1obxdiver

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2005
Morganton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
none yet
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello People ! I have been watching and reading this forum for at least a couple years ,have watched scuba seeker evolve and the whole AAArggg dive team and the Who wants to dive for treasure thread !, along with all the other advances in this forum , I have been searching ..not hard enough.. I would like to know if anyone knows where I can find a report of the day from the Navy ??? and how to go about it .we have been diving a few sites here locally and just want some more info. Thanks in advance Dave

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey again, Dave. I believe we spoke (maybe emailed) back when we were working on the Virginia Gold Project. Good to hear from you again. It's probably smart that you've been doing more reading than telling :wink:

I gotta confess I have no idea what you're talking about as far as a "report of the day from the Navy." Can you expound? I assume you're not talking about the NOAA marine forecast. I'm sure someone smarter than me knows what you're talking about. ;D

Best to you,
Darren

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
been a long time since the word expound! but, i must ask you to expound also friend! b

OP
OP

1obxdiver

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2005
Morganton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
none yet
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Darren I do believe we did have some communication with the VGP , I remember talking with Robert also. The daily report I would like to see is navy daily log of activity in a given area during that day to confirm a possible wreck site . this would have been back in 1943 I'm still in the armchair mode of discovery, I will need much more information before I start the actual search . Does the Navy archive have something like that ? and where would it be? DC ? . I know there are some people here (t netters) that have been there and done all that and more . I have some net drag # for the general location, however I would like to get as close as possible before investing in the Shell oil Co. I know what you mean about the smarter than feeling here , but I couldn't hold back any longer , I 'm quite sure anyone who responds will have more research experience than me , etc. did I expound enough ? thanks in advance again Dave

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dave, thanks for expounding ;D. I think you may be talking about AWOIS. You can download the Navy's (and fishermen's) records of potential wreck sites. It dates back to before WWII and is pseudo-current. I hope this helps...

http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/hsd/hsd-3.html

Salvor007

Dec 17, 2007
I think he is looking for the ship's log book, which obviously don't usually survive on ships that are wrecked or blown apart. But other ships involved in the altercation may have the information recorded in their logs.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Depends on what ship you are looking for. Some ships kept a copy of their log book at the port. Thats why there are log books of lost Spanish vessels in the archives.

OP
OP

1obxdiver

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2005
Morganton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
none yet
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am looking for a record..the Navy was called out to confirm a sinking and was said to be there at 1530...3:30 but I don't know the name or port of the ship, only the area it was called to, an the date in time are all accurate ,just looking to confirm from a more reliable source and better location, measurements back then didn't seem as accurate as they are now,and a few thousand sq ft at 120 ft depth , it will take me eons of time and more fuel than I can afford ,I don't think my computer can handle the NOAA web site ,I will try the one at work, thanks again Dave

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dave, you might also do some searching for Navy veteran's groups or forums on the internet. A few years back, I was looking for an aircraft crash site and found out what bomber wing the aircraft was assigned to. Then I found a forum for members of that bomber group, and with a little persistence, I actually talked to a survivor of the crash and got a first hand account! Many of the old heroes from WWII use the internet to communicate, if there were any survivors, you may find a detailed account posted, or even an actual survivor.

Just a thought, it sure helped me once. Best of luck!

Jason

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
There are several sources of information related to war casualties off the U.S. -- I am guessing by your screen name you are in NC.
Sounds like you want the Eastern Sea Frontier War Diary. This lists activities of USN vessels, enemy observations, attack reports, etc. You can obtain this from the National Archives. A sampling of this can be found online here:
http://www.uboatarchive.net/ESF.htm
To get a taste, scroll down and click on the flag next to "War Diary of the Eastern Sea Frontier April 1942" and then scroll down to Appendix 7, "Enemy Action Diary"
This will get you started and will identify ships involved with a attack (responders) so you can narrow down subsequent searches.
Another good source of info off NC are the wreck survey reports from the USCGC GENTIAN, also obtained from the National Archives.
NARA also has information on aerial survey flights by USCG and USN aircraft looking for U-boats, and they mention sightings of burning or sunken ships.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mike
http://uwex.us

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Obxdiver,

You said you have some net drag numbers. If youre familiar with Gary Gentile's popular dive series; he has 2 books on NC and 1 on VA shipwrecks (plus several other good books for different areas). In the back of the books he gives 100s of loran coordinates for hang numbers in ascending order for the respective areas. It may be a good start to cross reference the numbers that you have. For copyright reasons I would rather not "photocopy' the numbers but if you would like more info, pm me or email me at [email protected] and I can let you borrow one of the books (I have 2 sets of the NC series).

Thanks and good luck.

-Daniel

OP
OP

1obxdiver

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2005
Morganton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
none yet
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow ! Thanks for all the input its been kinda fun watching this site work for others ,it is pretty exciting to review advise directed to my issues, I do have the Gentil series for NC and we have done some comparison net dragging ...whew that is the long way and spendy $, I think by just a little more ....probably a lot more research and I will come up with some better answers to my question , I have found some very helpful people in places that actually have the Deck reports , however finding the name of the ship will be a much faster way to the end result . Scuba Finder alias scubaseeker....yeah I was watchin you,I did do the veterans web site and came up with an actual survivor from a wreck we dive alot ,but looking back he really wasn't very helpful at all , he was and still is very. very cool. Barney ,thanks a ton for the info I will be into all of it asap , there are definitely a lot of different levels of... ...........Ah WISDOM available on this site I just haven't been brave as to dive in and expose my self :-[, this is my second research endeavor ,but there is just to much out there , to discover and you all know to much to sit on. Hey Privateer I PM d ya Thanks again just 1 obx diver .Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread