How safe is air from a gas powered hookah unit??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi everyone I was wondering how safe is the air that you breathe when using a gas powered hookah unit? I know about the snorkel for the unit, most comes with one but was wondering if carbon monoxide can still get in even though it retrieves air higher than engine? Does any one know of any mishaps concerning the use of a gas powered hookah unit? Thanks for your input!! Aloha ;D

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Hey Goldfever how long is your bottom time with the 110 volt compressor on a car battery? I talked to airline and they claim that one of their units can last up to 2 hours but the only problem is that the battery weighs alot. Does anyone else use a gas powered hookah? I would love to hear back from you!! What does everyone on the treasure coast use off of the ships?

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
I have used gas a lot while gold dredging. It is not a problem as long as you have the snorkel in place and it has no leaks. The only problem I have ever known of was when a friend of mine overlooked assembling the snorkel while dredging for several hours and got pretty sick for a few days. It can happen if you don't use your equipment correctly.
Also, you really need to take some diving lessons if you haven't already done so. Even with a hookah in shallow water there are things you need to know about, lots of things. Diving classes are cheap and easy, as compared to having something bad happen to you from lack of knowledge.
I have seen some of your post and I really think that gas would do well for you if you aren't too close to any tourist or anyone that may object to the constant noise. Of course, you can always muffle it down more than the standard muffler and it shouldn't bother anyone. Not nearly as loud as a jet ski or outboard motor.
Don't be afraid of using a gas hookah. They are made to work with safety in mind. They will get the job done. Good luck... HH Highwater

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Thanks Highwater I really appreciate your info and looking forward in using a gas hookah! I am certified in scuba diving but need the hours underwater to find the goodies! It really takes time in finding all the good stuff! So thanks for all of your input I really do appreciate everyones comments! Aloha ;D

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey Makaha...

I have used gas powered hookah units for shallow underwater work (hull cleaning, mooring repairs, zincs, props, etc) and have accumulated thousands of hours on them. I have had to two unfavorable episodes (accidents, oh-crap, now what? situations) with them.

The first one was while cleaning a commercial fishing boat at the dock. I brought the compressor down to the dock side, was halfway through cleaning the hull and all of a sudden, the compressor stopped. Just prior to the unexpected stop, the hose filled with water and a cup full was pumped into the mask... :o The compressor "walked" off the edge of the dock after a couple of good sized boat wakes. :-[
Lesson learned... tie down/secure the compressor to the dock somehow or to the dock cleats.

The second one was during hull cleaning again, this time the compressor was mounted in my dive boat. and all of a sudden, I felt nauseous, dizzy and light headed. I surfaced and threw off the mask (full face commercial EXO-26) and barely made it back into the boat. I found that the bolt holding the "snorkel" breathing air intake filter, had snapped and the intake filter fell over and landed about two inches from the gas engine exhaust muffler!!! >:(
Lesson learned... check the mounting hardware of the breathing air intake assembly or remote the breathing air intake assembly higher and farther away from the gas exhaust muffler.

In both situations, I was at about 7 feet of water and was able to surface safely and quickly on half a breath of air. Had I been at a much deeper depth, the outcome may not have been very positive. The second episode left me with a severe headache and nausea from the carbon monoxide poisoning... but I survived and was happy to be back at work the next day.

The equipment is essentially safe, you just have to keep up with the maintenance, keep the fuel tank filled, anticipate mishaps and take appropriate precautions. Good luck... hope this helped,

Wayne

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
I´ve used gas powered compressors for 17 years in the commercial sea cucumber and urchin diving industries in Alaska here. An Emglo or Quincy wheel barrel type compressor with a Honda motor is the usual standard here. Run mineral oil in a new one first for a few hours to clean out any residual oil in it from the manufacturing process. Empty out and put non -petroleum dive oil in. The filter should be something like a Bullard AF 52. It is a charcoal filter. 3-4 hundred feet of hose and you´re good to go with the usual dive gear. If you are putting it on a larger boat, just use flexible plastic tubing for your air intake with 2 hose clamps. Run it up the mast or some other higher location and secure it well.
Another gas operated compressor to use for diving is the thomas or Gast oil-less compressors...you don´t even need a filter system for these...and a gast will set you back only 600 bucks...use a plate to mount it and a motor with a belt between them to drive it and you are in. We use the oil-less in the 40 mile river and other locals when dredging for gold.
Happy Hunting...Fortunate

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
How deep can you go with one of these hookah rigs? Fortunate said 3-400 feet of hose so I would assume maybe 100 ft deep? Do you carry a dive computer or something else to keep up with bottom time? I know commercial divers go really deep with surface supplied air but theyalso use mixed gasses. What type of regulator do you use with these rigs? Do you have a bailout bottle? I got a bunch more questions. I've been thinking about getting one of these for quite some time. I want to use it scallop diving and other work but we get to 80-90FSW quite regularly. I also am looking at full face mask. Anyone got any suggestions, I really like the Kirby-Morgan -18/28 bandmasks, but they are way to pricey. Would this type mask work with a compressor that gets 10 cfm@100 PSI. Like I said I need it to get to 100 feet SAFELY.

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
Dell Winders said:
One thing to consider using full face mask and hookah, if the compressor stops and the check valve fails it will suck the eyeballs out of your head. Dell

Seems possible, but not probable. If this was the case, why would the commercial diving industry use surface supplied air? could it happen with a mask and not a diving helmet? Very interesting theory though! You definately have my attention!

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
holy crap! Sounds like if I go this route I'll be getting double check valves!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: Actually there are many sites on the internet complete with tables that can answer your questions nicely. You have been given excellent advice already in here.

As for surface units, the problem of supplying clean air is mostly just common sense, watch your intake location, mounting. As for noise, you can utilize an under water exhaust chamber.

Most common diaphragm compressors will supply one diver to 100 ft with mild exertion

For serious deep work, obviously you need a special piston one, AND a very good oil / air separator..

If you do any diving , always learn your tables, just going up from a compressed air dive to 10 ft in a swimming pool with full lungs, can cause serious trouble. if you don't follow the rules. Exhale and follow your bubbles up

As was mentioned, always secure your motor / compressor. Once while I was diving with surface air, alone as usual, I saw my motor / compressor landing next to me at 30 ft, sheehs a kinda weird feeling, however, a leasurely ascent carrying my unit with me, while breathing out created no problems.

But if I had panicted and had not breathed out, I might have had serious problems with lung hemorrhaging.

I learned to dive by myself before the certification programs and class rooms came into existence using the standard navy diving tables. Still an excellent book by the way. For graduation my friend, who was a commercial diver trained by Al Mikalo in Sausalito, Calif, gave me the final test.

He made me dive down to 10 ft, disassemble the diving gear completely, including flippers, while still using the regulator, then disconnect the regulator from the tank, swim the length of the pool, return, then breath out of the exit of the tank only for two minutes, reconnect the regulator, commence breathing out of the regulator again, reassemble the equipment, swim the length of the pool, return to 10 ft, then ascend.

Believe me, after that, you have complete confidence in yourself, even if your equipment fails. As long as you have air in your tank, you know you are still ok, and do not panic.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
------- DANGER --------

Many years ago a YMCA diving instructor friend of mine was demonstrating
the technique of breathing air directly from the valve on the tank without a
regulator. His technique involved cupping the free hand over the hole in the
high pressure valve. This diverted the air stream to his mouth. When he opened
the valve on the tank the air rushed out from under his hand and entered the
back of his eye socket causing sever damage to his optical nerves. He went
blind in that eye about one year later.

If you elect to attempt this procedure make sure you do it right and only in an
extreme emergency.

You can take this for what it's worth but I am a retired commercial diver with
54 years experience.

Dinkydick

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI DD: You are quite correct. I neglected to say that the hi-pressure air only went into your mouth with no cupping , the excess simply blows out of the corners of your mouth / lips, along with water . Naturally the valve is only barly cracked, so no large volumn of air is involved.

I was merely mentioning what I had to do to pass the test, not giving advice on techniques, however you are correct to clarify it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those training techniques were banned by all the certification agencys over 20 years ago. It was found that those exercises didn't make a safe diver nor prepare a diver for open water. It also eliminated many capable students (mostly women) from getting certified. Another stone age practise that was banned is the blacked out mask.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Scuba salvor, I agree, it didn't make a safe diver, but it did make one that could "cope" in an emergency.

Presumably, a "safe " diver doesn't get into those situations where such a thing is needed --- but !!!

I am a commercial multi engine land and sea pilot, trained by the USAF, (civ. lic. # 1087851). We were / are taught spin recovery. This isn't taught in civilian courses any more since aircraft are supposedly designed spin resistant, and it "frightened" some students. Every year, a no of civilian fatal aircraft accidents are caused by an aircraft entering into a spin, especially light twins. Conclusions?

At Al Mikalo's diving school, they trained you in 15 ft of effective mud. When you left, you were capable of operating anywhere in the world, under any conditions. Today the schools are in beautiful, clean, hi visibility water. So which would be the better qualified / trained diver?

The stone age techniques have their place. I cannot see where they would eliminate women from being certified? Many are far better than most males under water. Are we becoming similar to schools where no-one can be flunked because of the poor self image that it may cause, or should we be more concerned with the safety factor?

Don Jose de La Mancha

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I would have to agree! There are many practices that PADI and other groups do not teach, but certainly seem more practical in an emergency.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately PADI seems to have turned into a for profit franchise generator. I guess it doesn't serve business well to scare your clients any more than necessary. I'm surprised they don't offer a "Hookah" specialty rating seeing as they have found one for just about any other activity done underwater (or do they).

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
Bell..the 3-4 hundred feet of hose is for latitude...to move around a ways from the area of the compressor..not for depth... we usually go no deeper than 70 feet for cukes. It is not a good idea to go much deeper than 100- 110 feet from the surface with gas operated compressors as I have described. It gets too hard to draw air. Of course a check valve is always used along with a pony bottle for emergency use if needed.
Fortunate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions