michigan
Detector(s) used
whites mxt

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of blocks of silver were found on the Atocha.heres some pics of me picking up a 70lb bar that i found on a bench at Les Savage's xmas party last weekend.Some lady that was at the party brought it for show an let people play with it.

Attachments

• 70lbsilverxmaspartybar.jpg
    70lbsilverxmaspartybar.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 389
  • 70lbsilverbaratocha.jpg
    70lbsilverbaratocha.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 362

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive known les for 26 years.I met him when he brought his porsche to my body shop in winter park to get painted.Les still has a interest in the treasure game.Greg bounds an his investor plus many other treasure hunters an diver were at the xmas party.The shop is still off Forsythe Rd.Heres les doing a taste test on the Pig he roasted for the Xmas party.Hes the one wearing the gold coin.

Attachments

• lesanPIG.jpg
    lesanPIG.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 370
OP
OP
G

go deep

Greenie
Apr 11, 2006
michigan
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Fisheye maybe i wasnt very clear on my question. The way i understood how cobs were made is the silver was hammered out into long shafts as such and then chopped off a cob width at a time,which was the reason for the odd shapes. TAKE CARE GO DEEP

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Go Deep:

It's my understanding that the main reason cob coins were produced was to provide an easy and (most of the time) accurate method of creating uniform intrinsic value. The same logic applied to 'ingots'; perhaps even to the various sizes of discs of silver. Accurate value (by weight) was also used to determine the 'King's Fifth'.

The odd shapes of cob coins were created by the configuration of the actual bar from which the cob was produced AND by personnel at the mint trimming the cob to exact weight (ergo, many of the 'perfect cut' designs).

Fineness of the silver content and weight were required to give an accurate basis for total value (and the King's Fifth). Therefore, I don't believe silver ore or unweighed chunks of unused 'shafts' initially destined for the production of cob coins were shipped as cargo.

This does not rule out the possibility that what you are writing about doesn't exist around the mints that produced cob coins-- or smuggled aboard as contraband.

Merry Christmas,
Don.....

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Go deep,
I would have to agree with Don. The first shape of the cob would be deceided by the shape (roundness) of the bar it was cut from. After that, it would be shapped by the assayer as he clipped off/shaved edges until the proper weight was obtained.

As for the end of the bart when it couldnt be sliced any further, if it was of an acceptable weight and size, it would be assayed and stamped. I am sure just as many if not more were turned into contraband trade bars or "chunks". For the rare "honest assayer" they would simply be thrown back into the meltng pot and made part of the next bar. Be it for cob production or simply a bullion bar for shipment as shown in Fisheye's photo's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread