What does "Nuestra Senora de" mean?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Re: What does "Nuestra Senora de" mean?

Nuestra Senora de Atocha translates as "Our Lady of Atocha"

Robert

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

" Wikipedia " a internet encyclopedia ???

So much knowledge, So little time. ::)

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the answer, Rgecy. Appreciate it.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Our Lady of

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box

The second question is:

What does means "American"?

Amona

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amona said:
The second question is:

What does means "American"?

Amona

Well a long long time a go...when we were a proud Country, and before the ACLU, the PRESS, the bleeding heart Liberals and the Politically correct movement that we are so entrenched in today...
I would think that we would have handled Spain and this issue in a different way, totally different from today...see back in the good ole days when America actually was American...we would have told Spain to go &%^$ themselves...and Spain would do so...and we as Americans would be enjoying that 17 tons of booty, if Spain wanted, they could come over to our Country and view some of it...in a Museum.

I cannot answer your question on what does "American" mean anymore...I know what it use to stand for... and so did every other Country who ever challenged us.

and so without hijacking the post, yes...Our Lady of.

Trez

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

in days of old it was normal to give spanish vessels a "religious name" for invoking "holy protection" -- "nuestra senora de"_____ means "our lady of"__________ as catholics the term was a very commonly used our lady of carmen, concepcion ,ect.

spanish vessels would often have 2 or even 3 "names" -- it 's "offical" name --its "religious name" ---and often a "nick name"

a prime exsample is the 1715 dutch galera (galley class) vessel captured by Echeverz while he was in porto bello. panama --he made it part of his fleet -- naming it SENORA DE LA POPA -- also it was called SAN MIGUEL *--- and also LA HOLANDESA (THE DUTCH)

* not to be confused with the larger nao class vessel SAN MIGUEL * also in his fleet

American means the people who saved europe & most likely the whole world in world war two from being taken over -- who took no land afterwards other than the land needed to bury our dead soldiers -- who let the war debts for supplies given to our allies to be forgiven --and who did not saddle the losers with massive war repayments from world war 2--- who helped rebuild our foes rather than allow them to live in wretched conditions after the war ( the marshall plan) --- kind to all and generous in victory .

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006

ivan salis said:
American means the people who saved europe & most likely the whole world in world war two from being taken over -- who took no land afterwards other than the land needed to bury our dead soldiers -- who let the war debts for supplies given to our allies to be forgiven --and who did not saddle the losers with massive war repayments from world war 2--- who helped rebuild our foes rather than allow them to live in wretched conditions after the war ( the marshall plan) --- kind to all and generous in victory .
Im not sure what this have got to do with TH and shipwrecks but what the hell - I'll bite :)

As a Dane i'm gratefull of US intervening but your understanding of modern hisory is a bit simplistic(contrary to the colonial era i might add :))
Russia had much more soldiers involved in the war and its casualties where much higher than any other country in the war. They payed the price of victory. In fact modern historians claim that the victory was due even without the US intervention. It would have taken several years and many millions of deads more. It would be the victory that you dont realy want but the message is: Russia could have won the war(in Europe) without the US but vice-versa is not necessary the case :)

The Marshall plan was a strike of geniuos. It helped western Europe to rebuild and reenter the world again and by using the aid as power projektion US got immense influence in the European politics - it helped to keep the communism out of western Europe. Also this generoussity helped to convert US wartime industry into more peacefull activities and thereby keeping up production in the US. So the Marshall aid enabled your living standard as weel as ours :)

Finally let me state that im gratefull of the US intervention and im quite fond of your nation, and this is not a US bashing.

/V

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

us supplies help keep russia in the war -- yes russia paid a massive cost in man power to defeat the nazis -- but then they tried to do much the same thing by taking over the contries they freed --- america did not -- that is a major differance between how the the old USSR and the USA dealt with the contries they freed . Ivan

the danes have been always been good friends with us and were brave fighters losing many people during the "dutch" resistance of WW2

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006

ivan salis said:
us supplies help keep russia in the war -- yes russia paid a massive cost in man power to defeat the nazis -- but then they tried to do much the same thing by taking over the contries they freed --- america did not -- that is a major differance between how the the old USSR and the USA dealt with the contries they freed . Ivan
Thats what I meant by a victory you dont realy want. We are thankfull that the UK troops that liberated Denmark and not the Soviets. Actually Bornholm, an Danish island in the Baltic, was occupied by soviet forces more than a year after the end of WW2.

/V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread