Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: fla state archies on the prowl ? seems "special" divers seen in the area

Scubafinder, you are absolutely correct concerning the reputation of the Fishers, and for the average shipwreck hunter without a track record and only limited resources. After discovering a shipwreck, possibly from the 1715 fleet, entering into a contract with the Fishers or another company with a track record would be a wise move, considering the requirements set forth by the state of Florida in the permitting process.
I saw that clause in the contract about subcontractors finding a wreck on there own while working as a subcontractor, and as I recall, that would remain in effect for a full year after your contract expires. I did not care for that part of the contract, as it included any wreck found in Florida waters, even if it were outside any of the Fisher leases.
However, in this scenario, Salvor Snuffy (not a subcontractor) has all the necessary resources and experience to qualify for a search and a recovery permit on his own. This brings us back to the original question "How can anyone have a legal claim to a shipwreck not yet found?" It has always been my understanding that under maritime law, you must first find (Law of Finds) the shipwreck, in order to lay claim to it.
Another thought, as there are currently several groups that have search permits up and down the Florida coast. Lets say that Rex finds a shipwreck inside his search lease off of Melbourne Beach, and he gets a recovery permit for this wreck from the state. About half way into the recovery phase he finds a gold bar that matches the manifest for one of the 1715 galleons...

vulcan007

Dec 4, 2007

Ahoy mates!

is thier a proof of this ship? what artifects been found? tha state need proof of wreck to give permit for gettin booty. tha state won't give permit if mate has no proof or capitel for recoverin booty. if i wes iven and got me proof, i woulda meet with tha fisherrs in person. bringa witness and take pics and record evry conversation with them. git a lawyer that know these things.

if noting done, ye have no claim ovr that wreck. first needa proof and needa capitel. talk is noting!

This olde mate know. ;)

alot of mates make stuff up to stirr trouble in this forem. :-X

V

vulcan007

Dec 4, 2007

some mateys aren' t freindly and nicee! :(

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

well the states still "hanging" tough -- even with big guns willing and onboard -- they will not seem to budge or care frankly -- its a catch 22 deal --- I've basically proven thru my research that the wreck is there --- the normal get a chunk of wreckage to "show the state" can not legally occur --- since you can not legally take anything from an "aquatic preserve zone" --- to prove your case by taking wreckage stuff to show the state you automatically break the law thus subjecting you to arrest and causimg you to be branded a LOOTER thus killing any chance of any thing good happening in regards to the wreck site (lots of bad could happen but no good) --- I as a "small fry" with limited funds but great research and info see good reason to hook up with the fishers -- it makes sense to hook up with the real pro's who have the gear, personal and funding needed to do the job thus making the whole permitting process much easier and quicker --- even so things are a a stand still ---- funny thing the state has allowed allowed sand dredging for beach renewal in the area nearby several years ago and also this year in areas that are part of the "aquatic preserve" --- hey moving sand around is moving sand around -- why is it ok for one group yto do it but not others? that does kinda torque my shorts.---- Ivan

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk

Mad4, THANKS!!! Pirate ebonics getting old!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Ivan, your project may still be possible, at least as a purely archaeological expedition- if you can hook up with the Nassau County Historical Society or some other non-profit organization? You can always make some money on the book and documentary rights.
Read below:

Historical Society of Martin County: With the encouragement of UAP staff, the Society has
submitted a grant application to the Bureau of Historic Preservation for a survey of the historic
shipwrecks in Martin County. The project proposal is in partnership with the Institute for
International Maritime Research, a well-known non-profit marine archaeology survey and
assessment group. The area, which is thought to contain the remains of Reformation and
Nantwich, wrecked in a storm in 1696 and described in the Quaker classic Jonathan Dickinson’s
Journal, is a Reserve Area and has never been adequately surveyed. If the grant is awarded UAP
staff will assist where necessary in evaluation of results.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

oh no doubt if I want to go no profeit and "give the wreck away" --to the state of florida and some university so they can get the mitts on everything with nothing in it for me but a "gee thanks" and maybe a brief bit in the local paper --- "man finds ship " --- I'm sure it can be "arranged" --- but that seems to be a rather nasty deal to me after all my hard work --to get nothing at all fiscally in any way -- in exchange for all my effort and time spent researching stuff -- I know the wreck is there -- and I want to to share it with the world ---- is a small bit of the value of the wreck too much to ask? -- say a 5 % of the gross value as a "finders fee"of sorts -- if so --then let it sit on the bottom --- if the GRABBERMINT is so greedy that they will not allow a man his once in lifetime dream to find a valuible shipwreck and enjoy the fruit of his labor then let them find their own dang wrecks to plunder rather than expect us to "hand" over our "finds" on a silver platter to them. --- I'm not a happy camper over this (sorry if I sound a bit crabby, but trust me if you were in my shoes you would not be very happy either.) Ivan

vulcan007

Dec 4, 2007

Matey Iven- doccument evreything about tis wreck and mailit to yerself to git officcial gavernmint datey. kip the envalope sealed and putit awey safely. git yerself a lawyr if possibel. don't beliave all stuff soma fellas write here. talka with fisherrs againa bout tis findin. try to meett with them in parson. bringa witness and keepa log of all yer conversatons. if ya do these thingies righty ye will git yerself soma booty percent (aska fer 10% to tell them where tha ship is found). dont'a give them any informetion unlesss ye see thier committment on inka nd paper. goode luck fella matey!

V ;)

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

oh ink and paper it be yes indeed since its got to be provible in court if needed -- emails are public and permant records -- I got all of my e mails with the state "on record" --by fla's sun shine laws --they are public record and they show when I told the state archies of my wreck and also what I told the "state" archie types . same with the others --I'm no fool --I've got proof of who was told what by me and when I told em.--- Ivan

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk

Ivan,

I Know where your coming from: before the state stop Md on the beach side of
North Talbot Island's . There's over 6 major wrecks from 1560 to 1700's . It's so screwed-up
how the state let's are history dissolves in the saltwater..

Good luck.

sapper

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

the nassau sound area between little talbot and amelia island is a very rich area old wreck wize (mid 1500's to early 1700's era spanish exploration and treasure vessels) plus several later english lumber era wrecks (early 1810 to 1816 time frame mainly) -- plus a several american vessels 1880 to early 1900 's end of the sailing vessel trade ship era wrecks --- its the grave yard of many vessels -- and some of them are highly valuible ones. the closing of the southern tip of amelia island to metal detecting was a real disservice to the local metal detectorist in the area.

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk

Ivan,

The Sound, and N/S Beachside is loaded with over 25 wrecks. your issue is another
sample of fl archies letting are history dissolve away . Keep your notes, maybe one day it will change.
unless everyone starts writting to change the ruling in that area. that's the only way. the south end
is open, see if you can find something in that area.

good luck sapper

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

for beach detecting the southern end of talbot is open--- but frankly I've found it to be a bit disappointing esp the high $4 enterance "fee" -- the water off shore all the way to the st johns river enterance running out to the 3 mile "state" limit is all "aquatic preserve zone" - yes there is sometimes items of interest that wash up on the southern end beaches mainly from some of the (untouchible) wrecks off shore the southern end and near the river mouth of the st johns river there are some there ---but its nothing like whats at the northern end of talbot and nassau sound area and the state knows it too. Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread