I used to work at Florida Gulf Chris-Craft, and it was the worlds largest dealer for 3 years running. I was a rigger/mechanic. I worked there in the early -middle 80s. They had that same model then, until about 1985 or so. I met Chris Smith the grandson of Christopher Columbus Smith-the guy who started the company. Good memories! Like Fisheye said, take it out and use it, or things will go bad. keep on top of things, charge the batteries, stop problems before it can cost you money. Make sure the stuffing boxes on the rudder and prop shaft has new packing, and tightened just enough to just drip every 10 seconds or so. Rudders maybe less. And check them often. I suggest a pretty big solar battery charger, and leave it hooked up when you are not in it. That is if you keep it in the water. Replace the zincs when they get corroded away-that is what they are for. Keep the bottom clean, scrape it every month and paint it every 2 years or less. If you keep it in the water again. Good luck-enjoy it! Steve.

OP
OP
V

vintagesailor

Jul 4, 2007
Good advice alhough I figure I will try to do the bottom eery year. When Im diving I naturally check the bottom and zincs. the only poblem so far is getting it out of the water, I have access to some davits but no lifting points.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris Craft does indeed make a a sound boat, I am running a 1977, 33 foot Cris Craft Corinthian.

Tom

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm restoring a 31' CC Commander, and agree that the early fiberglass Chris's are very durable, well built boats. The same hull was sold as an open fisherman, with twin engines. Good choice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread