wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STUART, Fla. (AP) -- A Florida man who has a dozen cardboard boxes filled with items from shipwrecks may have to turn over some of his treasures after inviting the state to see his finds.

Mike Myers has collected copper and bronze, coral bearing the imprint of a dagger and other fragments of shipwrecks and their cargo in recent years. After writing to Florida officials to invite them to see his collection, however, he was told the state may seize the artifacts.

Taking items from a shipwreck site requires a license, which Myers doesn't have. But Myers says he collected items from the beach, which is allowed.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Myers likely won't be visited by officials seeking his treasures any time soon. Budget woes mean travel for state officials is limited.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
wreckdiver1715 said:
Budget woes mean travel for state officials is limited.

I guess that's why they didn't bother coming to the sub-contractors meeting? Personaly, I'd commend the guy for doing the right thing...there are a lot of people who wouldn't consider the historical value that might be present in what they find. They should show him in a positive light, and it might encourage others to come forward too. But instead, they make him sound like a potential criminal, pretty much ensuring that they will not see future beach finds from other hunters, they'll now be afraid to come forward.

I rarely question their motives, but their actions are often short-sighted and not conducive to their own stated goals.

Jason

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Jason-
Amen! You said it, brother. I saw the article in the paper yesterday and had exactly the same thoughts.
If Florida Archies WANT to save antiquities as they seem to propose to do (and not just BAN any and all salvage) then cooperation and fair practices must be in place. Until that occurs......people will do as they deem fair ie: finders keepers.
By the way, dude- have a great 17
15 season!! We're workin on it ((*&^%$# boat !!) Mike

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whassup Mike! Haven't heard from you in a long time. I've still got some work to do on our boat as well, if I ever get back to Florida that is. I feel like a nomad treasure hunter lately, but it's been a great tour of the country and very worth my while. :D

I know and like most of the state guys, and I look forward to the day when we all work together again. Unfortunately they rarely do anything anymore due to budget cuts. It's sad that our heritage plays such a small role when budget time rolls around. I certainly don't envy the position they are in, but they should still be trying to do the best they can with what they are given. 40+ shipwreck exploration boats on the east coast picking over the wrecks we have known about for 50 years are hardly accomplishing anything of archaeological value. A few new salvage permits are in order in my opinion, but who am I. :D

Jason

scottone928

Jun 9, 2007
Green Cove Springs, Fl
I am fairly new to treasure hunting and do not understand why our state operates the way that it does when it comes to treasure. Why not have the state and the average Joe treasure hunter work together? Don't they understand that there will be countless people just take their chances on getting what they can and what good does that do the state? Why not make salvage permits easier and work together? It is just sad the way it is now.

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scottone928, you are so very correct. However, back in 2005 the State of Florida, Department of Historacle Resources did away with a program that did just what you describe. That program was called the "Isolated Finds Program". Under this program, if you found an artifact of historic significance, and reported it to the DHR along with the location in a small one page report, you were allowed to keep the artifact.
However, the state did away with this program sighting that they did not have the funds to maintain the data base, along with the insinuation that not enough people were using the system. Coincidentally, there was allot of discussion that river divers were recovering a significant number of Indian artifacts and selling them on the black market.
Finds made on the beach have always been considered of little archaeological value due to the high energy and constantly changing conditions. Thus the location of the beach finds has always been considered of very little significance, until now.
The majority of shipwreck salvors work the beaches during the winter months or off season, near locations that research indicates one may find a shipwreck. Typically, the winter months bring allot of beach erosion due to heavy seas along the coast, that can often uncover artifacts that have been buried for along time, or that have been broken loose from the ocean floor and tossed up onto the beach.
As such, we should be alarmed at the states apparent attitude, and change of the rules of engagement with the treasure hunting community concerning metal detecting on the beach. The state DHR should site Mike for doing a good thing, and being a cooperative good citizen, instead of threatening him with the seizure of his finds.

Tom

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree that this indicates a dangerous precedent on the part of the state. Having found a complete ships keel, and been blown off by the "experts" at the state level, respect for them is in short supply in my house.

All this does is reinforce the desire to keep quiet about anything found. Their (state bozos) actions are counterproductive and further alienate the treasure hunting community.

Bill

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm..maybe its what might be called....GDS....Greedy Dragon Syndrome...instead of one dragon sitting on a hoard of treasure..the state antiquties guys might be likened to a bunch of little dragons..all guarding the same big hoard of florida's treasure and they... like the dragons of fable..only desire more...and more... and want some of your little pile too because well..hmm...wait ...they have lawyers working for 'em on the public dime!...and something to do with katherine Harris but that part of the theory isn't supported yt for me to mention...

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Geez, I just spent the last 2 days photographing my personal collection of coins and artifacts. :coffee2: From beach finds, trades, auctions, a few purchases and some from legal state divisions. They're from Padre Island - 1554, Atocha - 1622, the Concepcion - 1641, 1715 and 1733 fleet wrecks. All were properly and legally obtained and I was going to post the pics on a web site for others to see, enjoy, study and learn from, but now I am not so sure I want to help educate anyone via the web. :icon_scratch: Perhaps I will just keep them in my traveling educational exhibit for when I do lecture's and presentations at school, libraries and museums. :-\

Although, if they dont have the funds to travel within florida, I dont think they would bother me at nearly 1200 miles away.

P

paddy.mick

Actually sounds like the law gave him the brush off anyway. It's beach stuff and beach stuff belongs to the finder. The article says that Mr. McClarnnon (don't think that's the current gentleman working for the state; thought it was a "Smith") asked for pictures...likely he saw a bunch of pull tabs in those boxes.
It also says Mr. Myers is going to work as a commercial diver?? I guess that truck just winged him, no?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan McClarnon had no excuse for not making it to the fisher contractors meeting.Lack of money from the state wouldnt have affected him since his diesel truck burns free veggie oil that he collects.There must have been some other reason why he didnt show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread