20yrs in Survey industry

Nohope587

Jan 7, 2006
No Fixed abode
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just thought I would throw out an offer here.
I have almost 20 years experience in marine survey. Pretty much if its used for finding pipelines cables or wrecks I have used it.
If anyone needs sidescan or Mag interp done. I can post process. I don't have a lot of free time as I am still actively involved in the survey business. But if anyone has any survey data processing requirements or would like to call on my talents. I am reasonably CAD proficient as well. Basically I would not mind using my skills for fun work now and again. I would be looking for some form of compensation for my time of course but its wide open for negotiation.

Mods if I am breaking any rules please delete this post.

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
hi no hope,
we need to get together sometime for a brew would love to challange your skills with some data i have amassed over the years.
scubafinder can attest to the challanges we have had in the many days of post processing data we have spent.
send me an email some time and lets chat................ ;D

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Hi No Hope,

Over the past many years I have installed many a cable and lots of pipe (the largest
was 16 feet in diameter). Lengths have been in the miles.

Years ago fiber optic cables didn't have any metal associated with their makeup. I am
sure that over the years metal was introduced for tracking and locating purposes. I would like to know if this is standard practice now days? Is the metal ribbon throughout the entire length of the newer cables with connections made at splice
locations. I have a cable tracker which injects a signal into submerged cables and
a receiver to help locate it. It didn't work with the older fiberoptic as there was no
metal for the signal to travel on.

Also PVC pipes are hard to locate without a metal tracer. The 16 foot diameter
pipe I mentioned above was 3500 feet long and made entirely of fibeglas with
no metal hardware used in connecting the 50 foot (50 ton) pieces together. It was
the worlds largest ever installed underwater back in 1977.

My point is that without any metal, magnetometers are quite useless. However, I
do own four at present and I am building another.

Welcome aboard

Dinkydick

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
RIOBRAVO said:
scubafinder can attest to the challanges we have had in the many days of post processing data we have spent.

Yes, I can attest to that Joe. No Hope, Joe has some data that will actually put your skills (and mind) to the test, as opposed to just "going through the motions" of data post-processing. After much effort, I managed to get some pretty decent stuff out of it, but I'd sure like to see what you could finesse out also.

Jason

OP
OP
Nohope587

Nohope587

Jan 7, 2006
No Fixed abode
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
For your plastic pipes I would suggest a high frequency Chirp system (Sub bottom Profiler) or a Multibeam system for larger diameter pipes.
Unless its a festoon system most fibre optic cables have a copper screen to provide power to the repeaters. (In line amps)
I am familiar with tone induction systems and quite often use the TSS or Inovatum systems to find cables. There used to be a system on the market called ESP (No Joke) used fro locating small diameters pipes in swamp areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread